Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:05 am
Company Representative, United Airlines
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

A heads up that we have some updates regarding award travel coming to the MileagePlus program effective October 6, 2016. We’re always looking for ways to make our program easier to navigate and booking multi-city itineraries is something our customers have been asking that we improve. At a high level, this includes enhancements to booking multi-city MileagePlus award travel and streamlined change/redeposit fees. Additional highlights below for visibility:

The most up-to-date information, including FAQs can be found at www.mileageplusupdates.com.

Thank you,

-UA Insider
        Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:15 am
        FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
        Wow is about all i can say. Sounds like UA can't be bothered fixing their pathetic website so to allow users to book multi-city awards they have to use more miles and book them all as one-ways. With the "one free award ticket within a multi-city award" I suppose there are ways to come up with cheaper options but they will be few and far between?

Oh and look at those fees. Plats are not going to be happy about this at all. Golds and silvers also affected.

-RM
        Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:21 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
        I think that this is a mixed bag for Golds. On the plus side, cancelling award flights will only cost $25 if you are 2 months out and only $60 inside 2 months (down from $100 anytime). On the minus side, inside 2 months you need to pay more for changes and all changes incur a fee. On balance, more downside than upside IMO
        Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, National Exec, GE/Nexus
        Huge loss for me - as a Plat, I lose the ability to book/cancel last-minute award tickets without fees.

(ps I have to book my stopover RT ticket asap before they charge me extra miles!)
        Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:30 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
        Platinums lose out here. Whats the diffrence between Plat and Gold now? A few more upgrades?
        Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:32 am

Programs: UA 1K and MM, Marriot, Hilton
        Well Platinums best benefit is now gone. Nice work
        Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold
        I didn't realize it was a Friday afternoon...
        Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:50 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN
        61 days....geez....will this mean that better reward availability be opened up before then?....why remove the 21 day rule?
        Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:57 am
        Marriott Contributor Badge

Will the system price correctly when valid routings are inputted without stopover?
        For example, USA to Australia awards (40k saver economy) allow routing via Asia.. but if you input USA-Asia one-way (35k saver economy), followed by Asia-Australia one-way 20k saver economy (assuming < 6 hrs between one-ways), will it price correctly?
        Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:58 am
        A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
        It's unclear exactly how this is going to work. Note there is no mention of OJ. But they are making very clear that the stopover is going to be limited to same region.

Despite the uncertainty, it's a good bet these changes will result in a net increase in award pricing for many itineraries.

Originally Posted by jasonp622
        Well Platinums best benefit is now gone. Nice work
        Yep. Really a low blow.

On the positive side, they've reduced the redeposit fee for GM to $125. That's a big deal.
        Old Aug 3, 2016, 9:01 am
        FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oof

Doesn't look so good.
        Old Aug 3, 2016, 9:02 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
        Really hard not to be cynical regarding how UA treats its best travelers....
        Old Aug 3, 2016, 9:03 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
        Another enhancement which takes away benefits.

Where is that pendulum - must be closer to swinging the other way!
        Old Aug 3, 2016, 9:04 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
        Originally Posted by Kacee
        It's unclear exactly how this is going to work. Note there is no mention of OJ. But they are making very clear that the stopover is going to be limited to same region.
        This is what I'm concerned about. It was possible in the past to create some pretty complex OJ routings...
        Old Aug 3, 2016, 9:09 am
        FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
        Thumbs down

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
        Wow is about all i can say. Sounds like UA can't be bothered fixing their pathetic website so to allow users to book multi-city awards they have to use more miles and book them all as one-ways.
        Another way to see this is copying AA of ~2011(?) and DL changes of 11/2014. UA has been notably more generous in award construction. Of course they want to 'fix' that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.