Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Old Jan 27, 2024, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Old Mar 31, 2024, 1:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mfirst
the part I don’t understand is how people are able to upgrade entire families. Remember, ogg-den doesn’t qualify for cpu.

lots of pp? ...
In January of this year, there were multiple posters that had 1,000+ PlusPoints expiring, many GS reach that level annually

Anyone with 100,000 PQPs (UA or partner flights) receives 860 PQPs

OW family of four domestic upgrade is 80 Pluspoints
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold
I seem to be getting more CPUs as a Gold than as a 1K (I lost my 1K status this year).

For example I just got back from YEG-DEN-EWR-SDQ (return) and got upgraded on 4 of the 6 legs. The Great 1K Cull is real! Though I don't see how this could be helping me.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by bigshooter
I barely got to use the PlusPoints I had last year as a lowly Plat. Ended up burning the last 20 on a SJO-IAH leg vs gambling on CPU.

Today I happened to check an upcoming LHR-IAH flight i paid in miles and was amazed to see PZ available and instant upgrade for 30 PP and $379. The ticket is going for 80k + $322 for saver Polaris, but I saved 50k miles by paying a couple hundred dollars extra in taxes (original ticket and the upgrade) and burning some pluspoints.

Prob my last trip to/from London for quite a while so at least I get a decent send off..
I have LHR-IAD offer of $379 for PremiumPlus. The Polaris offer is $2419. I guess that OP took the PremiumPlus offer and used PPs. There was no additional taxes (Air Passenger duty) other than the originally paid one for saver award (almost $200).

I guess that these offers won't change in the next 30 days because I am a 1K. In this case, I am willing to ride in E+. I can use the PPs for other trips.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rbakker
The Great 1K Cull is real!
No, its not. Im getting CPUs less frequently this year than ever before.

As always, its going to be a matter of individual experiences, but I can promise you that the cull is in the minds of board members only. UA wants as many 1Ks as they can get.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
No, its not. Im getting CPUs less frequently this year than ever before.

As always, its going to be a matter of individual experiences, but I can promise you that the cull is in the minds of board members only. UA wants as many 1Ks as they can get.
I certainly got culled. They don't want as many 1Ks as they can get, they want as much money as they can get. Which is understandable.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I certainly got culled. They don't want as many 1Ks as they can get, they want as much money as they can get. Which is understandable.
Both statements are true. UA would be happier if you were a 1K because then youd have given them more revenue.

For some of us with US addresses, its less expensive to earn 1K under the current requirements than it was under the previous regime.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 1:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
While I was not 1K last year, I am definitely doing really well this year, considering I'm 7 for 11 on CPUs so far and nearly all G/K fares. I'm 7 for 9 if we ignore January, so either 63% (year to date) or 77% (2023 program year) all TCONs except for one CLE-EWR segment.

Pretty sure I will clear Tuesday night's redeye as well.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 7:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Polytonic
While I was not 1K last year, I am definitely doing really well this year, considering I'm 7 for 11 on CPUs so far and nearly all G/K fares. I'm 7 for 9 if we ignore January, so either 63% (year to date) or 77% (2023 program year) all TCONs except for one CLE-EWR segment.

Pretty sure I will clear Tuesday night's redeye as well.
All of my TCONs have been full of 1Ks with no CPUs that I've witnessed so far this year. However, I also fly AA in paid F and, on a TCON last week, not only did everyone on the WL get UG'd, but also 2 non-revs. I witnessed and overheard everything being done at the gate.

I don't fly near as much on AA as on UA and DL (where UGs are very difficult), but I've been wondering if UGs on AA are significantly easier than on UA?
Old Apr 1, 2024, 7:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by zombietooth
but I've been wondering if UGs on AA are significantly easier than on UA?
Depends on station. Not at DFW, the AA equivalent of SFO for UA. Historically easier at PHX, for example.

But AA is getting better at monetizing upgrades and has recently cut way back on processing at the windows, instead waiting until the gate to process upgrades on many flights. Their buy up prices are also often much more reasonable than UA's, which is reducing seats available for upgrade. I'll pay $97 to upgrade cheapest Y to F on AA PHX-SFO all day long.
SPN Lifer, zombietooth and 8MiHi like this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
ORD-LAX $299 buy-up on HD 777.

Done.

Forget the ugprades...
Longboater likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 11:17 am

For some of us with US addresses, its less expensive to earn 1K under the current requirements than it was under the previous regime.
How so? By making use of the United credit cards?
Old Apr 1, 2024, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How so? By making use of the United credit cards?
US members had to earn 100K PQM and 15K PQD in the last year prior to the introduction of PQPs. International members had the PQD requirement waived. So whereas it was theoretically possible for a foreign member to achieve 1K for a few thousand dollars in long-haul economy, it cost at least $15K for a US member.

Between the starting bonuses (which are unlikely to continue0, credit cards, earnings on award travel, and the fact that some partner flights earn PQP at more than 1 PQP / $, I spent less than $15K last year to re-qualify as 1K, and I project to do so again this year.

Last edited by jsloan; Apr 1, 2024 at 11:28 pm Reason: Corrected PQP ratio, although I think my point was clear. :)
Old Apr 1, 2024, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold Choice Gold Wyndham Platinum IHG Platinum Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
ORD-LAX $299 buy-up on HD 777.

Done.

Forget the ugprades...
Great price, regardless of equipment, especially considering this is hub to hub. Would have taken it without thinking about it as well, even if the seat is in the middle 4.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
No, it’s not. I’m getting CPUs less frequently this year than ever before.

As always, it’s going to be a matter of individual experiences, but I can promise you that the “cull” is in the minds of board members only. UA wants as many 1Ks as they can get.
No CPU for me so far this year! 2 weeks ago, with PlusPoints applied, PHL-IAH cleared at the gate but IAH-LAX did not clear. LAX-EWR did not clear even with PP applied.

So for the next 2 trips, I am buying F instead of chancing PP. And CPU? What’s that???
zombietooth likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sapguy
And CPU? Whats that???
Central Processing Unit. This is where Sark lives to screw the user(s).
LaserSailor likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.