Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2024, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2024, 1:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by cesco.g
How did you set alerts for PN? (AFAIK it is not a UA.com feature)
I have a programmer friend who is testing a program/script to find PN and IN.
Old May 19, 2024, 9:53 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Very strange experience today on FRA-SFO. Q fare, PP upgrade waitlist applied about 3 weeks ago to both Premium Plus and Polaris. Several hours before departure I was 1st on the PP list with 1 seat available, and 6th on the Polaris list with 0 seats available. An hour before boarding it was unchanged - with 58/60 people in Polaris showing as checked in.

Shortly afterwards (maybe 30 minutes before boarding started) I cleared into Premium Plus - not a surprise given I was 1st on the list. However at that point, I jumped to #1 on the Polaris upgrade list - above the 5 others that had previously been on the list above me. Nobody else cleared into Polaris at that time (4 were showing as cleared before, and the same 4 afterwards) - but for some reason my clearing into Premium Plus jumped me up the list!

After I boarded, they obviously offloaded the 2 people in Polaris that still hadn't checked in, and I was upgraded to Polaris, which now showed as 59/60. About 10 minute later, the person who at that time was #3 on the Polaris upgrade list was also upgraded to the seat next to me. No idea what happened to #1 and #2, however they were the same surname so it's possible they decided to stay together and declined the upgrade.

I'm certainly not complaining (in this case, as least!), but clearly that's not how priority is supposed to work, right?
Old May 19, 2024, 10:17 am

Programs: United Platinum, Frontier Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond/ Ambassador/ Milestoner
Three days ago on MAD-IAD wife and I had Premium Plus/ Premium Economy seats. I passed on the buy up since it was a day flight. Premium Plus always showed full, but there were 12 Polaris seats from three days out to near boarding time. Never more than 3 folks on the upgrade list. We were called to the desk and upgraded to Polaris. I suspect that Premium Plus was over sold, and I was the highest ranking (Platinum) pax in Premium Plus. Remarkably sweet upgrade.
SPN Lifer and benewr like this.
Old May 19, 2024, 11:14 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by docbert
... Shortly afterwards (maybe 30 minutes before boarding started) I cleared into Premium Plus - not a surprise given I was 1st on the list. However at that point, I jumped to #1 on the Polaris upgrade list - above the 5 others that had previously been on the list above me....
Did you happen to notice if the PremPlus was R or RN ? This happened once for me and I was the skipped over previous #1. I think this happens if the GA manually clears the economy person into PremPlus as R and not RN.

I complained and some compensation ( a future RT transcon upgraded and a moderate ETC). This was 18 months or so back

Also I think they should do the Polaris upgrades first and then the PremPlus
zombietooth likes this.
Old May 19, 2024, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Did you happen to notice if the PremPlus was R or RN ?
I didn't look. At the moment it's showing correctly as PZ, however on the website it's showing as "Ticket status: processing" and "Your purchase is confirmed and your reservation is processing" so it wouldn't surprise me if something has been done manually with the reservation to put it out of sync. Thankfully this is the last leg of the ticket, so it's not going to cause any issues (other than possibly miles posting which I'll keep an eye on!)
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old May 19, 2024, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by slappychasez
Interesting that everyone is finding upgrades difficult. I am batting at 18/40 on upgrades YTD, so a 45% upgrade rate. Only one of those segments I used PP on, so mostly CPU. All of these are domestic segments.
As a Plat CPUs at least for me flying out of SFO are pretty much non existent (YMMV). My business partner who is 1K followed me to KOA out of SFO and had PPs in play for an upgrade. He was #1 on the list as a 1K with something around 10F unsold at T72. He promptly pulled the PPs and still remained at #1 and at T24 he cleared a CPU. He said this year as a 1K he is findings CPUs easier to clear. I don't know the numbers but he believes even out of hubs like SFO that are historically are rich with GS/1K paxs the numbers are down in 2024. I know the numbers are not released publicly but I don't doubt that.

Last edited by nomad420; May 20, 2024 at 11:38 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.