Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Temporarily Grounds Boeing 772 (PW Power); returning to service: late May 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Temporarily Grounds Boeing 772 (PW Power); returning to service: late May 2022

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2021, 10:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by legalalien
Not until next year, according to a recent WSJ article: https://www.wsj.com/articles/united-...test_headlines.

Subscription may be required to read the full article, but the gist is that Boeing is working on the engine cover modifications, while UA and P&W are developing new testing procedures that can be performed at many maintenance stations, as opposed to the P&W facilities. Exact criteria for the return to service have not yet been decided by the FAA.

I have been searching flights over Christmas and it appears there are some PW high density configs for 772 on transcons......but perhaps this will change....next year is full of them in the schedule.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by isaacchambers
I have been searching flights over Christmas and it appears there are some PW high density configs for 772 on transcons......but perhaps this will change....next year is full of them in the schedule.
They won't be flying over Christmas - and schedule changes for next year haven't been loaded.
Old Sep 4, 2021, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tuolumne
I do have to wonder if this unilateral decision to ban all PW 777s for this length of time, or at all, would have taken place in an environment where Covid wasn't occurring - Even in a post 737-Max world.

Imagine the amount of overnight capacity reduction, and associated cancellations across the system in a UA circa 2019 were this to occur. I'm candidly sure what the least-messy contingency plan would be here. And I certainly would expect a different tenor and tone from the company to the FAA behind closed doors and in public.
I don't have to wonder or imagine. I don't think the airline or pilots want to fly unsafe aircraft. Not only do the pilots want to arrive alive as much as the passengers do, I don't think the airline management wants the risk to very expensive capital assets or (worse( the liability risk from operating a ticking time bomb. Cheaping out on food or amenities as Kirby has done don't pose these risks. United isn't Lion Air. A capacity reduction like this in a pre-pandemic world would have resulted in higher ticket prices -- simple supply and demand.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 7:24 am
DEN

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
HNL-GUM (UA200-201) Aircraft Change

Resurrecting old thread….

Looks like for the last few weeks and a few weeks in the future, HNL-GUM & Return (200-201) has been switched to a 777-300ER with 1-2-1 seating. Normally this is the 777-200 with the old 2-4-2 seating.

While I haven’t searched out very far, my trip in January still shows the -200 with 2-4-2.

Anyone know if a permanent change to the -300 is in the works for this route?

DEN

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 27, 2021 at 10:16 am Reason: Moved to 772 PW thread
Old Sep 27, 2021, 7:40 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by DEN
Resurrecting old thread….

Looks like for the last few weeks and a few weeks in the future, HNL-GUM & Return (200-201) has been switched to a 777-300ER with 1-2-1 seating. Normally this is the 777-200 with the old 2-4-2 seating.

While I haven’t searched out very far, my trip in January still shows the -200 with 2-4-2.

Anyone know if a permanent change to the -300 is in the works for this route?

DEN
The problem with PW engine has grounded all B772s with the old 2-4-2 seating in Business. The schedule in January has not been updated yet. Just wait for a few more weeks. It is very likely that B773 will keep flying this route in January.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any news on the state of repairs on those PW engines and if/when the first units might be back in service?
Old Oct 6, 2021, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Any news on the state of repairs on those PW engines and if/when the first units might be back in service?
Best as I can tell the FAA was still reviewing the fix as of a month ago.

I hope they do not come back. I've quite enjoyed my GE powered 777's.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 11:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer

As INTL comes back the alternate will be 737s. So I very much want the PW 777s back. Preferably with at least one additional row of lie flat and 3 rows of PP.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM

oh boy.. who cares? the planes have been operating safely for > 20 years. As long as the interiors are outfitted properly.. then they're great.
United747 likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by entropy
oh boy.. who cares? the planes have been operating safely for > 20 years. As long as the interiors are outfitted properly.. then they're great.
I care - I much prefer the GE powered Polaris seating to/from Hawaii versus the Hawaii configured P&W planes in a 2-4-2 in First.

This has nothing to do with safety.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
At least some type of update of the PW 777s from Scott Kirby

Old Oct 6, 2021, 9:53 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
I care - I much prefer the GE powered Polaris seating to/from Hawaii versus the Hawaii configured P&W planes in a 2-4-2 in First.

This has nothing to do with safety.
Yeah, the domestic config really can stay out and I’d be happy. But can you really tell the difference between the int’l configs on the GE and PW planes? Being ORD based, I’ve ridden more than my fare share of the PW planes and they’ve been good.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by United747
Yeah, the domestic config really can stay out and I’d be happy. But can you really tell the difference between the int’l configs on the GE and PW planes? Being ORD based, I’ve ridden more than my fare share of the PW planes and they’ve been good.
The only difference between the GE and PW Polaris planes is that the former do not have air vents whereas the latter do.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by dkc192
The only difference between the GE and PW Polaris planes is that the former do not have air vents whereas the latter do.
so in other words PW are better
Kmxu likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Looks like things are moving along: https://airlineweekly.com/2021/10/un...of-faa-action/

"The Chicago-based carrier, in collaboration with Boeing, has begin modifications to the aft bulkhead of the inlet cowl, United Senior Vice President of Flight Operations Bryan Quigley told pilots in an internal newsletter on October 6. In an unusual move, the work is being done ahead of an U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) airworthiness directive, posing some risk of the final mandate not matching the the work undertaken by United."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.