Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Old Jan 27, 2024, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Old Nov 8, 2023, 10:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Looking at a domestic CPU-eligible 77W flight. At T-48 hrs flight is booked 49/60; no ugs showing cleared sofar.......
You can't necessarily tell if anyone's been upgraded from the published list. The days when flight status reliably showed that info are long gone. That said, I wouldn't expect upgrades to process prior to T-24. Good chance UA sells most or all of those seats as upgrades.
jsloan likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Peak flying season has been over for a while now. School is back in session. Business travel has not recovered anywhere close.

As posted upthread, upgrades are seasonal and route specific.
And day of week specific. I'm looking at a pretty much guaranteed fail for a PZ request on U fare TATL. If I could leave a couple days earlier (i.e. today) or few days later, I could clear easily. But this time my schedule isn't flexible enough, so in the back it's going to be. At least Y isn't horribly full so far. We'll see what happens when all the SBY load on though. I'm sure I'll wind up with one right next to me while rows in front and behind go empty middle. 🙄
Old Nov 8, 2023, 10:58 am

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Doing a run DEN-SLC for 2 segments on Saturday and have already been upgraded on both. Of course
ContinentalFan and eightblack like this.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
You can't necessarily tell if anyone's been upgraded from the published list. The days when flight status reliably showed that info are long gone. That said, I wouldn't expect upgrades to process prior to T-24. Good chance UA sells most or all of those seats as upgrades.
Flight is now 57/60 with several names disappeared from the u/g list; of course not clear if PP or CPU; took place around T-36.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 8:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Flight is now 57/60 with several names disappeared from the u/g list; of course not clear if PP or CPU; took place around T-36.
UA will do that sometimes now (sweep at T-36), in which case they'll clear down to J3. If there's a way to predict whether the sweep will run at T-24 vs. T-36, I haven't figured it out.
cesco.g, uanj and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 9:57 am

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
I think we have become spoiled by the upgrade list being available in realtime and not recognizing how dynamic it is - almost on a minute to minute basis and all of the factors that contribute to why it might change....
Old Nov 11, 2023, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by fumje
And day of week specific. I'm looking at a pretty much guaranteed fail for a PZ request on U fare TATL. If I could leave a couple days earlier (i.e. today) or few days later, I could clear easily. But this time my schedule isn't flexible enough, so in the back it's going to be. At least Y isn't horribly full so far. We'll see what happens when all the SBY load on though. I'm sure I'll wind up with one right next to me while rows in front and behind go empty middle. 🙄
Originally Posted by mfirst
I think we have become spoiled by the upgrade list being available in realtime and not recognizing how dynamic it is - almost on a minute to minute basis and all of the factors that contribute to why it might change....
Exactly.

I have seen non-status pax cleared EWR-NRT, and GS failed it.

Originally Posted by zombietooth
Well, I certainly hope you're right. I'm only batting .500 on my Japan flights since August (and that includes a few UGs to UA's subpar P+) and I really would appreciate an increase in my upgrade rate.
I am surprised to see you are betting 0.500 on Japan flights. If you select dates/flights carefully, 1K should clear nearly 100% of time.

When you booked P+, only GS sponsored upgrades are ahead of you. All my lower elite friends on P+ have cleared their upgrades to Japan.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 12:09 pm

Programs: United 1K/*G, HHonors Platinum
Speaking of Japan flights, my PlusPoints failed yesterday on my HND-LAX return flight on NH. This was the first failure on NH for me and I am not sure what the reason was. On the outbound LAX-NRT on an A fare purchased in September for an early November departure, the PlusPoints cleared within a few days. For the return, I remained waitlisted until T-24 and my calls to ANA were met with "still waitlisted, just wait". The equipment had gone from a 789 to an 788 two weeks ago and there were 3 J seats at T-24.
I checked in online to my Premium Economy seat at T-23 and decided to deal with the potential upgrade at the airport. I called in the morning and was told that my request was canceled. I could see the 40 PlusPoints re-deposited to my MP account. My guess is that by checking in, I forfeited any chance for an upgrade but I am not sure.
It is possible that I was down the list of upgrades but why would my request be canceled several hours ahead of flight time? So, in the future I will never check in online if I have a chance of an upgrade on an NH flight.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by selo
...I could see the 40 PlusPoints re-deposited to my MP account....
This is strange. PPs are not deducted from my account (even on NH flights) unless upgrade request is fulfilled. I had to make sure by looking back on my NH flights last week, but yes, PPs are not deducted unless upgraded.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 12:30 pm

Programs: United 1K/*G, HHonors Platinum
In my case, 80 were deducted upon request and I felt good about my chances, especially after the outbound was quickly upgraded. There were 3 seats available for purchase after my PlusPoint request was canceled, which was puzzling to me. At the airport, I was told there are their own ANA Club Members that were ahead of me, which is fine, but why cancel so many hours ahead of time? Oh well.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
This is strange. PPs are not deducted from my account (even on NH flights) unless upgrade request is fulfilled. I had to make sure by looking back on my NH flights last week, but yes, PPs are not deducted unless upgraded.
On my last flight to HND, I didn't request UG to P+ on an S-fare, only requesting UG to Polaris. Well, a few weeks before my flight, UA UG'd me to P+ and deducted 80 points. I remained in P+ because I never cleared the WL into J, and haven't gotten any refund of PPs yet.

Last edited by zombietooth; Nov 12, 2023 at 1:00 pm
Old Nov 12, 2023, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
This is strange. PPs are not deducted from my account (even on NH flights) unless upgrade request is fulfilled.
Incorrect. PlusPoints used for partner flights are dedicated immediately upon application. Thats because whereas UAs computers can be trusted not to upgrade you beyond the number of PlusPoints you have, their partners would have no way to know whether or not you still had points in your account or if theyd been deducted for use on some other flight.
SPN Lifer and uanj like this.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by jsloan
Incorrect. PlusPoints used for partner flights are dedicated immediately upon application. That’s because whereas UA’s computers can be trusted not to upgrade you beyond the number of PlusPoints you have, their partners would have no way to know whether or not you still had points in your account or if they’d been deducted for use on some other flight.
This is correct.

Otherwise it would be a mess if we request upgrades on many partner flights but don't have enough PP.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
Upgrade clearance is extremely seasonal.
Which season?

Originally Posted by Repooc17
​​​​​​Yep...and route specific.
which routes?

Originally Posted by mfirst
I know people have been complaining about lack of UG lately - and I wonder which flights they are taking to routinely get nothing (besides the high volume hub-hub)

I took LHR-EWR yesterday - everyone got upgraded and flight when out with 3 open Polaris ?
that is surprising. Biz travel must still be way down.

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
These conversations happen every single time around this year. November is when travel starts falling off a cliff as people start saving their pennies for holiday travel. On top of that the government funding cycle is super slow in their Q1 (generally, compared to their other quarters) which runs in calendar year Q4. So, airlines hunker down and get ready for the holiday travel season from late November through early January. Otherwise this would be the most abysmal time of year for them. February isn't much better.

Upgrades become a lot easier this time of year, period.

-RM
disagree. In past years, we found PP upgrades near impossible because everyone was using PP expiring Jan 31. Maybe this year will be better because its mostly leisure travelers who have been able to use PP all year long.

Originally Posted by zombietooth
Well, I certainly hope you're right. I'm only batting .500 on my Japan flights since August (and that includes a few UGs to UA's subpar P+) and I really would appreciate an increase in my upgrade rate.
id love to see 50% clearance on any route. Though I would not take the chance on TPAC - thats just too long to spend in a tiny economy seat.
Old Nov 12, 2023, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Which season?

which routes?
Off peak season. In the US, basically after Labor Day and before spring break with some exceptions (e.g. around Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's).

In terms of routing, not going to list all of them, but I will just use my own most frequently flown route - between EWR and SFO - there is not a prayer for me to clear during peak travel season, but I have cleared into J even on G fares during off peak, many times. Last week, an afternoon flight ex-EWR was 1/3 empty. Boarding was completed within 15-20 mins...lol
jsloan, SPN Lifer and uanj like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.