Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2022, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
That is promising but it still might be re-priced.
Ah, yeah not going to do that 85k each much better than the 270k+ it wants now. Not worth it to change the 3.5 hour leg :-)
Old Dec 26, 2022, 1:39 am

Well gave it a shot, but no dice. UA said a few different things that are kind of troubling/funny:
1) Flights no longer available even though its showing online so they cannot rebook
2) Even if flights were available they cannot rebook partner flights if more than one partner on the reservation (makes no sense to me)
3) Even if all legs were available they would reprice to current pricing so agent just said try online instead of calling.

They recommended trying to talk with a United airport agent when I arrive at the airport for my first flight, which of course isnt going to work well since its on Thai out of KUL.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 9:29 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by olouie
.... 1) Flights no longer available even though its showing online so they cannot rebook ...
That can possibly be true

.... 3) Even if all legs were available they would reprice to current pricing so agent just said try online instead of calling. ...
that is true except the UA leg is probably want is causing the present high pricing and get that reopenned would lower the price
Was this one of those crazy discount JN award from April 2022? This changes the case. Or do you have I space in UA??

.... They recommended trying to talk with a United airport agent when I arrive at the airport for my first flight, which of course isnt going to work well since its on Thai out of KUL.
That will not work and is a sign of an inexperienced / lazy agent.
as does
....2) Even if flights were available they cannot rebook partner flights if more than one partner on the reservation
You could call back and try again or possibly just ask for a supervisor, what you are asking for can not be done by the average phone agent, the re-open of space on UA requires a supervisor approval

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 26, 2022 at 9:37 am Reason: JN award?
Old Dec 26, 2022, 11:37 am

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Question....award ticket Slc-sfo-fra-cdg...with FRA CDG on LH. The SFO connection is tight but no award availability on earlier departure. Would a SDC or standby on the earlier SLC SFO be allowed if there is space, or could that somehow effect remaining segments?
Old Dec 26, 2022, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
Question....award ticket Slc-sfo-fra-cdg...with FRA CDG on LH. The SFO connection is tight but no award availability on earlier departure. Would a SDC or standby on the earlier SLC SFO be allowed if there is space, or could that somehow affect remaining segments?
SDC is not supposed to be an option for that itinerary, as all remaining flights on the itinerary are supposed to be UA-operated. Standby should be allowed with no issues.
Old Dec 26, 2022, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
That can possibly be true

that is true except the UA leg is probably want is causing the present high pricing and get that reopenned would lower the price
Was this one of those crazy discount JN award from April 2022? This changes the case. Or do you have I space in UA??

That will not work and is a sign of an inexperienced / lazy agent.
as does

You could call back and try again or possibly just ask for a supervisor, what you are asking for can not be done by the average phone agent, the re-open of space on UA requires a supervisor approval
Thanks for all the help. It’s an I space ticket that I booked in November. Due to hold times lately it’s probably not with many more hours on hold so will just leave it. Was worth a shot.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 7:23 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Plenty of IN availability to LHR

I see Polaris IN availability EWR - LHR (check IAD too) for 60K each next summer for upto 4 pax on lots of days next year, with an additional 6K in coach X connections to Star alliance hubs like LIS, BRU, FRA, GVA, ZRH etc. Booked Spain for spring break and Switzerland for summer, used excursionist to have a London stopover each trip. Fees weren’t terrible, about $110 per pax. Obviously IN space doesn’t help if you don’t have status, but hope it helps some folks planning a family trip to Europe.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 9:52 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This is archive thread, the active thread is UA award booking, change questions / issues / routing / excursionist problems / help

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 24, 2023 at 10:35 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.