Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Old Jan 27, 2024, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Old Dec 3, 2023, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold Choice Gold Wyndham Platinum IHG Platinum Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Funny how certain things work. I have two upcoming IAD-LAX roundtrips this month. My two LAX-IAD segments cleared automatically using PP. The first IAD-LAX segment cleared last Monday. Granted this is the 10 PM departure from IAD but was a little surprised given there were 15 seats taken in E+ while only one in F. It seems I may have been the only 1K using PP for this trip at the time. My second IAD-LAX flight is also the 10 PM departure. I am on the wait list and there are a mere three others seated in E+ while 8 of the 20 seats in F are taken. Flight is a week from tomorrow but I expect I should eventually clear knock on wood. I expected to clear my SRQ-IAD flight but with the upsells going for $140, which is within my own price range for taking upsell offers given the cost per hour. Early this morning, I was number two on the list, with four seats open. However, later this morning, there was only one seat left but the upsell price still remained $140. I bit the bullet and took it. I did not need the PQP as my projected status level for 2024 is set. I am sure many others here agree that $140 for the last open seat in F on a roughly two-hour afternoon flight with a meal served, albeit double catered since SRQ has no catering, is an acceptable deal. I just hope there are old fashioneds onboard.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 6:47 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
SFO-IAH for Tuesday cleared 18 hours ahead of time. That said, it's the 5:20AM departure and it was booked 13/24 as of earlier today so gives you a sense of just how deeply they're holding back. First CPU this year as far as I can recall.
Old Dec 3, 2023, 10:04 pm

I only fly domestic (1K), and I think I get CPUs with PP about 30-40% of the time. Which seems like a higher ratio than everybody else on here. Where are people having trouble getting CPUs? International flights? Cross country?
Old Dec 4, 2023, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bronco1983
I only fly domestic (1K), and I think I get CPUs with PP about 30-40% of the time.
If you're using PlusPoints, you're not getting CPUs. The 'C' in CPU is for "Complimentary." That said -- lots of people are having trouble getting upgrades even with PlusPoints applied.

Which seems like a higher ratio than everybody else on here.
My total upgrade percentage is about 60% this year -- not great, but not awful.

Where are people having trouble getting CPUs? International flights? Cross country?
It's less about the routes -- although transcontinental routes are tougher than something like IAH-STL -- and more about the day of the week and time of year. If you fly when everybody else is flying, you won't get upgraded.
SPN Lifer and Warriorconcept like this.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Getting used to zero CPUs on UA; for anything that matters I buy J. However, EWR-BOS as #23 for 0 seats on a H-fare was a bit shocking. At least it wasn't close.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 5:41 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by cfischer
Getting used to zero CPUs on UA; for anything that matters I buy J. However, EWR-BOS as #23 for 0 seats on a H-fare was a bit shocking. At least it wasn't close.
One can get lucky. I just got CPUs for a round-trip BOS-EWR-BOS, both legs in XN, each upgraded to PN 120 hours out. (Yeah, the 6am flights, but...)
Old Dec 4, 2023, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by wxguy
One can get lucky. I just got CPUs for a round-trip BOS-EWR-BOS, both legs in XN, each upgraded to PN 120 hours out. (Yeah, the 6am flights, but...)
I do have good luck with the 6 a.m. - but I hate the 6 a.m. departures Anyway, it's just BOS-EWR-BOS
Old Dec 4, 2023, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by wxguy
I got a CPU on the 6am BOS-EWR flight last week.

My fare was G class something like $80.

BTW united.com offered $60 buy-up to F. :-)
Old Dec 4, 2023, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I only fly domestic (1K), and I think I get CPUs with PP about 30-40% of the time. Which seems like a higher ratio than everybody else on here. Where are people having trouble getting CPUs? International flights? Cross country?
Apples to oranges. Different routes, different days, different time of the day, different seasons, your stats are not equivalent to others; similarity, someone else's is not the same as yours.

CPUs are not available on all routes, including long haul international routes, premium transcontinental routes (cross country), etc.

Fly Saturdays and see your % go way up than 30-40%. Someone posting it - see, I have a higher ratio than everyone else - apples to oranges.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.

Last edited by Repooc17; Dec 4, 2023 at 6:37 am
Old Dec 6, 2023, 9:10 am

Programs: UA Plat (1MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC
I booked a ticket yesterday and managed to have 20PP clear immediately, and I'm waitlisted for my remaining 10PP for the return flight. I had one upgrade that didn't clear (I requested two and only got one, so the wife got to enjoy Polaris home from Hawaii) but otherwise every PP upgrade I've applied has cleared. The only upgrades I really cared about were the TPAC legs (4 for 4), so the rest was just icing.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA- 1K, 1 million mile, Marriott LF Titanium, Hilton Diamond
fare changes unfair for upgrade list?

United has recently lowered their first class fares on numerous flights to equal or in some cases even lower than economy refundable fares. Sure seems unfair to those of us that are 1K, or GS that are high on the upgrade list. An occasional traveler can book a first class ticket a couple days before flight, at a very reduced price, which then even decreases the opportunity for comp upgrades. Seems very short-sighted by United to treat their higher status fliers in this manner...
Old Dec 7, 2023, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by roadkiller22
An occasional traveler can book a first class ticket a couple days before flight, at a very reduced price, which then even decreases the opportunity for comp upgrades. Seems very short-sighted by United to treat their higher status fliers in this manner...
Isn't that how it's been for a while now, though?
UA would rather sell a seat upfront than to give it away (CPU) or have someone use an instrument to upgrade. This is not a new phenomenon.

Err, welcome to United's Flyertalk!
Warriorconcept likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Welcome to the world of first class monetization.

United will gladly sell you a full Y fare, and offer a cheap buy up for the last F seat. It was never about fair or unfair, but everything about its own bottom line and shareholders.

Here is a reminder United also does not run a "loyalty" program. You may be "loyal" to United, but it is not reciprocated.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Why not buy the cheap F fare?
zambonisk, narvik and benjymessner like this.
Old Dec 7, 2023, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA- 1K, 1 million mile, Marriott LF Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I guess I haven't checked till recently... Really unbelievable that they shaft the higher status flyer by reducing the chances of comp upgrades. Almost a bait-n-switch tactic on what they claim our benefits are...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.