Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2024, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2023, 9:56 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by as219
My usual strategy is to apply PP at booking then watch the buckets. If F looks wide open, as soon as I can see the waitlist on the app (a few days before the flight), I remove and reapply the PP, to see what effect it has on my place on the list. If F is wide open and I'd be at the top of the list without PP, then remove them. No sense in spending PP when I'd get the CPU anyway. But if there's any chance this might not happen, I leave the PP applied.

IME, domestic upgrades before T-48 are very, very rare, even if F is empty.
I understand this if you can use your PPs elsewhere. I haven't gotten a CPU on my routes in years and I don't care to save PPs because I can't use that many. Hell, I spent 160 PPs just to UG a domestic itinerary back in July. In January, I'm going to have 500+ expire worthless.

What I would like is the best strategy for applying PPs, while still getting a look at the varying cash UG offers up until departure.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA PLT (MM), UA 1K, Marriott Ti, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by zombietooth
What I would like is the best strategy for applying PPs, while still getting a look at the varying cash UG offers up until departure.
+1
Old Nov 14, 2023, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
I understand this if you can use your PPs elsewhere. I haven't gotten a CPU on my routes in years and I don't care to save PPs because I can't use that many. Hell, I spent 160 PPs just to UG a domestic itinerary back in July. In January, I'm going to have 500+ expire worthless.

Itin #1: book, apply PP, note the UFC offer
Itin #2: book same itin as in #1, note the UFC offer, then cancel (for full refund) if desired

A pain in the neck to be sure, and not 100% commensurate (depending on the fare buckets, booking the same thing again might not be into the same bucket and therefore not lead to the same UFC offer), but, I think, the best you can do.
kb1992 and zombietooth like this.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Global Services and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador

Itin #1: book, apply PP, note the UFC offer
Itin #2: book same itin as in #1, note the UFC offer, then cancel (for full refund) if desired

A pain in the neck to be sure, and not 100% commensurate (depending on the fare buckets, booking the same thing again might not be into the same bucket and therefore not lead to the same UFC offer), but, I think, the best you can do.
The strategy is different whether you have 500 PP expiring or don't have that many PP and you want to use PP wisely.

If you have that many PP expiring, sure apply PP on every ticket except the one you care most e.g. EWR-SFO, then you do what as219 suggested.

It's a pain though.
zombietooth likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2023, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Just booked a return Europe flight today departing in 5 days and returning about two weeks later. I barely had to alter my plans to get PZ space. For this weekend I saw plenty of PZ space from EWR/IAD/ORD to FRA. For my return I saw PZ space open on several routes including FRA-EWR/IAD/ORD, LHR-EWR/IAD/ORD, LHR-IAH (yes!), etc. I'd gladly route through IAH but my final destination is east coast so it forces the IAH flights into "Y" class and $6K for coach.

I still agree that PPs are hard to use. But I've been having more luck using them close-in than trying far in advance. Plus November is a slow month of travel so I'm not surprised. I'll likely get to burn most of my PPs before January 31 expiration which shocks me.

-RM
Old Nov 14, 2023, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I wouldn't surmise that November is a slow travel month for seasoned travelers. I want to be done before the holidays. I can say that I'm on a flight tomorrow from DEN to SBA on a Wednesday which I wouldn't expect to have heavy traffic, and as 1K, I'm 13 out of 40 for an upgrade without using PP. I ended up with a cheap fare for the flight. Perhaps the cheapest fare, which means there are 12 1K/GSs with higher fares or Platinum with PPs ahead of me. What are y'all up to?
Old Nov 15, 2023, 6:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by hsawaknow
I wouldn't surmise that November is a slow travel month for seasoned travelers. I want to be done before the holidays. I can say that I'm on a flight tomorrow from DEN to SBA on a Wednesday which I wouldn't expect to have heavy traffic, and as 1K, I'm 13 out of 40 for an upgrade without using PP. I ended up with a cheap fare for the flight. Perhaps the cheapest fare, which means there are 12 1K/GSs with higher fares or Platinum with PPs ahead of me. What are y'all up to?
Don't forget about all the gold and lower with mileage upgrade awards too.
hsawaknow likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by hsawaknow
On a recent Friday @ 10pm SFO-SAN flight I was #18 on a list of 40+. First time I've failed a CPU on this flight in ages. Yikes!
hsawaknow and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Nov 22, 2023, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I was upgraded to 1A flying YVR-IAH. I was also able to finally use my PP on my SCL-IAH flight!!!
SPN Lifer and Boraxo like this.
Old Nov 24, 2023, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium, LTP; IHG Platinum
PlusPoints supported upgrade for DCA-DEN died at No. 1 on gate screen; No. 2 on App and website.

During 1K pre boarding, the gate agent said: “1K: one at a time” trademark😄
Old Nov 30, 2023, 5:21 pm

Well, here's a new one for me.

Flying SAN-IAH-LGA in a few days on a K fare. Applied PP at booking. Am now able to see the waitlists on flight status... So I'm #7 of ~30 for the first leg, #11 ~30 on the second leg. Whatevs. So I remove the PP to see the effect and what the buy-up offer would be. Answer? Absolutely zippo. Nada. Applying PP did not affect my place on the waitlist. At. All. Have never seen that.

I gather 1Ks are all dumping their PPs at this point. Yikes.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 6:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I gather 1Ks are all dumping their PPs at this point.
Been (attempting to) dump them all year.
Old Dec 1, 2023, 3:33 am

Programs: AA PLT (MM), UA 1K, Marriott Ti, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
Been (attempting to) dump them all year.
Same
uanj likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2023, 8:33 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
I’m sure my last remaining ones will expire unused. Oddly, I’m closing in on Exec Plat on AA mainly on CC spend, though I am flying their domestic routes more. That gives me AA miles to spend on cheap BA awards - almost alway available - plus free seat selection.

At this point, it’s about maximizing usable benefits for spend, and I don’t see the usable benefit of more than UA Gold. I’m sure I will fly a bunch of UA domestic paid F, but only have one international flight on UA planned for the first half of next year. I’m one of those not willing to buy paid J on UA international when there are other options cheaper and with better food and service.
technique, eightblack and Kacee like this.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA Platinum 2MM
LGA-ORD Monday morning after Thanksgiving for myself and my wife using PP. Cleared 16 hours before the flight. Was in a use them or lose them scenario.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.