Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2024, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A

Qualification Requirements

PQM: 25,000
PQS: 30
PQD: $3,000*
4 flight segments on UA or United Express

*PQD requirement is waived if either of the two conditions are met:
1. With $25k spend on across Chase UA Visa cards where the MileagePlus member is the primary cardholder
2. MileagePlus member is a current, primary cardholder of United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card

Marriott Titanium members also receive complimentary Premier Silver Status

Published Benefits

Complimentary Access to Economy Plus: At check-in
Economy Plus companions allowed: 1
Complimentary Premier Upgrades: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades for companion: Yes
Complimentary Premier Upgrades confirmation: Day of departure
Instant upgrades on Y- or B-class full-fare economy tickets
500 PQM minimum accrual: Yes
Award miles on United and United Express and select partner airlines: 7 x fare
Priority check-in: Yes
Priority screening: Yes (where available)
Boarding group: 2
Priority baggage handling: Yes
Dedicated phone line: Yes
Access to most sold-out flights: Yes
Complimentary checked baggage allowance for domestic economy tickets: 1 bag at 50lbs (23 kg)
Unrestricted access to Standard Awards on UA and UX: Yes
Better access to Saver Awards: Yes
Booking a MileagePlus award ticket by phone: $25
Close-in ( T-24)?
A: Yes (it may appear to want to charge you but it should not

Q: What are the odds I will get a CPU?
A: Sadly, much lower than you probably want to believe. There seems to be slightly better odds on typical vacation routes--e.g., CUN, MCO, FLL, etc.

Q: I checked in exactly at T-24, and my name was #1 on the upgrade list. A few hours later, I'm suddenly #10 on the list! What gives?
A: This post gives a good explanation why. Basically, those with higher upgrade priority checked-in after you, and they be placed above you on the upgrade list. The harsh reality is that you only have priority only above non-rev travelers.

Q: I'm Marriott Titanium Elite, how do I get my Premier Silver status?
A: Go to https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/

Q: If I requalify as a Marriott Titanium Elite, do I have to renew my complimentary Premier Silver status every year?
A: Yes

Q: How can I get a United MileagePlus Presidential Plus Card?
A: Sorry, it is no longer offered.

Q: I qualified for Premier Silver this year (2016). The expiration date on the app says 1/31/2017. Shouldn't it be 1/31/2018?
A: The expiration date will automatically update to 2018 in 2017.

Print Wikipost

United Silver Status - Experiences/Q&A {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2017, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PAT14624
Quick question from a new guy (I tried searching and can’t get a definitive answer). I am traveling next month from BDL to HKG (part of the HGH fares). All long haul segments are on UA. Since I have Silver status, am I allowed to select E+ seats at check in? I know the policy about upgrades, but really can’t seem to find anything about E+. Thanks for your help!
Yes. You will be allowed to select an E+ seat at check-in for no charge.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 10:21 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PAT14624
Quick question from a new guy (I tried searching and can’t get a definitive answer). I am traveling next month from BDL to HKG (part of the HGH fares). All long haul segments are on UA. Since I have Silver status, am I allowed to select E+ seats at check in? I know the policy about upgrades, but really can’t seem to find anything about E+. Thanks for your help!
While you will be able to at check in, my advice with Ultra Long Haul segments is to bite the bullet and pay for it up front. I wouldn't want to risk only middles or worse yet, nothing at all being open at check in. This is what I typically do on such flights.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glbl, Marriott Lftm Plat, National EE
Hoping for a quick answer as my flight leaves in 10 hours! - I am United Silver (status match from Marriott) and I have been told conflicting information on the free bags. I am flying IND-SFO-HNL and have 3 people on the same PNR. I have been told by one person that everyone on the PNR gets a free first checked bag up to 40 lbs. I was told by someone else on the premier line that 'free companion checked bags' only applies to the first companion, not all companions. Which is it? The answer will likely determine if I bring along our (nice) snorkel gear or if we rent (relatively crappy) gear.

In case it matters: I booked it through Singapore (transfer from Amex MR), but I have no status with Singapore. I am Delta Diamond, but doubt that helps here. The only premium CCs I carry are the US Bank Altitude and the Citi Prestige; don't think any of those help. Also top-tier with Marriott/SPG, Hilton and Hyatt, but don't think that helps either.

TIA for guidance!

ETA: This is from their website, which sure seems to support the idea that everyone on the same PNR gets the allowance (up to 9 people). But again, it directly contradicts what the agent told me on the phone. She was very emphatic.
MileagePlus Premier® members

Travel companions of MileagePlus Premier members will have the same exemptions as the Premier member whose status provides the benefit, as long as they are traveling on the same reservation. Exemptions do not apply to group reservations of 10 or more customers.

Last edited by gloobnib; Jan 5, 2018 at 4:17 pm
Old Jan 5, 2018, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gloobnib
The answer will likely determine if I bring along our (nice) snorkel gear or if we rent (relatively crappy) gear.
Really? Silver only gets one free bag (it would be 50 lbs, not 40), so at most your savings would be $25. I have a hard time believing that you would be able to rent much of anything for $25.

Having said that, the answer is that it applies to your entire party:

Travel companions of MileagePlus Premier members will have the same exemptions as the Premier member whose status provides the benefit, as long as they are traveling on the same reservation.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Really? Silver only gets one free bag (it would be 50 lbs, not 40), so at most your savings would be $25. I have a hard time believing that you would be able to rent much of anything for $25.

Having said that, the answer is that it applies to your entire party:
Thanks for the quick reply! That makes me feels better.

FWIW, I left out that we are staying on 3 islands, so there are 3 inter-island trips as well as the RT bag fees on UA. The excess bag fees of $35 x 2 on UA and $25 x 3 on Hawaiian for that snorkel gear really adds up! You can rent crappy gear for about $40/week. That has the additional advantage of not having to lug that gear half way around the world.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the quick reply! That makes me feels better.

FWIW, I left out that we are staying on 3 islands, so there are 3 inter-island trips as well as the RT bag fees on UA. The excess bag fees of $35 x 2 on UA and $25 x 3 on Hawaiian for that snorkel gear really adds up! You can rent crappy gear for about $40/week. That has the additional advantage of not having to lug that gear half way around the world.
Happy to help, and yes that does make more sense. And, yes, I should have considered the return trip. Still, it's $25, not $35. $35 is the second bag fee, which isn't waived for Silver. Basically, you will get a total of three free pieces -- one each -- on United. If any of you have a second bag, it would be $35. (And, a third bag would be $200).

As for Hawaiian -- each of you should sign up for a free HawaiianMiles account, which will get you a discount on your bags to $15 for the first bag (per person) and $20 for any second bag.

Whatever decision you make, I hope this helps, and have a great trip.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 10:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
...I was told by someone else on the premier line that 'free companion checked bags' only applies to the first companion, not all companions.
That agent was confusing the credit card benefit (only 1 companion receive first bag waiver) with the Silver benefit (all companions on the PNR receive first bag waiver).

Note the waivers only apply when checking in for an UA operated flight,

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 5, 2018 at 10:24 pm
Old Jan 20, 2018, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
Happy to help, and yes that does make more sense. And, yes, I should have considered the return trip. Still, it's $25, not $35. $35 is the second bag fee, which isn't waived for Silver. Basically, you will get a total of three free pieces -- one each -- on United. If any of you have a second bag, it would be $35. (And, a third bag would be $200).

As for Hawaiian -- each of you should sign up for a free HawaiianMiles account, which will get you a discount on your bags to $15 for the first bag (per person) and $20 for any second bag.

Whatever decision you make, I hope this helps, and have a great trip.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
That agent was confusing the credit card benefit (only 1 companion receive first bag waiver) with the Silver benefit (all companions on the PNR receive first bag waiver).

Note the waivers only apply when checking in for an UA operated flight,
Thanks everyone for the quick replies. We wound up renting snorkel equipment for $5 per person per day from Boss Frog's (x2 - my wife doesn't snokel) and were very happy with it; their gear was way better than the crappy stuff we'd rented several years ago at various Caribbean resort towns. I did sign all of us up for Hawaiian Air frequent flier accounts, but since they were booked on Delta points (which I have coming out of my ears due to work travel), they said they cannot apply our Hawaiian frequent flier numbers to the reservation. I checked later and the T&Cs do say that the only FF number attached to a PNR has to be the Hawaiian FF account. I was a little peeved, but finally just let it go and paid the $25 per bag for 2 bags and carried the others on. A minor inconvenience, but a total of $20 each leg wasn't worth the heartburn of trying to fight it further.

And yes, I eventually did figure out the UA rep was thinking the Silver companion upgrade benefit. Interestingly, there was a problem with *my* PNR (not the wife and daughter) and I was unable to check-in online or using the automated kiosks at the airport. We never did figure out what the problem was, but I suspect it was because the flight was booked by Singapore there was some sort of issue there. They had to get a supervisor involved, who contacted their help desk, and after about 15 minutes they were able to get me checked in, with the free bag allowance included. The interesting part is that they had to split my PNR off from my wife/daughter and they 'inherited' my silver status such that when we got to the gate they had both been upgraded to Economy Plus seats on the long-haul portion of the trip. And I hadn't! But after speaking with the agent, we got it 'fixed' so that I got upgraded as well. The same thing pretty much happened on the return trip, with the exception that I had to get a supervisor to waive the checked bag fees for my wife/daughter when we checked in for the HNL-ORD leg since we were now on separate PNRs. Certainly a one-off type of situation, but I'm not complaining!

Anyway, thanks again for the replies!
Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:39 pm

Thoroughly Confused

New to Silver. Wife (general member) and I have several trips together this year. The first one was last month. At check-in, I was asked if I wanted to separate our reservations so I could get on CPU list. I said no.

Had I separated reservation A) would wife still have access to free E+ and free bag? B) if I got CPU, would she get one too (i know, I know, it's exceedingly rare for silver CPU)?

We have a trip coming up in 10 days so, HELP!

Thanks a ton
Old Feb 20, 2018, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
If you split the PNR, you would both have the free bag on the outbound, but not necessarily on the return (would take manual override at the counter). Your wife would still have E+ access, however for the return you may need to call to have her seated in E+ with you (and this may get messy if you clear immediately). If you split, you are separately eligible for CPU so it is possible that you will clear and she will not (it's also possible that you both clear).

Generally speaking, Silver CPUs are extremely rare so unless you have a reason to believe that they will happen on your flight, it's not worth the hassle to split the PNR.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: UAL Silver Hilton Diamond Hyatt Plat
^^^^ That was my experience. In online checkin if I split the PNR I felt it was quite a hassle. Not only would I have to call in to have my husband seated in E+ with me but his boarding group dropped down to below 2. Any time I wanted to move around in E+ it would mean a phone call rather than a quick online change. My husbands reservation also showed a charge for bags. We would either have to have an agent override or I just checked the bag or bags under my name (I hold a United Club Card).

We had one CPU clear on a returning connecting flight, I let my husband sit up front. I had not split the PNR until I was in the United Club and was pretty sure I would clear. I think my best use of Silver was the complimentary E+. I got a lot of use of this and we had great E+ seats together on over 17 flights last year. Unfortunately I’m not Silver any longer but I also have major-slowed my flying. Enjoy!
Old Feb 21, 2018, 5:58 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Three years as a silver and I just got my third upgrade!

YOW EWR. Cleared at check in, there are still 8 FC seats and 0 on the list.

Prior to that, was upgraded on a 10pm IAD YYZ flight and on my first day as a silver three years ago, I got upgraded on LGA PBI
Old Feb 21, 2018, 9:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
I haven't expected to get any FC upgrades with United Silver but I have been pleasantly surprised. I've had three already in 2018. The most surprising one was getting an upgrade on a flight from LAS to LAX on a ticket purchased the day before. Least surprising was a flight from IAH to Acapulco. Even without upgrades, Economy Plus is always better than a regular coach seat, and sometimes (especially on the tiny jets) is roomier than first if they blocked a seat next to mine and it ends up empty.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 4:42 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by uppereastsider
Three years as a silver and I just got my third upgrade!

YOW EWR. Cleared at check in, there are still 8 FC seats and 0 on the list.

Prior to that, was upgraded on a 10pm IAD YYZ flight and on my first day as a silver three years ago, I got upgraded on LGA PBI
Well I guess this was good luck because I got my 2nd UA Silver upgrade this year! EWR IAD on the 530pm tomorrow. 8 seats still available for a 20(???!!!) seat FC cabin.

This year has matched my upgrade rate for all previous years as a silver. Guess it’s all about timing ✈️
Old Mar 24, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: Marriott - Lifetime Titanium, United - Silver
My experience from SMF - SFO - OGG - SFO - SMF - earlier this month much to my surprise as Silver (from Marriott match) I got upgraded on the SFO - OGG flight after check in, but only a couple hours after it. My mom, also a silver got an upgrade about 10 minutes before boarding. Very nice surprise, especially since it was a very cheap fare and a b'day trip! We also both got an upgrade SFO - SMF at the very last minute when we were already boarded - weird situation since it showed full, all checked in and I was 4th or 5th on list. That flight was about 25 minute flight time and no service but hey still nice surprise! :-) Wasn't to happy with a couple things that happened with my daughter on this trip, but United gave her $200 credit for the mistakes/problems. My mom and I sure had a nice trip though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.