Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Old Jan 27, 2024, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Old Nov 2, 2023, 7:20 am

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
Yes Zurich

I think I applied my pp ewr-cle upgrade request after the lhr-ewr cleared to prem plus. Its a little unclear how that will work
Old Nov 2, 2023, 7:26 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium, LTP; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mfirst
Yes Zurich

I think I applied my pp ewr-cle upgrade request after the lhr-ewr cleared to prem plus. Its a little unclear how that will work
That will cost you additional 20 PPs, in addition to 20 PPs spent on PremPlus seat of ZRH-EWR. If you want to save 20 PPs, cancel the upgrade request of EWR-CLE before the upgrade is cleared.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 9:05 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Well, United wins again. My wife booked nine months ago in PP from LAX-LHR for this coming weekend and applied PP to waitlist for an upgrade to Polaris. The cash upgrade price was bouncing between $2k and $6k this whole time. A couple of weeks ago it dropped to $617, then bounced back and forth between that and $2k. Yesterday I was finally able to check the flight status to see where she was on the waitlist--Polaris showed full but making a dummy booking showed J5. She was #6 on the list but the upgrade price was still $617 so I went ahead and paid it for her. Got 20 pretty-much-worthless PPs back in her account, United got some incremental cash, and the presumably-GS above her on the waitlist saw another upgrade-possible seat disappear. *sigh* I hate that I'm giving in to United's FCM, but "happy wife, happy life" takes precedence.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 9:49 am
Moderator: Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
She was #6 on the list but the upgrade price was still $617 so I went ahead and paid it for her. Got 20 pretty-much-worthless PPs back in her account, United got some incremental cash, and the presumably-GS above her on the waitlist saw another upgrade-possible seat disappear. *sigh* I hate that I'm giving in to United's FCM, but "happy wife, happy life" takes precedence.
You chose wisely my son

And personally I think that's a good deal. The availability on the seat map is not always reliable as there is the possibility that some booked J customers haven't completed seat selection. That's why I always call the 1K line and personally ask them to tell me where I am on the list. This Oct was the first month probably in 24 months where I didn't clear my Australia-US upgrades in either direction so I pulled the trigger and upgraded to J.
Old Nov 2, 2023, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Friday 11/3 8pm ORD-IAH currently sitting 19th out of 42 on the list, albeit on a K fare
Old Nov 2, 2023, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by eightblack
......The availability on the seat map is not always reliable as there is the possibility that some booked J customers haven't completed seat selection. That's why I always call the 1K line and personally ask them to tell me where I am on the list. This Oct was the first month probably in 24 months where I didn't clear my Australia-US upgrades in either direction so I pulled the trigger and upgraded to J.
Placement on list can be tricky if UA is overselling PremPlus. Polaris may show J5, but there also may be 5 seats being held back because of PP oversell, meaning 10 seats open that could have up to 10 upgraders in them eventually.

In any case, OP's wife now guaranteed gets to try the fine cocktail menu at the LAX Polaris Lounge...
Old Nov 3, 2023, 12:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Lowest PP Redemption Value Ever?

Just burned 20 PP for SFO-FAT. The fare differential to F at purchase was $50, and CPU would be a near lock. Wrestled with this, but (a) it's an E75, and I was able to pick one of the last two single seats vs. seat lottery if I were to wait for CPU, and (b) I have a whole bunch of PP (now sitting on 180) that are going to expire on 1/31/24.
SPN Lifer and uanj like this.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 6:07 am

Programs: AA PLT (MM), UA 1K, Marriott Ti, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
Just burned 20 PP for SFO-FAT. The fare differential to F at purchase was $50, and CPU would be a near lock. Wrestled with this, but (a) it's an E75, and I was able to pick one of the last two single seats vs. seat lottery if I were to wait for CPU, and (b) I have a whole bunch of PP (now sitting on 180) that are going to expire on 1/31/24.
Yeah, I have 380 out of 300 applied for trips through jan 31 next year and probably will have all 300 expire by then. Honestly, the gate agent could tell me "I have a CPU for you" and I'd say "No, use my PP"🙃
eightblack and 8MiHi like this.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
I'm surprised all you folks with expiring PlusPoints don't try to exchange them via Coupon Connection or similar (maybe donate via the thread upforum somewhere). I'm sure there's someone out there with the flexibility and time to hunt for PZ space.

If they're truly as worthless as you say ... griping over it seems kind of reductive, no? I dunno, I've never been 1K, maybe I'd see it differently having earned them the hard way.
as219 likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Polytonic
I'm surprised all you folks with expiring PlusPoints don't try to exchange them via Coupon Connection or similar (maybe donate via the thread upforum somewhere). I'm sure there's someone out there with the flexibility and time to hunt for PZ space.

If they're truly as worthless as you say ... griping over it seems kind of reductive, no? I dunno, I've never been 1K, maybe I'd see it differently having earned them the hard way.
I got a buddy who's 1K that I do GOH with and he uses plus points for me. Unfortunately, he left the company and will no longer be 1k in January. Need to find a GS buddy now 😂

Edit: fwiw none of them have cleared so far for me, tho i expect HND-EWR in january will...
Old Nov 3, 2023, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm surprised all you folks with expiring PlusPoints don't try to exchange them via Coupon Connection or similar (maybe donate via the thread upforum somewhere).
Worthless doesn't mean people are willing to forfeit their 1K status by selling / trading them...
Old Nov 3, 2023, 1:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm surprised all you folks with expiring PlusPoints don't try to exchange them via Coupon Connection or similar
There's no way I'm going to play that game. I don't like to skirt the rules and I have no interest in forfeiting my MM status.

(And btw, I've given away plenty of upgrades over the years to FT members)
jsloan, SPN Lifer, uanj and 5 others like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 3, 2023 at 2:30 pm Reason: a little less snark
Old Nov 3, 2023, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.

Once you get lifetime status, you'd be a fool to do anything with them other than give them away. And, due to the chance of private information being leaked, giving them away isn't without risk either.
jsloan, SPN Lifer, uanj and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by jsloan
Worthless doesn't mean people are willing to forfeit their 1K status by selling / trading them...
Originally Posted by Kacee
There's no way I'm going to play that game. I don't like to skirt the rules and I have no interest in forfeiting my MM status.

(And btw, I've given away plenty of upgrades over the years to FT members)
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Once you get lifetime status, you'd be a fool to do anything with them other than give them away. And, due to the chance of private information being leaked, giving them away isn't without risk either.
Okay fine, maybe not Coupon Connection and I'm certainly not advocating selling them, but surely if Plus Points are truly worthless to you, there's no harm in donating them to a friend or relative? As far as I know, UA doesn't take issue with that.

Edit: my point is more towards the "you can't get any use out of them because you likely aren't able to find/take advantage of PZ space when it's available, but certainly someone you know probably could given the opportunity." The upside for you is basically (already) zero as many complaints here allude to, but the upside for a family member or friend could be much higher.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Okay fine, maybe not Coupon Connection and I'm certainly not advocating selling them, but surely if Plus Points are truly worthless to you, there's no harm in donating them to a friend or relative? As far as I know, UA doesn't take issue with that.

Edit: my point is more towards the "you can't get any use out of them because you likely aren't able to find/take advantage of PZ space when it's available, but certainly someone you know probably could given the opportunity." The upside for you is basically (already) zero as many complaints here allude to, but the upside for a family member or friend could be much higher.
Giving them to someone you know and can coach up is fine. However, giving them to strangers is just too risky unless it's a battlefield UG, sponsored at the gate for some random traveler, which I do when I can. I've had problems before where I was called and questioned extensively by UA corporate security because a person flying on my UG instruments didn't seem to know me or how they got the instruments (it was a friend of a friend situation). UA was literally in the process of throwing the travelers off the flight when they finally reached me.

In JAN, I will have over 500 expire worthless, and I've applied them to every flight I book, domestic or international.
jsloan and uanj like this.

Last edited by zombietooth; Nov 6, 2023 at 11:24 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.