Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Old Jan 27, 2024, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Old Nov 6, 2023, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by as219
This has happened to me, but I make a point of insuring that anyone using my instruments has my contact information and that I have their flight info so that if anything goes wrong it can be fixed. Ive gotten such calls a couple of times. I.e., it does happen.
When in the process does it typically happen? And let's assume everyone has the correct info -- how does that mean there was no improper underlying transaction? I don't really understand what exactly UA is trying to learn or how they decide when to make such calls.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by st530
When in the process does it typically happen? And let's assume everyone has the correct info -- how does that mean there was no improper underlying transaction? I don't really understand what exactly UA is trying to learn or how they decide when to make such calls.
Once I was called ahead of time, but the other occasions were from the airport.

In general, it seems to me, if there are no IRROPS and no changes of any kind, everything goes fine. It's when things go pear shaped that issues arise. The one time I remember clearly, the flight was cancelled and it kicked out the CR-1 I was using to support the upgrade. The GA needed to reapply but (apparently) couldn't do it without my authorization. That required getting me on the phone.

Maybe it's different with PP but who knows?
Old Nov 6, 2023, 4:55 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Sigh. PP on a W fare SFO-YVR. Was 2nd on the list with 3 seats avail this morning. Now 4th on the list with 1 seat avail. Lovely.
uanj likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Sigh. PP on a W fare SFO-YVR. Was 2nd on the list with 3 seats avail this morning. Now 4th on the list with 1 seat avail. Lovely.
On a Monday morning, when all OPM flyers head to work and F probably close to if not sells out, and youre suprised?
Old Nov 6, 2023, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
On a Monday morning, when all OPM flyers head to work and F probably close to if not sells out, and youre suprised?
Certainly not surprised, but I also don't think most F fares are sold day-of. Evening, not morning flight fwiwia
Old Nov 6, 2023, 6:45 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by technique
Doesn't this mean they likely purchased their upgrade?
Not in this case, I heard the FA inform him of the upgrade and bring him up front from his seat in the row behind me. It was right before they closed the door and must have been processed manually because the upgrade list already showed as closed on the app before updating.

The upgrade list was kind of wonky for this flight anyway, the seat map showed as full while the list showed 1 available and I didn't see any empty seats. Not really concerned on such a short flight, when I'm just trying to use my points before expiration though
Old Nov 6, 2023, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Certainly not surprised, but I also don't think most F fares are sold day-of. Evening, not morning flight fwiwia
Maybe, maybe not, but we have seen cheap day of TODs being solicited, and sold successfully.

Win win for airlines, get pax to buy higher and higher fares/cabin seating, just to have a chance. TODs sweep in are just incremental revenue without airlines incurring any additional direct costs.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Maybe, maybe not, but we have seen cheap day of TODs being solicited, and sold successfully.

Win win for airlines, get pax to buy higher and higher fares/cabin seating, just to have a chance. TODs sweep in are just incremental revenue without airlines incurring any additional direct costs.
oh, I have high confidence these went to TOD folks.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 11:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
I am not doubting your story but I find it strange that UA has never done this to me even though I've upgraded probably a dozen or more friends (and in some cases a companion such as the friend's mother) to Polaris, and I can't imagine how UA would be able to know we were actual friends versus some scheme that would warrant throwing the person off the plane. And none has ever been asked how they got upgraded.
It's happened several times to me-I've been a 1K for ~25 years now. One time it was just a vigilant agent who was suspicious that General members had sponsored UGs to Polaris (back when that happened). The other times, IIRC, were triggered by flight cancellations and reroutes. Every instance where I've been called was when the sponsored flyers were at the airport and checking in. A couple times, the corporate security reps were really aggressive and very suspicious that I had sold or traded UG instruments.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2023, 6:29 am

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
I know people have been complaining about lack of UG lately - and I wonder which flights they are taking to routinely get nothing (besides the high volume hub-hub)

I took LHR-EWR yesterday - everyone got upgraded and flight when out with 3 open Polaris and about 10 premium plus seats open
- no wonder UA is sponsoring the promotion for extra miles with E tickets
- of note, got upgraded at least t>48 hr on 2/3 segments that brought me out to LHR last week with PP
- sure, I was well into the double digits on the DEN-ORD flight...... but that was a miserable flight to begin with and doubt a UG would have made it better

maybe it is seasonable - maybe the economy is really slowing down?
Old Nov 7, 2023, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
These conversations happen every single time around this year. November is when travel starts falling off a cliff as people start saving their pennies for holiday travel. On top of that the government funding cycle is super slow in their Q1 (generally, compared to their other quarters) which runs in calendar year Q4. So, airlines hunker down and get ready for the holiday travel season from late November through early January. Otherwise this would be the most abysmal time of year for them. February isn't much better.

Upgrades become a lot easier this time of year, period.

-RM
Boraxo, Lori_Q and uanj like this.
Old Nov 7, 2023, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by mfirst
I know people have been complaining about lack of UG lately - and I wonder which flights they are taking to routinely get nothing (besides the high volume hub-hub)

I took LHR-EWR yesterday - everyone got upgraded and flight when out with 3 open Polaris and about 10 premium plus seats open
- no wonder UA is sponsoring the promotion for extra miles with E tickets
- of note, got upgraded at least t>48 hr on 2/3 segments that brought me out to LHR last week with PP
- sure, I was well into the double digits on the DEN-ORD flight...... but that was a miserable flight to begin with and doubt a UG would have made it better

maybe it is seasonable - maybe the economy is really slowing down?
Peak flying season has been over for a while now. School is back in session. Business travel has not recovered anywhere close.

As posted upthread, upgrades are seasonal and route specific.
Old Nov 7, 2023, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
These conversations happen every single time around this year. November is when travel starts falling off a cliff as people start saving their pennies for holiday travel. On top of that the government funding cycle is super slow in their Q1 (generally, compared to their other quarters) which runs in calendar year Q4. So, airlines hunker down and get ready for the holiday travel season from late November through early January. Otherwise this would be the most abysmal time of year for them. February isn't much better.

Upgrades become a lot easier this time of year, period.

-RM
Well, I certainly hope you're right. I'm only batting .500 on my Japan flights since August (and that includes a few UGs to UA's subpar P+) and I really would appreciate an increase in my upgrade rate.

Last edited by zombietooth; Nov 7, 2023 at 7:42 pm
Old Nov 8, 2023, 12:07 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
I am not doubting your story but I find it strange that UA has never done this to me even though I've upgraded probably a dozen or more friends (and in some cases a companion such as the friend's mother) to Polaris, and I can't imagine how UA would be able to know we were actual friends versus some scheme that would warrant throwing the person off the plane. And none has ever been asked how they got upgraded.
I know of two instances where I sponsored upgrades and the passenger got questioned. The first one I understand, my ex-colleague has a tendency to run at the mouth and speaks in a loud voice. His wife said they were at the gate and he started this conversation with total strangers about how he would return the favor or compensate me. GA heard, apparently half the people in the gate area could as well, pulled him over to question him about it.

Second time was an overbooking situation. A flight cancellation from the day before left too many people to put in business and there was a "special guy", not a gate agent, who was calling all the upgrades to the podium to talk to them about how they got their upgrades. Sounds like a waste of time, nothing came of it.
SPN Lifer and zombietooth like this.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looking at a domestic CPU-eligible 77W flight. At T-48 hrs flight is booked 49/60; no ugs showing cleared sofar.......

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.