Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Old Jan 27, 2024, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Old Jan 19, 2023, 9:01 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
I've got one from today. SLC - LAX. Didnt put PP on this one as I knew odds were good when I booked a couple weeks ago. So, on a CPU - J5 at 24 hours - still had not cleared. Cleared about 90 minutes before departure.

Really is ridiculous. Pre-pandemic as a GS, 5 days out - would clear like clockwork as long as there were a few seats open. Now, on a short non hub-hub its 90 minutes before departure.

To add, it doesnt seem consistent at all. IAH-LGA (which has been an impossible update for me the last few times I've gone, even with PP applied) cleared a month out with PP. doesnt make sense.

I know these arent "Dying on the waitlist" examples but, as a GS, it was almost always a guarantee at T-5 but things have definitely changed.
Dyce likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 9:11 am

If you want an upgraded seat then pay for it.
Boraxo and artvandalay like this.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 9:48 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Here's an odd one....I've noticed the JNB/CPT routes often have 20+ open seats in Polaris, yet they never release a single PN (forget PZ) until the gate...twice I've been #2 on the list (so can't force GS upgrade...makes me wonder the GS who's number one doesn't do it?) and reliably...it clears at the gate. Why hold back 20+ seats?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by mfirst
Kacee,
Because everyone was saying "wait until 2023" when all of the extensions expire and there is a great Status reset

-m
I think theyre saying 2024, as the higher thresholds kick in this year for next.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
I think theyre saying 2024, as the higher thresholds kick in this year for next.
I don't believe there would be any meaningful changes 12 months from now even with the higher threshold. UA is driving behavior changes through TODs and PE fares.
jsloan, SPN Lifer and 8MiHi like this.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 11:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
There was much talk about a "thinning of the herd" as of Jan. 31, 2023. I suspect the numbers will drop, but the main positive impact will be on 1k pre-boarding, with upgrades becoming ever more difficult as UA gets even better at selling those seats out from under elites.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 11:52 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Why hold back 20+ seats?
Because they'll sell them.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by CLEguy
Because they'll sell them.
In the (now four) hours prior to departure? Absolutely not...
Old Jan 19, 2023, 12:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
In the (now four) hours prior to departure? Absolutely not...
But they'll definitely try to sell them.

These days UA will absolutely hold-off all upgrades to the gate in the hope of selling a single $1000 buy-up to J. They view elites as a captive market, to be squeezed for every last nickel. The evidence supports the conclusion they are correct.
SPN Lifer and porciuscato like this.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 12:36 pm

Programs: United 1K, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, InterCon RA, PC Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
But they'll definitely try to sell them.

These days UA will absolutely hold-off all upgrades to the gate in the hope of selling a single $1000 buy-up to J. They view elites as a captive market, to be squeezed for every last nickel. The evidence supports the conclusion they are correct.
Correct. I suspect United would rather sell that upgrade for $50 than give it to a 1k on Plus Points.
porciuscato and nexus7556 like this.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA LT GS | UA LT Club | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
There was much talk about a "thinning of the herd" as of Jan. 31, 2023. I suspect the numbers will drop, but the main positive impact will be on 1k pre-boarding, with upgrades becoming ever more difficult as UA gets even better at selling those seats out from under elites.
The boarding herd will thin starting Feb 1, but the upgrade herd won't thin until Aug 1.

Recall, there was a systemwide PP extension to July 31.

So even if folks have lost 1K, they still have their PPs which can consume PZ space.
8MiHi and nexus7556 like this.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 8:32 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Spikes
How do you pay for an upgraded seat? It's either paid for or you upgrade to it.
porciuscato likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 11:11 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by CMK10
How do you pay for an upgraded seat? It's either paid for or you upgrade to it.
Well TOD showed as upgraded on the upgrade list for my LAX-SYD flight in December. I paid for the upgraded seat.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Spikes
Thread wrecker!! 😉
Old Jan 20, 2023, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
I don't believe there would be any meaningful changes 12 months from now even with the higher threshold. UA is driving behavior changes through TODs and PE fares.
Well have to wait and see. Theres hope if they lean more towards spending than flying. Of course, if they run around randomly ordaining people to 1k, as they seem to have done in 22, its a different story.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.