Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Old Jan 27, 2024, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Old Dec 18, 2023, 10:29 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by mfirst
Flying den-ogg tomorrow
1k, applied Pp (not sure of my fare class)
busfir is 27/28 booked

im #8 on the ug list

hmmm - what do you think about my chances to get an upgrade.
Lol. Is this a joke? Non existent chance of an upgrade.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 10:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Delta Silver
Had another great year for upgrades

Polaris upgrade success: 90% (9/10)
Upgraded routes: GRU-ORD, IAH-NRT, SIN-SFO, KIX-SFO, IAD-ZRH, GRU-IAD, SFO-HKG, HKG-SFO, IAD-GRU
Failed: EWR-DXB
Premium Plus upgrade K-> RN: SFO-NRT (did not waitlist for Polaris)

Non-Polaris upgrade success: 91% (32/35)
CPU: YYC-DEN, YYC-SFO, DEN-ORD, IAD-CLT, ORD-DTW
PlusPoints: YYC-DEN, YYC-IAH, YYC-ORD, DEN-LAX, IAD-IAH, IAH-LAS, IAH-SFO x 2, IAH-BOG, ORD-MIA, ORD-IAH, ORD-YYC x 2, SFO-LAX, SFO-EWR, SFO-ORD, LAX-ORD, LAX-IAD, LAX-MCO, EWR-MIA, MCO-ORD, CLT-IAH, LAS-LAX
Instant upgrades B->PN: EWR-IAD, IAD-SFO, SFO-YYC, SFO-IAD

Failed PlusPoints: YYC-IAH, ORD-YYC
Failed CPU: DTW-IAD
Old Dec 18, 2023, 10:37 am

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
There is a chance. Like I say at work rounded to the nearest integer.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 10:41 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by leoo
Had another great year for upgrades

Polaris upgrade success: 90% (9/10)
Upgraded routes: GRU-ORD, IAH-NRT, SIN-SFO, KIX-SFO, IAD-ZRH, GRU-IAD, SFO-HKG, HKG-SFO, IAD-GRU
Failed: EWR-DXB
Premium Plus upgrade K-> RN: SFO-NRT (did not waitlist for Polaris)

Non-Polaris upgrade success: 91% (32/35)
CPU: YYC-DEN, YYC-SFO, DEN-ORD, IAD-CLT, ORD-DTW
PlusPoints: YYC-DEN, YYC-IAH, YYC-ORD, DEN-LAX, IAD-IAH, IAH-LAS, IAH-SFO x 2, IAH-BOG, ORD-MIA, ORD-IAH, ORD-YYC x 2, SFO-LAX, SFO-EWR, SFO-ORD, LAX-ORD, LAX-IAD, LAX-MCO, EWR-MIA, MCO-ORD, CLT-IAH, LAS-LAX
Instant upgrades B->PN: EWR-IAD, IAD-SFO, SFO-YYC, SFO-IAD

Failed PlusPoints: YYC-IAH, ORD-YYC
Failed CPU: DTW-IAD
Wow - good for you, these are incredible stats in my view and I'm surprised to see so much success out of SFO, particularly with IAH/IAD/SIN in the mix as destinations. Do you try to travel at off-peak days/times?
technique and leoo like this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 10:42 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum
You may want to change your name to "mcoach" for this one...
SPN Lifer, as219, Kacee and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Wow - good for you, these are incredible stats in my view and I'm surprised to see so much success out of SFO, particularly with IAH/IAD/SIN in the mix as destinations. Do you try to travel at off-peak days/times?
Definitely off-peak. I usually travel mid-week and don't mind the first or last/red-eye flights of the day.
As for the SIN-SFO upgrade, that only happened because of the HND-LAX route suspension. I was originally on SIN-HND-LAX and United rebooked me SIN-SFO-LAX.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 11:16 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by leoo
Definitely off-peak. I usually travel mid-week and don't mind the first or last/red-eye flights of the day.
As for the SIN-SFO upgrade, that only happened because of the HND-LAX route suspension. I was originally on SIN-HND-LAX and United rebooked me SIN-SFO-LAX.
very good - sounds weird to say but excellent to see someone able to get so much value out of 1k.
leoo likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Love your altitude of glass is always half full.
Ask FT moderator to let you swing between mfirst 😀 and mecon.😂
Old Dec 18, 2023, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
I cleared from K to SIN this spring. Tuesday didn't have many OPM flyers, so it wasn't too hard.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 5:55 am

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
/Kmxuslappychasez -

I actually did get the PP upgrade on the DEN-OGG leg.....
I cant explain it either

-m
Old Jan 22, 2024, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
My first post-Jan 31 PPs cleared! SAN-IAD 3+ weeks out no less. I found this a tough route to clear in 2023. Very pleased.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 2:14 pm

Looking over my 2023 numbers - 19/24 on CPU-possible routes // 6/6 on intl PP usage (including last minute clearing on an EWR-JNB)

Starting 2024 - have been 0/4 already, so only need one more miss to hit last year's miss numbers. Have been moderately surprised at my bad luck given quite a bit of travel in January (which historically had been 100% for me). I know it's always route/time dependent - but also think the MAX9 issues have caused some of it (part of my misses were a r/t to MIA that had 2 MAX flights that were consolidated).

Have cleared r/t to New Zealand for me and a companion which makes up for it all. Here's hoping the spring brings better luck
Old Jan 22, 2024, 2:22 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
My wife's CPU request, as a 1K, on Sunday morning's LAX-IAD on the 789 ended up at 33rd on the list (I, as a 1K using PP, was 11th). The overall list was something like 80 people. I expected a Sunday transcon flight to be a challenge, but that was mind-blowing.

During preboarding, someone walked up and asked if they were boarding 1Ks still. I said, "We're still on GS!" and the guy said, "Really? There's no way there are that many GS!" (Looked like about 15-20 boarded during the GS call.)

I'm 0/2 for January so far, as is my wife (technically, 1/2 for me, since I cleared IAD-LAX after boarding... which no one informed me of, and I rode in Y... I'll try to get those PP back and extended I guess).
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
If I remember correctly, I was 13th out of 26 on a K fare on last Friday's EWR-SEA, so over half the upgrade list was either 1K/GS or had instruments applied. I didn't bother to apply PlusPoints to check, but I suspect there are a lot of expiring PlusPoints floating around the system. Hoping things improve Feb 1.
Old Jan 22, 2024, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Polytonic
If I remember correctly, I was 13th out of 26 on a K fare on last Friday's EWR-SEA, so over half the upgrade list was either 1K/GS or had instruments applied. I didn't bother to apply PlusPoints to check, but I suspect there are a lot of expiring PlusPoints floating around the system. Hoping things improve Feb 1.
I think it's a combo of expirations and the unusually large number of cancelations and delays from the combo of the MAX grounding and weather. Elites are getting concentrated onto the remaining flights in such a way that there's really no such thing as off-peak for domestic travel right now. I've still had a few upgrades clear, notably on LAX-SFO yesterday where about half the plane was GS/1K preboards!
ContinentalFan likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.