Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2024, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A

Qualification Requirements

PQM: 25,000
PQS: 30
PQD: $3,000*
4 flight segments on UA or United Express

*PQD requirement is waived if either of the two conditions are met:
1. With $25k spend on across Chase UA Visa cards where the MileagePlus member is the primary cardholder
2. MileagePlus member is a current, primary cardholder of United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card

Marriott Titanium members also receive complimentary Premier Silver Status

Published Benefits

Complimentary Access to Economy Plus: At check-in
Economy Plus companions allowed: 1
Complimentary Premier Upgrades: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades for companion: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades confirmation: Day of departure
Instant upgrades on Y- or B-class full-fare economy tickets
500 PQM minimum accrual: Yes
Award miles on United and United Express and select partner airlines: 7 x fare
Priority check-in: Yes
Priority screening: Yes (where available)
Boarding group: 2
Priority baggage handling: Yes
Dedicated phone line: Yes
Access to most sold-out flights: Yes
Complimentary checked baggage allowance for domestic economy tickets: 1 bag at 50lbs (23 kg)
Unrestricted access to Standard Awards on UA and UX: Yes
Better access to Saver Awards: Yes
Booking a MileagePlus award ticket by phone: $25
Close-in ( T-24)?
A: Yes (it may appear to want to charge you but it should not

Q: What are the odds I will get a CPU?
A: Sadly, much lower than you probably want to believe. There seems to be slightly better odds on typical vacation routes--e.g., CUN, MCO, FLL, etc.

Q: I checked in exactly at T-24, and my name was #1 on the upgrade list. A few hours later, I'm suddenly #10 on the list! What gives?
A: This post gives a good explanation why. Basically, those with higher upgrade priority checked-in after you, and they be placed above you on the upgrade list. The harsh reality is that you only have priority only above non-rev travelers.

Q: I'm Marriott Titanium Elite, how do I get my Premier Silver status?
A: Go to https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/

Q: If I requalify as a Marriott Titanium Elite, do I have to renew my complimentary Premier Silver status every year?
A: Yes

Q: How can I get a United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card?
A: Sorry, it is no longer offered.

Q: I qualified for Premier Silver this year (2016). The expiration date on the app says 1/31/2017. Shouldn't it be 1/31/2018?
A: The expiration date will automatically update to 2018 in 2017.

Print Wikipost

United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2018, 10:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tonytifao
.... if Silver members have decent chances of upgrading on routes such as MCO-IAH and TPA-IAH. Are these routes elite heavy? ....
MCO & TPA are generally leisure destinations but IAH was many elites and was the HQs for CO. Upgrades for Silvers on these routes means looking at off-hours

Silver's best opportunities for upgrades would be to/from smaller outside.

Upgrades for Silver should not be expect as a regular occurrence on mainline flights.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 4:09 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
It's all timing. I got upgrade BOS-DEN on a Saturday 5:50am flight and ORD-BOS Sunday 9pm flight.

Last edited by PATRLR; Aug 13, 2018 at 9:26 am
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by tonytifao
Are these routes elite heavy?
I'm based at MCO and am in my second year as a Silver. My upgrades are few and far between for a few reasons. I will address your question first.
1) As a city, I would not consider MCO to be elite heavy. Most colleagues in my business fly Delta.
2) As a destination, MCO draws in a lot of elites for business conferences. Also, families will use their award miles to book an entire row in F for their vacation to Disney. So, this starts to minimize your upgrade chances.
3) Remember your upgrades are based on (in no particular order) fare class, date of booking and current status. My clients book my travel and usually get T-W tickets. That will put me at the bottom of the upgrade list. If you are buying your own tickets, a B ticket would yield a higher spot on the upgrade list.
4) Time of day is also a consideration. There will be more available F seats on the 6AM flights out of MCO. I have no interest in getting up that early, so, I fly out during rush-hour, again, reducing my chances of an upgrade.

Fly safe.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dukesantos
3) Remember your upgrades are based on (in no particular order) fare class, date of booking and current status. My clients book my travel and usually get T-W tickets. That will put me at the bottom of the upgrade list. If you are buying your own tickets, a B ticket would yield a higher spot on the upgrade list.
Actually, they're based in a very particular order on current status, fare class, and then date and time added to the list.

Purchasing a B fare class just to get an upgrade is generally an awful idea. If you have a travel policy that requires unrestricted tickets (no change or cancellation fee), you might end up with a B or a Y fare; there's rarely any other reason to buy one domestically. They're generally much more expensive than a discount first class ticket would be, so just buy the first class ticket and forget upgrading.

As there are two upgrade lists -- a hidden one used for upgrades in advance and a visible one used at the gate -- you should check in at T-24 for the best upgrade odds. However, understand that UA is very good at selling first class seats, all the way up until 30 minutes prior to departure. Upgrades for a Silver should be treated as a welcome surprise.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:05 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by jsloan
Actually, they're based in a very particular order on current status, fare class, and then date and time added to the list.
Good point. I wasn't clear in my language. I meant to say that my list was not in a particular order. I just couldn't remember what UA's order was.

And, I also agree that an upgrade as a Silver shouldn't be expected, but, appreciated when recieved. The primary benefit that I receive is the E+ seat.

Thanks
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:35 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
If you check-in and don't split, you can't be upgraded after that point.
I didn't know this. So just to clarify, if I'm traveling with a non-status companion on the same reservation and check us in at T-24, we're both no longer CPU eligible if I don't split the reservation? And if I do split at check-in, does that mean that my companion is no longer CPU eligible?
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PSU08
I didn't know this. So just to clarify, if I'm traveling with a non-status companion on the same reservation and check us in at T-24, we're both no longer CPU eligible if I don't split the reservation? And if I do split at check-in, does that mean that my companion is no longer CPU eligible?
During check-in, it'l ask you if you want to be added to the upgrade list. Saying yes will split the reservation. So, your first statement is effectively correct, but the cause-and-effect is backward from your point of view.

Your companion will be CPU-eligible, at least on the outbound. If it's a round-trip ticket and you split on the outbound, the companion may not appear on the CPU list on the return flight -- reports vary.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
During check-in, it'l ask you if you want to be added to the upgrade list. Saying yes will split the reservation. So, your first statement is effectively correct, but the cause-and-effect is backward from your point of view.

Your companion will be CPU-eligible, at least on the outbound. If it's a round-trip ticket and you split on the outbound, the companion may not appear on the CPU list on the return flight -- reports vary.
I've had pretty good luck recently. My non-status wife and I were both upgraded last night IAD-DEN after splitting the reservation. Normally this would not have happened, but with myriad weather delays throughout the day, many people missed the connection or otherwise changed plans, and we moved up the upgrade list.

A few weeks ago, we were upgraded both directions to MCO. We conntected through IAH on the way out, and our IAH-MCO portion was upgraded. Coming back, we were both upgraded MCO-DEN at T-24. This was after our reservation was split on the outbound. So if the system is running as it should be, the upgrade eligibility will remain for a return after a split on the outbound.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:22 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I got my second upgrade of 2018 yesterday. I cleared at T-24 for the 9:30 PM ORD-RDU 737-800. This year:

- First Class: 2/16
- E+ 14/14

I've been pretty happy.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:19 pm

Anyone with experiences on upgrades for international flights? Have two flights originating from ORD to HKG and another one from ORD to HND next year. Wondering if I should put my segments to my AC account or try my luck with the E+ upgrade on the long haul flights.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:33 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by an1030
Anyone with experiences on upgrades for international flights? Have two flights originating from ORD to HKG and another one from ORD to HND next year. Wondering if I should put my segments to my AC account or try my luck with the E+ upgrade on the long haul flights.
First, you should not say that getting an E+ seat is an upgrade. It's not considered an upgrade since you remain in the same fare class. But E+ has more space between rows.

That being said, I have flown many times from ORD to HKG and usually E+ is rather empty until passengers start checking in (and some don't check-in until 1 or 2 hours before the flight) which means that if you are United Silver you should easily get a seat in E+ at T-24.

If you are not UA Silver, you can only get E+ seats if you don't select a seat and if E is all fully occupied the last passengers to check in get seats in E+ (but they may be middle seats). But if you are starting in Canada maybe you have to check-in before E is fully occupied.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Aug 14, 2018 at 7:39 pm
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How important is it to you to sit in E+? I flew ORD-HKG-SIN when Silver and paid for E+. Didn't want to take the chance of being stuck in E-.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
First, you should not say that getting an E+ seat is an upgrade. It's not considered an upgrade since you remain in the same fare class. But E+ has more space between rows.

That being said, I have flown many times from ORD to HKG and usually E+ is rather empty until passengers start checking in (and some don't check-in until 1 or 2 hours before the flight) which means that if you are United Silver you should easily get a seat in E+ at T-24.

If you are not UA Silver, you can only get E+ seats if you don't select a seat and if E is all fully occupied the last passengers to check in get seats in E+ (but they may be middle seats). But if you are starting in Canada maybe you have to check-in before E is fully occupied.
Ah, my flight terminology is not the greatest. Thanks for clarifying that. I am UA Silver and yes, to me an "upgrade" would be just getting E+ (if not an upgrade, it is something that is available for complimentary choosing, pending availability at T-24 given I already picked seats in E-)?

If E- fills up, would the people buying the E- fares not just get free dibs on E+? Or do they just have unassigned seats until check-in? I would originating from Canada as ORD is just the hub/connection to HKG and HND so I would check in earlier than the connection time (which I read allows me to procure seats for the connecting flight as well at T-24 for the first segment.

Originally Posted by TomMM
How important is it to you to sit in E+? I flew ORD-HKG-SIN when Silver and paid for E+. Didn't want to take the chance of being stuck in E-.
The extra leg space would be nice given I am 6'0, however as I would not be travelling alone, just upgrading that segment for 2 people would be about 400 USD and being Canadian, even more painful! It really is just the long haul there that I want the E+ as I want to arrive slightly more freshened up and relaxed than I would have been if I were in E-.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 5:07 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Ah, my flight terminology is not the greatest. Thanks for clarifying that. I am UA Silver and yes, to me an "upgrade" would be just getting E+ (if not an upgrade, it is something that is available for complimentary choosing, pending availability at T-24 given I already picked seats in E-)?

If E- fills up, would the people buying the E- fares not just get free dibs on E+? Or do they just have unassigned seats until check-in? I would originating from Canada as ORD is just the hub/connection to HKG and HND so I would check in earlier than the connection time (which I read allows me to procure seats for the connecting flight as well at T-24 for the first segment.

The extra leg space would be nice given I am 6'0, however as I would not be travelling alone, just upgrading that segment for 2 people would be about 400 USD and being Canadian, even more painful! It really is just the long haul there that I want the E+ as I want to arrive slightly more freshened up and relaxed than I would have been if I were in E-.
It's good news that you are United Silver and also good news that you are originating in Canada. That means that at check-in time (T-24) for your first flight you'll be able to get E+ seats for your long haul flight. There should be availability at that time (remember to check in at that time as you will be competing for those E+ seats with the other Silvers). I seem to remember that some FTer said that the system was showing a price for the seat in E+ for the long haul but after you click on it it should not charge you anything (it is complimentary for Silvers at check-in and for higher status at ticket purchase).

My experience on flights to Asia is that a lot of passengers don't choose their seats or get assigned one until check-in. Maybe they buy their tickets through a travel agency or a consolidator?

Yes, $400 is a lot of money and even worse is that usually there's a return flight that is another $400.

I forgot to add that once you have secured your E+ seats, if these are not your preferred seats, keep checking the seat map as there may be some passengers that are waitlisted for upgrade to Polaris Business. And those upgrades may clear. You can even get a bulkhead like that.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Aug 15, 2018 at 6:15 am Reason: Added information about keep checking the seat map
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Smile

Thanks for the explanation. I just read through some of the PNR auto-splitting thread and it was an eye opener for me.

As a Silver, I've always tried to check-in right at T-24 to snag decent E+ seats. Ironically, in all the instances I've traveled with my wife (non-status companion), we've been on non-CPU eligible flights, so this issue never popped up

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.