FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A {Archive}
Old Sep 12, 2015, 11:11 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by Kensterfly
I've held Silver for about ten years. One year I didn't make it but flew so much in the Spring that I qualified by late May. That covered the rest of that year and all of the next.
A couple of years I was 4-5k miles short of Gold. I was tempted to buy up to Gold but opted not to. This year will be very tight. I'm flying as many segments as I always have but many of them are shorties like IAH-MEM or BNA to IAH. Quite a few MCO-IAH, too.
I always meet the PQD$$ because all business and household expenses (utilities, phones, TV... pretty much everything) goes on my UA Mastercard.
If I come up short in miles I'll have to determine if it's worth it to buy into Silver or do a mileage run. I have Global Entry so get Pre-Check 100%. My card gets me a free bag and 'priority' boarding. I'll miss E+ but those MEM and BNA runs are always RJs so it doesn't matter much.
As far as upgrades, I have been very fortunate to get a LOT of unexpected upgrades. Several from MCO to IAH last Spring. Once, I was #5 with no seats showing right before boarding. I got paged to the gate counter and got the upgrade. The agent said a party of five cancelled at the last minute. I recently got an IAH to MSY. And just last week got the upgrade both ways IAH to Cancun!

A Couple of weeks ago I was sitting #1 ATL-IAH virtually all day with one empty seat. An hour before departure I got bumped to #2 by a guy who was standing by for that flight. It doesn't seem right to get bumped by a standby.

I even got upgraded twice on IAH-SEA and once on a red eye SEA-IAH.
Oh, yeah.... AUS-LAX once. The long hauls are really nice but I've never been upgraded on anything bigger than a 757.

I don't know if they give any priority to long time Silvers vs a newbie, but overall, I've had very good luck with the upgrades. And I have NEVER not been able to get either an E+ exit row aisle or 7C/7D (bulkhead E+ seat.

It's all good.
The reason you almost NEVER get a CPU as a Silver is really simple.

Silver members are entitled to CPU at T-24 hours from flight. However, at the same T-24 time, all of the priority lines shift so that a Silver CPU is LAST. That's right, Silver CPU would be AFTER every single miles, RPU, GPU, and higher elite CPU request. So let's say that an R fare opened up at T-48, it would clear to somebody who has a 1k/plat/gold CPU or is on the waitlist with an instrument (GPU, RPU, miles) request. When the Silver member FINALLY gets the chance to get on the list with the CPU, it's at the very back.