Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2024, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A

Qualification Requirements

PQM: 25,000
PQS: 30
PQD: $3,000*
4 flight segments on UA or United Express

*PQD requirement is waived if either of the two conditions are met:
1. With $25k spend on across Chase UA Visa cards where the MileagePlus member is the primary cardholder
2. MileagePlus member is a current, primary cardholder of United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card

Marriott Titanium members also receive complimentary Premier Silver Status

Published Benefits

Complimentary Access to Economy Plus: At check-in
Economy Plus companions allowed: 1
Complimentary Premier Upgrades: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades for companion: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades confirmation: Day of departure
Instant upgrades on Y- or B-class full-fare economy tickets
500 PQM minimum accrual: Yes
Award miles on United and United Express and select partner airlines: 7 x fare
Priority check-in: Yes
Priority screening: Yes (where available)
Boarding group: 2
Priority baggage handling: Yes
Dedicated phone line: Yes
Access to most sold-out flights: Yes
Complimentary checked baggage allowance for domestic economy tickets: 1 bag at 50lbs (23 kg)
Unrestricted access to Standard Awards on UA and UX: Yes
Better access to Saver Awards: Yes
Booking a MileagePlus award ticket by phone: $25
Close-in ( T-24)?
A: Yes (it may appear to want to charge you but it should not

Q: What are the odds I will get a CPU?
A: Sadly, much lower than you probably want to believe. There seems to be slightly better odds on typical vacation routes--e.g., CUN, MCO, FLL, etc.

Q: I checked in exactly at T-24, and my name was #1 on the upgrade list. A few hours later, I'm suddenly #10 on the list! What gives?
A: This post gives a good explanation why. Basically, those with higher upgrade priority checked-in after you, and they be placed above you on the upgrade list. The harsh reality is that you only have priority only above non-rev travelers.

Q: I'm Marriott Titanium Elite, how do I get my Premier Silver status?
A: Go to https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/

Q: If I requalify as a Marriott Titanium Elite, do I have to renew my complimentary Premier Silver status every year?
A: Yes

Q: How can I get a United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card?
A: Sorry, it is no longer offered.

Q: I qualified for Premier Silver this year (2016). The expiration date on the app says 1/31/2017. Shouldn't it be 1/31/2018?
A: The expiration date will automatically update to 2018 in 2017.

Print Wikipost

United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2018, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by goodtasting
My SO is united silver but i am not. If i book award tickets foe the two of us with her as my companion, do we get economy plus seating selection within 24h of departure? Or is it only if the SO is the one who booked the ticket?
If she is on the same PNR, you will both automatically be eligible to choose E+ seats at check-in. It does not matter whose miles were used.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:51 am

Programs: UA MP
Originally Posted by findark
If she is on the same PNR, you will both automatically be eligible to choose E+ seats at check-in. It does not matter whose miles were used.
My SO is united silver but i am not. If i book award tickets foe the two of us with her as my companion, do we get economy plus seating selection within 24h of departure? Or is it only if the SO is the one who booked the ticket?
Occasionally the system would not recognize the status even with the MP# one the reservation, if the reservation was booked by the non-status holder. If this is the case, I'd call to check in and have the seats selected by the phone agent, you can also checkin with an agent at the airport.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
Originally Posted by erickliu
Occasionally the system would not recognize the status even with the MP# one the reservation, if the reservation was booked by the non-status holder. If this is the case, I'd call to check in and have the seats selected by the phone agent, you can also checkin with an agent at the airport.
Note that sometimes it appears that status is not being recognised as, at check in, there is still a $ amount displayed for each E+ seat. In that situation, it may still be giving status its due, and if check in is completed no fees should be assessed. Only need to engage a human if it ultimately won't give E+ without a fee.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:41 pm

Thanks for the quick replies, all!
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
Note that sometimes it appears that status is not being recognised as, at check in, there is still a $ amount displayed for each E+ seat. In that situation, it may still be giving status its due, and if check in is completed no fees should be assessed. Only need to engage a human if it ultimately won't give E+ without a fee.
this typically, IME, is only the case for downline segments more than 24 hours away. I.e, check in online at T-24 before the CLE-ORD flight, but is 27 hours before the onward flight to PHX. In that case, the CLE-ORD flight won’t appear to have a cost for E+, but ORD-PHX will, but after selecting, it won’t attempt to collect a payment.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Gold
Why can't I pick my economy plus seat?

I just checked in for my IAH-BQN via EWR flight tomorrow. For some reason it wouldn't let me pick an economy plus seat for the EWR-BQN leg. I know this flight is outside 24 hours but I thought that if the first leg is inside 24 hours you can pick seats for all the legs.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by salisboss
I just checked in for my IAH-BQN via EWR flight tomorrow. For some reason it wouldn't let me pick an economy plus seat for the EWR-BQN leg. I know this flight is outside 24 hours but I thought that if the first leg is inside 24 hours you can pick seats for all the legs.
When I was Silver, I had to wait until the specific segment was within 24 hours or else it tries to charge me the fee to upgrade to E+. It didn't matter even if I checked in already for my redeye for the night before.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Is it not letting you select it at all, or is it showing a price for selecting? Normally in the case of it showing a cost, you can go ahead and select the seat, and it won't actually charge you. Are you Silver?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
Is it not letting you select it at all, or is it showing a price for selecting? Normally in the case of it showing a cost, you can go ahead and select the seat, and it won't actually charge you. Are you Silver?
Yes I am. It was just showing a price. It didn't charge me.

Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
Will it add me now to the upgrade standby list or will I still have to wait until T-24?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 22, 2018 at 1:01 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Will it add me now to the upgrade standby list or will I still have to wait until T-24?
You should be automatically added to the list.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Not sure if this is for the Silver or the E+ thread but recently on an intl flight, where E- was full and E+ empty, I was automatically moved into E+ the day before the 24h mark. No aircraft swaps or anything.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA, OZ
Hi all,

I just get a complimentary Premier Silver status as a member of RewardsPlus Platinum.
My question is:

How many more miles I need to get gold – 25000 or 50000

Should I complete this 25k or 50k within 1 moth – since 2018 is ending soon?

Thanks!
Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ShenW
Hi all,

I just get a complimentary Premier Silver status as a member of RewardsPlus Platinum.
My question is:

How many more miles I need to get gold – 25000 or 50000

Should I complete this 25k or 50k within 1 moth – since 2018 is ending soon?

Thanks!
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

To reach Gold status, you would need 50K PQMs, at least four flights operated by United Airlines (not partners), and either $6,000 PQDs in spending or a non-US address. The complimentary Silver status does not provide you with any progress toward Gold.

The earnings will reset on January 1, when you will start over from zero PQMs. So, if you don't meet the Gold criteria by December 31, you will reset to zero and begin again on January 1.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA, OZ
Originally Posted by jsloan
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

To reach Gold status, you would need 50K PQMs, at least four flights operated by United Airlines (not partners), and either $6,000 PQDs in spending or a non-US address. The complimentary Silver status does not provide you with any progress toward Gold.

The earnings will reset on January 1, when you will start over from zero PQMs. So, if you don't meet the Gold criteria by December 31, you will reset to zero and begin again on January 1.
Thanks for your prompt respond!
Just to clarify: since the complimentary status does not provide progress / short cut to gold, I still need the standard requirement (50k PQMs, 4 flights)

Also, since any PQM is within a calendar year, which means, if I am aiming to get gold by 2018, I need to meet the requirement by 31 Dec.
Thanks for explaning. Because I was from a different frequent flyer program (SQ) and the structure of elite status is quite different.

Another question:
I am going to have a long haul flight in a few days that will give me 20K worth of PQM. I will not be able to use it to qualify for gold. I should be able to reach silver in 2018 (I can do some short flights). Will this silver helps me to reach gold faster in 2019?

Thanks!
Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for your prompt respond!
Just to clarify: since the complimentary status does not provide progress / short cut to gold, I still need the standard requirement (50k PQMs, 4 flights)
That is correct.

Also, since any PQM is within a calendar year, which means, if I am aiming to get gold by 2018, I need to meet the requirement by 31 Dec.
Thanks for explaning. Because I was from a different frequent flyer program (SQ) and the structure of elite status is quite different.
Happy to help. That is also correct.

Another question:
I am going to have a long haul flight in a few days that will give me 20K worth of PQM. I will not be able to use it to qualify for gold. I should be able to reach silver in 2018 (I can do some short flights). Will this silver helps me to reach gold faster in 2019?
No; you'll start over at 0 PQM on January 1st even if you are able to reach the requirements for "regular" Silver status by the end of 2018.

UA is a calendar-year based program. Any status that you earn during a given year is good for the rest of that year and then 13 additional months, but the counts reset to zero on January 1. So, if you were able to get to 50K PQM in December 2018, you would earn Gold status through the end of January 2020, and you would have all of calendar year 2019 to requalify (for status through January 2021) after everything resets to zero.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.