Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Premier Status Match Challenge (Questions, Discussion, etc.) {ARCHIVE}

MileagePlus Premier Status Match Challenge (Questions, Discussion, etc.) {ARCHIVE}

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 13, 18, 3:11 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 18, 12, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Hello,
I plan on applying to a status match. I'm currently AA Executive Platinum, which entitles me to the united premier platinum match.
The problem is that I will probably won't be able to reach the needed 25,000 miles in the next 90,000 (will reach ~22,000 miles).

Is it possible to request (in advance) to be matched to Gold instead (and meet the needed 17,500 miles criteria?)
Also, how does the miles count? I now I have to fly United, but does the Business or First class bonus count?

thank you
Old Apr 18, 12, 12:25 pm

It's actual flight miles, no bonuses.

United Status Match

You can ask to be downgraded but I'm not sure they allow that once the challenge has started. It can't hurt to ask.
Old Apr 18, 12, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I asked to do the Premier Platinum challenge, but because of my DL DM status was given the 1K challenge instead. Turns out I'll make the 35k miles, but I wasn't necessarily happy that I was given the 1K challenge after specifically requesting the platinum one.
Old Apr 18, 12, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Originally Posted by jjoe123 View Post
Hello,
I plan on applying to a status match. I'm currently AA Executive Platinum, which entitles me to the united premier platinum match.
The problem is that I will probably won't be able to reach the needed 25,000 miles in the next 90,000 (will reach ~22,000 miles).

Is it possible to request (in advance) to be matched to Gold instead (and meet the needed 17,500 miles criteria?)
Also, how does the miles count? I now I have to fly United, but does the Business or First class bonus count?

thank you
Have you thought out that the grass may not be greener? As an EXP I'm sure you are used to sitting up front much more than not. As a 1K equivalent here you will be sitting in steerage more than F.
Old Apr 18, 12, 1:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by enviroian View Post
Have you thought out that the grass may not be greener? As an EXP I'm sure you are used to sitting up front much more than not. As a 1K equivalent here you will be sitting in steerage more than F.
1K gets you M-UP which is a huge benefit because it allows instant UG at time of purchase and UG ahead of the herd in the standard process. Below 1K, that's confined to Y/B.
Old Apr 18, 12, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA MM
I agree. Since the CO management takeover, many folks here have been exploring other options for their loyalty.
Old Apr 18, 12, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: The Airline Run by Doug P
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
1K gets you M-UP which is a huge benefit because it allows instant UG at time of purchase and UG ahead of the herd in the standard process. Below 1K, that's confined to Y/B.
But for me M-UP is irrevelant. My company insists on purchasing lowest fare available. If this is also true for the OP, then I believe my comment is still valid.
Old Apr 18, 12, 2:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
But for me M-UP is irrevelant. My company insists on purchasing lowest fare available. If this is also true for the OP, then I believe my comment is still valid.
It sounds as though OP must fly UA, either because his employer has a contract or because his new travel needs are to UA and not AA destinations. If he's stuck in fare buckets below M, the UG's just won't be there.
Old Apr 18, 12, 3:45 pm

I sent in my delta GM credential 2 weeks ago and just got this email. Pretty surprising, should I call in to confirm?

Welcome to Premier Gold status for 2012

Dear X,

Thank you for your interest in the award-winning MileagePlus program.

We are pleased to grant you 2012 Premier Gold status, based on your activity with your current frequent flyer program. Your credentials should arrive in 4-6 weeks and are valid through January 31, 2013.

Your MileagePlus account already reflects your new status, which means all the Premier Gold benefits are ready for you. Simply provide your MileagePlus number when you book your flights. Of course, if your account already has a higher Premier status, nothing was changed.
Old Apr 18, 12, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by duke2013 View Post
I sent in my delta GM credential 2 weeks ago and just got this email. Pretty surprising, should I call in to confirm?

Welcome to Premier Gold status for 2012

Dear X,

Thank you for your interest in the award-winning MileagePlus program.

We are pleased to grant you 2012 Premier Gold status, based on your activity with your current frequent flyer program. Your credentials should arrive in 4-6 weeks and are valid through January 31, 2013.

Your MileagePlus account already reflects your new status, which means all the Premier Gold benefits are ready for you. Simply provide your MileagePlus number when you book your flights. Of course, if your account already has a higher Premier status, nothing was changed.
Got the same email, but Premier Platinum wording. I wouldn't call. Why would you call? if it expires in 90 days, that's all you're eligible for. If it lasts thru 1/13, then hooray. Don't alert them to a possible mistake. *facepalm*
Old Apr 18, 12, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by alanisrox69 View Post
Got the same email, but Premier Platinum wording. I wouldn't call. Why would you call? if it expires in 90 days, that's all you're eligible for. If it lasts thru 1/13, then hooray. Don't alert them to a possible mistake. *facepalm*
I'd call because then I would know if I need to complete a challenge to keep for the rest of the year...
Old Apr 18, 12, 11:43 pm

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
I thought this was a huge benefit but in reality it is just a benefit. It really depends on the route. Some routes the difference between M and B is very small. In which case the B might even make more sense due to higher flexibility, higher priority in IROPS and more EQMs. In other cases I've found the M to be no cheaper than discounted First. Of course there are markets where the M is significantly cheaper than either the B or discounted F but it really is route dependent IMO.
Old Apr 19, 12, 8:42 am
Original Poster

challange

So just to make sure I understand, the miles in the challenge (17.500 or 25,000) are actual miles flown (without business/first class bonus), right?
So there is no difference if I fly first, business of economy for the challenge?
Old Apr 19, 12, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by jjoe123 View Post
So just to make sure I understand, the miles in the challenge (17.500 or 25,000) are actual miles flown (without business/first class bonus), right?
So there is no difference if I fly first, business of economy for the challenge?
If you read the united status match thread in the pre merger forum, it seems like everyone has been getting a status match instead of a challenge
Old Apr 20, 12, 5:09 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Amtrak S+, AA Gold, UA*S, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by duke2013 View Post
I think this is how they're indicating that they made an exception. Did you send your statement or just your card? They may only advertise the challenge program so as not to get people negotiating for a match instead of a challenge but will grant matches to applicants who meet certain conditions. I'm wondering if there were travel patterns on your statement that made you particularly appealing.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: