Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Old Jan 27, 2024, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

Old Sep 28, 2022, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Why are we discussing Spirit?
Upthread mraju99 referenced Spirit and its Big Front Seats as a possible option given the decimation of benefits, especially for 1Ks, and the worthlessness of PPs with so many folks exercising their credit cards with WFBF.

David
Old Sep 29, 2022, 4:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Spirit and UA don't belong in the same sentence. Everyone I know who tried Spirit will never fly them again. While legacy airlines take heat for cancellations and irrops they have always done better than ULCCs like Spirit, which if you are lucky will simply provide a prompt refund.

Yes, i get it. The big front seat is nice. But if I want that I will buy it on a real airline that has a track record of taking care of me and backup flights.

IMO there is no question that CPUs are rare and PPs are hard to use for many reasons, particularly from hubs. But that has nothing to do with Spirit.
Flying on Spirit is like going to Walmart after midnight; It's going to be unpleasant and your fellow pax will look like extras from the cantina scene on Tatooine in Star Wars.
JNelson113 and Kacee like this.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by zombietooth
Flying on Spirit is like going to Walmart after midnight; It's going to be unpleasant and your fellow pax will look like extras from the cantina scene on Tatooine in Star Wars.
This. Isn't just walking past their ticketing area or any boarding gate enough of a deterrent to flying Spirit ever?
Oh, and strong username to post content correlation!
zombietooth likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 6:57 am

Programs: UA GS 2.7MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Data point: all my PPs that were to expire 7/31/23 have now been used, and have even made a small dent in the ones earned this year!
seanp7, 8MiHi and jcturnbull like this.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Originally Posted by kdad
This. Isn't just walking past their ticketing area or any boarding gate enough of a deterrent to flying Spirit ever?
Oh, and strong username to post content correlation!
Oh please. I don't really see much of a difference between Spirit and United these days in economy.
Dyce likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Oh please. I don't really see much of a difference between Spirit and United these days in economy.
Well, I sure do. They have the most uncomfortable seats in the US.

Last edited by zombietooth; Sep 29, 2022 at 3:15 pm
Old Sep 29, 2022, 3:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Let's remember this is the United forum, and there is a separate forum for Spirit.
Back to UA and 1K benefits, please.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
seanp7 likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 4:14 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
How reliable are PlusPoints upgrades?

Unexpectedly made 1K for the first time this year so I have 320 PPs.

In thinking about flights for next year, I'm wondering whether to try to use PPs to qualify. I don't know if getting 1K again is likely but I usually get Gold, entirely fro international flights.

I've heard that PPs are about as probable as upgrading with miles and cash, which I've done a couple of times but most of the time I don't get. That was as a Gold flying out of SFO usually on TATL routes.

So a lot of GS and 1K members in SFO to compete against.

But I've heard that for short domestic flights like SFO-LAX, it's fairly reliable though sitting upfront on a short flight is not that great a prize.

Or some claims that if you purchase Premium Plus tickets, you jump ahead of virtually everyone looking to upgrade with coach tickets.

If you buy a premium economy ticket, can you use PPs to upgrade to business if one or both TATL segment is on a partner like LH or Swiss?

If you do get successfully upgraded to business, do you get the PQPs for a business ticket or just the economy or premium economy ticket? Same questions about the miles earned on upgraded flights, do you early based on the original fare class or the business class rate?

If the chances of upgrades are comparable to upgrading with miles and cash, it's better than nothing but sounds like you may be left with PPs that you can't use before expiration?

How common is it for 1K members to be unable to use their PPs?
Old Sep 29, 2022, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by frappant
...I've heard that PPs are about as probable as upgrading with miles and cash, which I've done a couple of times but most of the time I don't get....
Or some claims that if you purchase Premium Plus tickets, you jump ahead of virtually everyone looking to upgrade with coach tickets.....If you do get successfully upgraded to business, do you get the PQPs for a business ticket or just the economy or premium economy ticket? Same questions about the miles earned on upgraded flights, do you early based on the original fare class or the business class rate?...How common is it for 1K members to be unable to use their PPs?
PP upgrade requests are treated same as miles/cash. Your 1K status helps with priority.
PremPlus purchase puts you ahead of those requesting upgrades from economy, except for GS. Status counts agains other requesting upgrades from PremiumPlus.
PQPs are based on money you've paid to United for a fligfht. That doesn't change with PP upgrades.
Redemmable miles are based on what you've given to Unted times a status multiplier. Again, upgrades don't change that.
Ability to use upgrades is based on flexibility and appllication to flights UA doesn't sell all front cabin seats on and is not loaded with a bunch of GS (incl friends and families) or higher fare 1KS vying for upgrades.

Out TATL to/from SFO, success w/ PPs probably correlates with buying PremPlus fares and traveling on less popular days/times.
nexus7556 likes this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Sep 29, 2022 at 6:36 pm
Old Sep 29, 2022, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K
YMMV but I've had little luck of using PP mostly connecting through DEN this year. I'm one of those people that is applying them to pretty much all domestic flights.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 5:05 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by hsawaknow
YMMV but I've had little luck of using PP mostly connecting through DEN this year. I'm one of those people that is applying them to pretty much all domestic flights.
So do you end up with hundreds of PPs you couldn't use before they expire?
Old Sep 29, 2022, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
remember you can also use +Ps to upgrade on select partner airlines (LH, CM, NH). LH upgrades are actually reasonably easy ... mine clear 95% of the time.
geoshina likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 1:25 am

Yes but if you look through some of the other threads regarding upgrades/plus points, part of the problem is the huge amount of pluspoint float in existence due to extension of status/point expiration dates, coupled with lower 1K qualifying thresholds than originally planned when the program was being rolled out, and significantly higher demand from people purchasing business outright (especially this past summer). Anecdotally I've been seeing/hearing of people having slightly more success recently (though still not great). In early September I personally saw TATL flights sitting at PZ5-7 about a week prior to departure, so anyone would have cleared instantly on those. There seems to be two camps on the issue, one feeling that the program is all doom and gloom, that United doesn't give out PlusPoints upgrades in advance at all, you'll be lucky if you get it at boarding at the gate and it was just a way to get people to buy higher fare classes and the others acknowledging part of the problem is the amount that are currently out there/hopeful that the situation will improve once a large number are either used or expire. On that front, I think in the drinks w/ UA leaders thread someone mentioned talking to a MP exec who said PlusPoints expirations won't be extended further, but until they either do or do not implement that, no one really knows.

Like all upgrades - your chances when using PlusPoints are going to depend on the specific route your flying and time of day/week/year (peak vs off peak). Regardless, unless it is available to confirm at booking, you should plan on flying in/being comfortable with whatever cabin you end up purchasing as that is the only thing you will be guaranteed.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Yes but if you look through some of the other threads regarding upgrades/plus points, part of the problem is the huge amount of pluspoint float in existence due to extension of status/point expiration dates, coupled with lower 1K qualifying thresholds than originally planned when the program was being rolled out, and significantly higher demand from people purchasing business outright (especially this past summer). Anecdotally I've been seeing/hearing of people having slightly more success recently (though still not great). In early September I personally saw TATL flights sitting at PZ5-7 about a week prior to departure, so anyone would have cleared instantly on those. There seems to be two camps on the issue, one feeling that the program is all doom and gloom, that United doesn't give out PlusPoints upgrades in advance at all, you'll be lucky if you get it at boarding at the gate and it was just a way to get people to buy higher fare classes and the others acknowledging part of the problem is the amount that are currently out there/hopeful that the situation will improve once a large number are either used or expire. On that front, I think in the drinks w/ UA leaders thread someone mentioned talking to a MP exec who said PlusPoints expirations won't be extended further, but until they either do or do not implement that, no one really knows.

Like all upgrades - your chances when using PlusPoints are going to depend on the specific route your flying and time of day/week/year (peak vs off peak). Regardless, unless it is available to confirm at booking, you should plan on flying in/being comfortable with whatever cabin you end up purchasing as that is the only thing you will be guaranteed.
For example, this thread: The way of the Dodo? - 1K upgrades, PP or CPU

The number of flights that are PZ > 0 well in advance is definitely dwindling. That's been a pretty constant theme for the past several years, and while I was able to find TATL PZ space this summer, it took even more searching than I'm used to doing.

But I'm also extremely flexible. OP: if you're focused on a particular nonstop route and/or a particular set of dates, you're likely to be disappointed, especially from SFO. If you're willing to let UA dictate your travel plans, in terms of traveling at less desirable times, adding stops, etc., you may find them useful. If not, you're likely to end up throwing them at every flight and never clearing.

And, yes, (a) buying PE improves your priority, but you should still expect to sit in PE, especially TATL from SFO; and (b) you can upgrade on LH (not LX) with PlusPoints, but not on their cheapest fares -- and that includes their cheapest PE and cheapest J fares. And while I don't doubt cfischer's word about a 95% upgrade clearance rate on LH, I wonder how many of those are D->F upgrades. Most people aren't buying D fares (mid-tier business class).
Old Sep 30, 2022, 5:54 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I was all excited for my first time 1K status, which I achieved back in June, and since then, I’m 3/12 on upgrades, and all 3 were day of departure. I was looking forward to having some earlier confirmed upgrades, but not the case. I was number 2 with 0/12 booked on Monday and didn’t get the upgrade until the night before. Same with my flight tomorrow, #1, 9/20 booked and still no upgrade.

0/2 with PP this year.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.