Preferred companion access: companion(s) on same PNR
Complimentary Premier Upgrades: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades for companion: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades confirmation: Day of departure
Instant upgrades on Y- or B-class full-fare economy tickets
500 Lifetime miles minimum accrual: Yes
Award miles on United and United Express and select partner airlines: 7 x fare
Priority check-in: Yes
Priority screening: Yes (where available)
Boarding group: 2
Priority baggage handling: Yes
Dedicated phone line: Yes
Access to most sold-out flights: Yes
Complimentary checked baggage allowance for domestic economy tickets: 1 bag at 70 lbs./32 kg
Unrestricted access to Standard Awards on UA and UX: Yes
Better access to Economy Saver Awards: Yes
Free Same Day Change: Yes

Q: What are the odds I will get a CPU?
A: Sadly, much lower than you probably want to believe. There seems to be slightly better odds on typical vacation routes--e.g., CUN, MCO, FLL, etc.

Q: I checked in exactly at T-24, and my name was #1 on the upgrade list. A few hours later, I'm suddenly #10 on the list! What gives?
A: This post gives a good explanation why. Basically, those with higher upgrade priority checked-in after you, and they be placed above you on the upgrade list. The harsh reality is that you only have priority only above non-rev travelers.

Q: I'm Marriott Titanium Elite, how do I get my Premier Silver status?
A: Go to https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/

Q: If I requalify as a Marriott Titanium Elite, do I have to renew my complimentary Premier Silver status every year?
A: Yes

Q: How can I get a United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card?
A: Sorry, it is no longer offered.

Q: I qualified for Premier Silver this year (2016). The expiration date on the app says 1/31/2017. Shouldn't it be 1/31/2018?
A: The expiration date will automatically update to 2018 in 2017.

Archive: United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A {Archive}

Print Wikipost

United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A

Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Hi, I am currently a general member with about 20k PQMs and have met spending requirement through Chase Explorer Card so need 5k miles to obtain Silver status. I have an ORD-SIN RT flight coming up on a UA ticket (3/4 UA metal). I can request an upgrade to Polaris for 30k miles and copay of $500 out and $600 back as a general member. Does Premiere Silver reduce copays for mileage upgrades to and from Asia? If it did I'd probably buy a PQM award accelerator on my next ORD-LGA flight (or pay to upgrade to first class) but I'd like to know before doing that.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 13, 2024 at 11:13 pm
Old Jul 8, 2019, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
No, it does not.
Artuero likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Artuero
Hi, I am currently a general member with about 20k PQMs and have met spending requirement through Chase Explorer Card so need 5k miles to obtain Silver status. I have an ORD-SIN RT flight coming up on a UA ticket (3/4 UA metal). I can request an upgrade to Polaris for 30k miles and copay of $500 out and $600 back as a general member. Does Premiere Silver reduce copays for mileage upgrades to and from Asia? If it did I'd probably buy a PQM award accelerator on my next ORD-LGA flight (or pay to upgrade to first class) but I'd like to know before doing that.
status has no impact on (long-haul) international upgrade co-pays - these are priced based only on region and fare class. Any status does waive co-pay requirements on most domestic routes (exceptions are PS routes, and flights to Hawaii except from California), as well Flights to Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. Cant remember if status also waives co-pay to Northern S. America.
Artuero likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 12:45 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Cant remember if status also waives co-pay to Northern S. America.
If CPU eligible route, then copay waived

A co-pay will not apply for Premier members traveling on the following routes:
  • Within the U.S. (excluding Hawaii, Guam and premium transcontinental routes
    Footnote *) and Canada
  • From the U.S. and Canada to Hawaii (except between Hawaii and the following airports: Chicago O'Hare, Denver, Houston Intercontinental, New York/Newark or Washington Dulles)
  • From the U.S. (excluding Hawaii and Guam) and Canada to Mexico, Central America or the Caribbean
  • Within Oceania (except between Honolulu and Guam)
Artuero likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Quick question, I couldnt seem to find answers via search.

If I book an award flight in Y on UA - I believe it comes with 1 bag free.

With Silver status on UA Y award flight does that mean I get 2 bags free in total? This involves ski gear so would need to pack properly

Thanks very much in advance.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by lsed

With Silver status on UA Y award flight does that mean I get 2 bags free in total? This involves ski gear so would need to pack properly

What is your route? Probably easier to use the Baggage Calculator.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
What is your route? Probably easier to use the Baggage Calculator.
Agreed, but in general, the answer is no: Silver status provides the first bag free, not one additional free bag. If the first bag is already free, there's no savings.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
Agreed, but in general, the answer is no: Silver status provides the first bag free, not one additional free bag. If the first bag is already free, there's no savings.
IIRC (and calculator confirms), Silver gets 2x70 free on TATL though whereas the no-status allowance is 1x50. I'm not sure what other routes give "1 bag free" on an award ticket, or on which OP would be bringing ski gear.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
IIRC (and calculator confirms), Silver gets 2x70 free on TATL though whereas the no-status allowance is 1x50. I'm not sure what other routes give "1 bag free" on an award ticket, or on which OP would be bringing ski gear.
Sorry, my mistake. ^
Old Jul 15, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold

Just fyi if you already didn't know, ski and boot bag count as ONE piece of luggage not two. Be careful though about putting clothing into either bag, they can and may kick it back and count them as two. I do it all the time and have gotten away with it but I have definitely had friends who ran into trouble when they jammed there boot/ski bags with clothing as well. You can put the helmet (if you use one) in the boot bag and I have never had a problem with that.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:39 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Thanks so much for the replies! They were very helpful

Originally Posted by jsloan
This is what I feared. So even if X inventory provides 1 bag (23kg), being Silver only gives 7kg more for that 1 bag.

I checked my booking and even with Silver it does only say the Bag 1 is free.

Anyways, going to make sure I requalify my A3*G then

Thanks again guys!
Old Jul 16, 2019, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is what I feared. So even if X inventory provides 1 bag (23kg), being Silver only gives 7kg more for that 1 bag.
As I noted in a later message, I was mistaken about Silver never getting a second bag for free; they do on some routes. Where are you flying?
Old Aug 19, 2019, 11:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I am flying SFO-LHR next week and have Silver status. There appears to be lots of E+ seats open based on the seating map, what are my odds of being able to secure one for myself and companion at check in? As there are only middle seats left in E- I would hate to be stuck in them if my odds are low.

Thanks in advance.

Old Aug 20, 2019, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by invalyd
I am flying SFO-LHR next week and have Silver status. There appears to be lots of E+ seats open based on the seating map, what are my odds of being able to secure one for myself and companion at check in? As there are only middle seats left in E- I would hate to be stuck in them if my odds are low.

Thanks in advance.

Id say fairly good. Just check in as soon as it becomes available.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 7:38 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
I set a calendar reminder on my phone for 24 hours before departure time and open my reservation in the app when the alarm sounds. UA says you can select E+ seats 24 hours ahead, but they don't become available in the app for another few minutes. I've never failed to get E+.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.