Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2024, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A

Qualification Requirements

PQM: 25,000
PQS: 30
PQD: $3,000*
4 flight segments on UA or United Express

*PQD requirement is waived if either of the two conditions are met:
1. With $25k spend on across Chase UA Visa cards where the MileagePlus member is the primary cardholder
2. MileagePlus member is a current, primary cardholder of United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card

Marriott Titanium members also receive complimentary Premier Silver Status

Published Benefits

Complimentary Access to Economy Plus: At check-in
Economy Plus companions allowed: 1
Complimentary Premier Upgrades: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades for companion: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades confirmation: Day of departure
Instant upgrades on Y- or B-class full-fare economy tickets
500 PQM minimum accrual: Yes
Award miles on United and United Express and select partner airlines: 7 x fare
Priority check-in: Yes
Priority screening: Yes (where available)
Boarding group: 2
Priority baggage handling: Yes
Dedicated phone line: Yes
Access to most sold-out flights: Yes
Complimentary checked baggage allowance for domestic economy tickets: 1 bag at 50lbs (23 kg)
Unrestricted access to Standard Awards on UA and UX: Yes
Better access to Saver Awards: Yes
Booking a MileagePlus award ticket by phone: $25
Close-in ( T-24)?
A: Yes (it may appear to want to charge you but it should not

Q: What are the odds I will get a CPU?
A: Sadly, much lower than you probably want to believe. There seems to be slightly better odds on typical vacation routes--e.g., CUN, MCO, FLL, etc.

Q: I checked in exactly at T-24, and my name was #1 on the upgrade list. A few hours later, I'm suddenly #10 on the list! What gives?
A: This post gives a good explanation why. Basically, those with higher upgrade priority checked-in after you, and they be placed above you on the upgrade list. The harsh reality is that you only have priority only above non-rev travelers.

Q: I'm Marriott Titanium Elite, how do I get my Premier Silver status?
A: Go to https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/

Q: If I requalify as a Marriott Titanium Elite, do I have to renew my complimentary Premier Silver status every year?
A: Yes

Q: How can I get a United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card?
A: Sorry, it is no longer offered.

Q: I qualified for Premier Silver this year (2016). The expiration date on the app says 1/31/2017. Shouldn't it be 1/31/2018?
A: The expiration date will automatically update to 2018 in 2017.

Print Wikipost

United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2018, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by s0479
My experience from SMF - SFO - OGG - SFO - SMF - earlier this month much to my surprise as Silver (from Marriott match) I got upgraded on the SFO - OGG flight after check in, but only a couple hours after it. My mom, also a silver got an upgrade about 10 minutes before boarding. Very nice surprise, especially since it was a very cheap fare and a b'day trip! We also both got an upgrade SFO - SMF at the very last minute when we were already boarded - weird situation since it showed full, all checked in and I was 4th or 5th on list. That flight was about 25 minute flight time and no service but hey still nice surprise! :-) Wasn't to happy with a couple things that happened with my daughter on this trip, but United gave her $200 credit for the mistakes/problems. My mom and I sure had a nice trip though!
I'm looking into my crystal ball and can see it was a mid-week flight. Maybe the last flight to OGG of the day...
Old Mar 24, 2018, 8:41 pm

Programs: Marriott - Lifetime Titanium, United - Silver
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I'm looking into my crystal ball and can see it was a mid-week flight. Maybe the last flight to OGG of the day...
it was a Tuesday- but no not last flight. 9:00 am.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
A relative will be meeting me at ORD and we're flying to LAX together. We're obviously on separate PNRs. The companion E+ benefit terms say it's limited to another person on your reservation. Is there any chance I can get him moved to E+ with me if I call in?
Old Jun 18, 2018, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by ajGoes
A relative will be meeting me at ORD and we're flying to LAX together. We're obviously on separate PNRs. The companion E+ benefit terms say it's limited to another person on your reservation. Is there any chance I can get him moved to E+ with me if I call in?
Yes, that should be no problem if you're on the same flight and within 24 hours of departure.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by findark
Yes, that should be no problem if you're on the same flight and within 24 hours of departure.
Great! Thanks.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 9:24 pm

Programs: United Silver
Just got my first complementary upgrade as a Silver - and almost 24 hours in advance at that! IAD-TPA Friday night at 10:25pm EDT

Only three E+ seats were booked before T-24, and 10 F seats were open, so I was hopeful, but I didn't think they ever actually gave out upgrades until right before the flight (I know they "could", but I've never seen it actually happen). I guess this flight must be practically empty.

I guess no one else wants to get to Tampa in the middle of the night
Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Frontier Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Question Economy Plus complimentary access timing on multi-stop trips?

"Premier Silver members continue to enjoy complimentary space-available access to Economy Plus for themselves and one companion upon check-in."

This seems pretty clear that complimentary access is supposed to be available at check-in; yet quite often when I attempt to check-in to a a multi-stop trip, I'm shown that I need to pay for access to Economy Plus seats on a second leg, if the departure time of that leg is more than 24 hours in the future. If I wait to check-in until the second leg departure time is within 24 hours, I'm able to access Economy Plus seats at no charge.

Is this a bug in the system? Is this how it's supposed to work? Is there fine print somewhere I'm missing, that explains this issue?
Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum Thingy, United MileagePlus Silver, blah on others
Not sure how UAL works, but on AA if any of the legs are more than 24 hours in the future then you have to wait until all of them are less than 24 hours in the future to get the free E+ seats. It's the same with AA for Main Cabin Extra.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With silver status you should get E+ access for the entire itinerary when you check in. Even if the seat displays a price, it should allow you to complete check-in without taking payment.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Frontier Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by elperro
Not sure how UAL works, but on AA if any of the legs are more than 24 hours in the future then you have to wait until all of them are less than 24 hours in the future to get the free E+ seats. It's the same with AA for Main Cabin Extra.
That seems to be what's going on, but it doesn't exactly match their benefit statement...

Originally Posted by fumje
With silver status you should get E+ access for the entire itinerary when you check in. Even if the seat displays a price, it should allow you to complete check-in without taking payment.
Hmm; it's too late for me to try this time, but I'll try that next time; It's possible that it displays a price, and shows a button that says "proceed to payment", but won't actually charge me. It just seems unlikely.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by lokkju
"Premier Silver members continue to enjoy complimentary space-available access to Economy Plus for themselves and one companion upon check-in."

This seems pretty clear that complimentary access is supposed to be available at check-in; yet quite often when I attempt to check-in to a a multi-stop trip, I'm shown that I need to pay for access to Economy Plus seats on a second leg, if the departure time of that leg is more than 24 hours in the future. If I wait to check-in until the second leg departure time is within 24 hours, I'm able to access Economy Plus seats at no charge.

Is this a bug in the system? Is this how it's supposed to work? Is there fine print somewhere I'm missing, that explains this issue?
My Silver status friend called me when he was checking in for a multi city trip. He checked in at the 24hr mark for the first flight and was able to select E+, but the second flight wanted to charge him. He kept his E- seat for the second flight, and then went back in at the 24hr mark for the second flight and was then able to select E+ for free.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriott Rewards Platinum Thingy, United MileagePlus Silver, blah on others
Think about it this way - if you have a flight going AAA-BBB-CCC then the Silver elites on the BBB-CCC segment can't select an E+ seat until 24 hours, so the passenger traveling on AAA-CCC cannot either. It's unfair to those originating in BBB who are entitled to the same benefit. In this case the system is enforcing the rules correctly IMHO.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That seems to be what's going on, but it doesn't exactly match their benefit statement...

Hmm; it's too late for me to try this time, but I'll try that next time; It's possible that it displays a price, and shows a button that says "proceed to payment", but won't actually charge me. It just seems unlikely.
I believe that is the way it has worked for a while — that it does sometimes display a price and say 'proceed to payment' but then proceeds to finish check-in without payment. However, it is possible something has changed, in which case my description is outdated.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle

I have always ignored the fact that it says there is a fee for the second flight and selected my e+ seats. I've never been charged.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
I have always ignored the fact that it says there is a fee for the second flight and selected my e+ seats. I've never been charged.
I've also been able to select E+ seats for a return flight if I am doing a same-day trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.