Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Old Jan 27, 2024, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Old Nov 3, 2023, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
I happily apply my plus points for friends when they fly UA. They don't clear any more often than I do 🙂
jsloan, zombietooth, Kacee and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist

No upgrade for me again, but seems like it worked out for Mr #2 on the list!
Old Nov 4, 2023, 3:43 am

Programs: AA PLT (MM), UA 1K, Marriott Ti, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by zymm
No upgrade for me again, but seems like it worked out for Mr #2 on the list!
Doesn't this mean they likely purchased their upgrade?
uanj likes this.

Last edited by technique; Nov 4, 2023 at 8:00 am Reason: Quote
Old Nov 4, 2023, 4:56 am

Yesterday both LHR-IAD flights had PZ inventory open, and the 12 PM flight I flew went out with empty J seats. I sponsored a colleague into RN on LHR-DEN 12 hours before the flight. She immediately went to #1 on the list as a silver and cleared at the gate. Looks like she would have cleared into PZ had I sponsored that, as one seat went to a standby non rev.

1K colleague on CDG-IAD on 11/15 cleared to PZ on a T fare yesterday. Afterward, flight remained PN9. I’m looking at a very easy R to PZ upgrade IAD-CDG on 11/10 (though they are holding back inventory). The ticket is booked R out, K return (11/16), but Polaris is so lightly loaded both ways could probably go PZ/PZ without issue for <$1000 RT.

We have 1K members at our (small) firm for the first time as our international work as grown and COVID imposed travel stops all end. From reading this thread throughout the year, I had assumed it wouldn’t help much. If recent experience is any guide though, we’ll burn through all the PP by June 2024
Old Nov 4, 2023, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by prometa
From reading this thread throughout the year, I had assumed it wouldn’t help much. If recent experience is any guide though, we’ll burn through all the PP by June 2024
Upgrade clearance is extremely seasonal.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
​​​​​​Yep...and route specific.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
CPU'd on IAH-CUN at the ~96 hour mark. It's not really 96 hours as they processed overnight but given there were three E+ seats taken and 1 J seat taken it was a slam dunk. Oddly I think I might even clear my east coast to IAH flight as I'm #3 for 6 seats right now. Gotta love this time of year when travel slows down heavily due to the government fiscal year being over (and possibly grinding to a halt) and families saving their pennies for holiday travel later. My return flights from CUN to my destination also appear to be locked up for CPU at the window for both flights. CUN-IAH is a domestic 777 bird with 3 seats up front taken and E+ basically empty.

-RM
Boraxo likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Had a good one recently.

I wanted to change the date of a confirmed international D fare ticket to 24 hours earlier. United wanted $2K to make the change (also would have been D on the new flight), even though the flight was P9 and 16/50 open per flight status.

So instead, I downgraded to PP, got a $2k refund, and applied PPs, which cleared easily 12 hours later.
SPN Lifer, uanj, technique and 3 others like this.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 2:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Doppy
I wanted to change the date of a confirmed international D fare ticket to 24 hours earlier. United wanted $2K to make the change (also would have been D on the new flight), even though the flight was P9 and 16/50 open per flight status.
P is typically irrelevant at that point, since you're normally well inside the AP deadline for any discount fare. Likely the ticket would have repriced as a C, which is why the fare was higher.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
P is typically irrelevant at that point, since you're normally well inside the AP deadline for any discount fare. Likely the ticket would have repriced as a C, which is why the fare was higher.
It said it would still be a D fare

Anyway, the point was that PPs still have great value since I was going to sit in J one way or another
Old Nov 5, 2023, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium, LTP; IHG Platinum
Had a good one recently.

So instead, I downgraded to PP, got a $2k refund, and applied PPs, which cleared easily 12 hours later.
You beat the house🤪. Well done, my friend.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 6:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Anyway, the point was that PPs still have great value since I was going to sit in J one way or another
Glad it worked for you. There seem to be some Polaris flights with light loads at the moment.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 8:57 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat, BA Gold
Originally Posted by zombietooth
I've had a problems before where I was called and questioned extensively by UA corporate security because a person flying on my UG instruments didn't seem to know me or how they got the instruments (it was a friend of a friend situation). UA was literally in the process of throwing the travelers off the flight when they finally reached me.
I am not doubting your story but I find it strange that UA has never done this to me even though I've upgraded probably a dozen or more friends (and in some cases a companion such as the friend's mother) to Polaris, and I can't imagine how UA would be able to know we were actual friends versus some scheme that would warrant throwing the person off the plane. And none has ever been asked how they got upgraded.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Originally Posted by Repooc17
​​​​​​Yep...and route specific.
The good news for us is that the nature of our work is countercylical--we are most often traveling off season.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by st530
I am not doubting your story but I find it strange that UA has never done this to me even though I've upgraded probably a dozen or more friends (and in some cases a companion such as the friend's mother) to Polaris, and I can't imagine how UA would be able to know we were actual friends versus some scheme that would warrant throwing the person off the plane. And none has ever been asked how they got upgraded.
This has happened to me, but I make a point of insuring that anyone using my instruments has my contact information — and that I have their flight info — so that if anything goes wrong it can be fixed. I’ve gotten such calls a couple of times. I.e., it does happen.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.