Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2024, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2024, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jpr1953
I assume UA wd not sell an upgrade ticket for less that they are offering me - ??? this would be an interesting question.
It's unclear exactly what goes into the upgrade offers. They may be personalized, although I'm not sure that UA has explicitly acknowledged that. Even if they're not, the price changes regularly.

Originally Posted by jpr1953
The other thing I find frustrating with UA is that when I fly on the same schedule as an employee who has lower status that me, I am pretty certain UAs computer set the status as the lowest level of either party. I find this a pretty obnoxious practice.
I'd find that obnoxious too. It's not true, of course, but I'd find it obnoxious if it were. In a two-person itinerary, it'll use the priority of the highest-status person It gets a little more complicated when more people are involved.

I'm not saying there's never a glitch, but those are the published rules and every indication is that they work the vast majority of the time.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2024, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
The difference in fares between Y and J cabins appears to have decreased on many USA-Europe routes over the years. I just purchased an EWR-AMS returning ZRH-EWR for $3200 in Polaris. Nonrefundable Y was $1700. It's kind of a no-brainer for that lay flat seat despite how the soft product lottery goes. Guessing there are a lot less upgradable seats in this scenario....
Old Jan 27, 2024, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by adambrau
The difference in fares between Y and J cabins appears to have decreased on many USA-Europe routes over the years. I just purchased an EWR-AMS returning ZRH-EWR for $3200 in Polaris. Nonrefundable Y was $1700. It's kind of a no-brainer for that lay flat seat despite how the soft product lottery goes. Guessing there are a lot less upgradable seats in this scenario....
These days, for eastbound flights like EWR-CDG, EWR-FRA, or IAD-FRA for example, I do exactly as you do which is to find the best price on Polaris and book J outright. I may be willing to take a chance on the westbound in PE and use PP for the Polaris upgrade, but then United will offer me a buy-up and I end up taking it!

So, if you want Business then book Business! Simple as that!
eightblack and adambrau like this.
Old Jan 29, 2024, 5:50 am

Programs: UA Plat (1MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kmxu
I guess that you have schedule flexibility for some of your trips. IAD-HND is probably the easiest for upgrade, but I am surprised by the success of SFO/EWR/ORD-HND.
I don't have much flexibility on the day of travel, but I do have a bit of flexibility on the time of travel. Fortunately, my schedule typically has me flying US to Japan on a Tuesday and returning on a Friday. It probably also helps that I buy P+ seats rather than trying to upgrade from Economy.
SPN Lifer, Kmxu and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by as219
My first post-Jan 31 PPs cleared! SAN-IAD 3+ weeks out no less. I found this a tough route to clear in 2023. Very pleased.
More data points:

My usual SAN-IAD flight cleared with PP in mid-Feb and last Sunday, both times more than a week out. Probably would have CPU'd both times but didn't want to risk it.

It's getting easier...my go-to flights at least.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 3:11 pm

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
as219 - nice, but on the other side of the coin (and I know it is people returning home after spring break)... but the OGG-DEN (777-200) flight that I booked last week for a trip in a few days... I cant even get a non-middle row E+ seat (or a coffin class lay-flat for less than the price of a kidney) - and there are only a few of those available.....

-m
Old Mar 28, 2024, 10:26 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sapguy
These days, for eastbound flights like EWR-CDG, EWR-FRA, or IAD-FRA for example, I do exactly as you do which is to find the best price on Polaris and book J outright. I may be willing to take a chance on the westbound in PE and use PP for the Polaris upgrade, but then United will offer me a buy-up and I end up taking it!

So, if you want Business then book Business! Simple as that!
I buy PRemium Economy and then put a PP upgrade to Polaris. If it clears, great, if not, at least I have seat that isn’t totally horrible…
timfountain and nnn like this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by as219
It's getting easier...my go-to flights at least.
Traffic is light on many routes right now. I cleared two CPU last week as a Gold.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mfirst
as219 - nice, but on the other side of the coin (and I know it is people returning home after spring break)... but the OGG-DEN (777-200) flight that I booked last week for a trip in a few days... I cant even get a non-middle row E+ seat (or a coffin class lay-flat for less than the price of a kidney) - and there are only a few of those available.....

-m
OK but to be fair HI flights are almost always tough, especially the longer-haul routes.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by PushingTin
I buy PRemium Economy and then put a PP upgrade to Polaris. If it clears, great, if not, at least I have seat that isn’t totally horrible…
That’s exactly what I doing! Writing from my Premium Plus seat on LAX-EWR on 787-9 at this moment, and the flight is fully packed! Even as a 1K on a PP fare, I was #5 on the UG list for Polaris with PlusPoints applied. But the PP seat is very nice, the “enhanced” breakfast service in PP served on real china and silverware was delicious (comparable to standard domestic F breakfast), and the mid-flight cheese plate with wine (the other option was a humus/mezze plate) was very enjoyable.

I got a super nice LA-based crew, and my flight attendant was super friendly with a nice smile, which is making for a very pleasant flight even if I am not in Polaris.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 1:23 pm

Last night ogg-den. About 50 1k or gs
upgrade list was a mile long - mostly families Trying to upgrade 4+ people - which I don’t understand

den-abq: upgraddd t-2 with a cpu
carlos, the FA, was great
found my old fashions.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 5:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Last night ogg-den. About 50 1k or gs
upgrade list was a mile long - mostly families Trying to upgrade 4+ people - which I don’t understand
Seem normal for a Easter holiday family travel
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Definitely Easter family travel! LAX and EWR were packed with families with kids in tow. Madhouse everywhere and clearly, travel is back in style!

I was in Premium Plus and surrounded by little kids with their parents!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
the part I don’t understand is how people are able to upgrade entire families. Remember, ogg-den doesn’t qualify for cpu.

lots of pp?
lots of miles and $
lots of sdu $
the amounts they were asking were insane (duh)
Old Mar 31, 2024, 9:28 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
the part I don’t understand is how people are able to upgrade entire families. Remember, ogg-den doesn’t qualify for cpu.

lots of pp?
lots of miles and $
lots of sdu $
the amounts they were asking were insane (duh)
I have 280 PP right now, so could upgrade me and 13 of my favorite friends and family. I’m sure there are others on the thread with many more.
jsloan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.