Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Temporarily Grounds Boeing 772 (PW Power); returning to service: late May 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Temporarily Grounds Boeing 772 (PW Power); returning to service: late May 2022

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2021, 8:09 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Cluckr7
I have a newbie question:

We are flying IAH to HNL in September, in first.

Originally when we booked first was the 2-4-2 configuration. I think, but am not sure, now it’s been changed to Polaris 1-2-1.

How do you tell if the plane has GE or PW? Is there another website that has these details, or do you just know because you can mentally map the seat configuration to specific plane types?

Also, any insights on whether the configuration might change again? We are flying as a family with kids so having the middles is required for us on the Polaris setup, but we’d prefer the window pair of seats on the old setup.
Check wiki of this thread: United Airlines Fleet Updates [2021 Edition]

It is just too early to know which aircraft will be assigned to your flight (until T-3 days). Just assume that your seats will be 1-2-1 Polaris, especially that your flight has PE seats for sale.
Good luck.
Old May 16, 2021, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist

How do you tell if the plane has GE or PW? Is there another website that has these details, or do you just know because you can mentally map the seat configuration to specific plane types?

Also, any insights on whether the configuration might change again? We are flying as a family with kids so having the middles is required for us on the Polaris setup, but we’d prefer the window pair of seats on the old setup.
If it is 2-4-2, for sure it is PW, 1-2-1 could be PW or GE.

No insight if the configuration would be change again, all depends how fast UA is going to fix the PW 772, this is only May, and you are not going to travel 4 months later, anything can change, if you are flying in the next month or two, then for sure it would still be 1-2-1
Old May 17, 2021, 6:16 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
If it is 2-4-2, for sure it is PW, 1-2-1 could be PW or GE.

No insight if the configuration would be change again, all depends how fast UA is going to fix the PW 772,
I look at the September schedule for IAH-HNL. UA is selling Premium Plus for this route, which means that UA very likely uses a Polarized B777.. Therefore, the chance for switching back to 2-4-2 PW high-density B777 is less than 50-50 unless the travel is back to pre-COVID era in September and UA may need more Polarized B777 for international routes,
Old May 17, 2021, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I expect the non-ER 777s will be the last ones to receive the engine mods. All ERs (except 3 IPTE, out of service) have Polaris interiors so I would anticipate a September trip to stick with the new seats.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 9:09 pm

I have a newbie question:

We are flying IAH to HNL in September, in first.

Originally when we booked first was the 2-4-2 configuration. I think, but am not sure, now it’s been changed to Polaris 1-2-1.

How do you tell if the plane has GE or PW? Is there another website that has these details, or do you just know because you can mentally map the seat configuration to specific plane types?Also, any insights on whether the configuration might change again? We are flying as a family with kids so having the middles is required for us on the Polaris setup, but we’d prefer the window pair of seats on the old setup.
The 2-4-2 configuration shows up in the schedule on October 31 for various 777-200 flights to HNL. I guess that United wanted to give a a good Halloween scare with that 2-4-2 configuration. I just hope the change is not sooner.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 10:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BF263533
The 2-4-2 configuration shows up in the schedule on October 31 for various 777-200 flights to HNL. ....
Don't read to much into that. UA does not yet know if the 772PWs will be back or not -- we are talking nearly 5 months out. I would not place any bets either way yet or place any significant on the date.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
N796UA is currently in route to HNL then to GUM tomorrow. XMN for maintenance possibly or a cargo run?
Old Jun 24, 2021, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by N104UA
N796UA is currently in route to HNL then to GUM tomorrow. XMN for maintenance possibly or a cargo run?
Isn't N796UA one of the grounded PW models? Is it possible maintenance for the Boeing/PW engine issue (as in they might have a solution).

*if its not one of the grounded 772's... nevermind.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Isn't N796UA one of the grounded PW models? Is it possible maintenance for the Boeing/PW engine issue (as in they might have a solution).

*if its not one of the grounded 772's... nevermind.
It is/was one of the grounded ones, that is what sparked my interest, it is interesting that it is doing HNL as one of its first flights.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Any update on the 772 with PW engines will be retired or resume services when international routes start to resume? I read a post on Airliners.net saying UA plans to retire all 52 of them. Not sure that is credible information.

29 out of the 52 772s are already fitted with Polaris and Premium economy seats. That is a lot of investments to be scrapped. I like the 772s, and hope to fly them internationally when the traffic is back to normal.
nnn likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
I would speculate that even if UA does decide to retire them, they will probably have to bring some of them back until they can get a replacement for them. 55 (about 65%) of their second to largest aircraft is a lot of inventory to loose. With an unknown amount of international travel resuming at an unknown point in the future, turning returning and new passengers away to other airlines is very very risky for their long term health, especially given UAs mediocre reputation.
Old Jun 24, 2021, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K
It’s believed that United will be announcing a large aircraft order on Tuesday. There’s speculation that the order will include 20 787-10s. That would be the right amount to replace the 20 domestic 777s where other fan blade cracks have been found. Further speculation is that the PW 777ERs, that have Polaris/PP, will return after the engine modification plan is finalized and installation completed.

Let’s see what Tuesday brings.
phkc070408 likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by BF263533
The 2-4-2 configuration shows up in the schedule on October 31 for various 777-200 flights to HNL. I guess that United wanted to give a a good Halloween scare with that 2-4-2 configuration. I just hope the change is not sooner.
You prefer a 737 over lie flats on the 2-4-2?
Old Jun 25, 2021, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by PacificClipper
It’s believed that United will be announcing a large aircraft order on Tuesday. There’s speculation that the order will include 20 787-10s. That would be the right amount to replace the 20 domestic 777s where other fan blade cracks have been found. Further speculation is that the PW 777ERs, that have Polaris/PP, will return after the engine modification plan is finalized and installation completed.

Let’s see what Tuesday brings.
I agree with this, however I don't think that the PW issue is the sole cause as to why the 78X order is being placed. When these 78Xs start getting delivered the PW 777s will be between 25 and 30 years old, even if the PW issue didn't occur UA would need to replace these aircraft.

It is my understanding that UA is going to repair as many of the PW engines that they can (ER and non-ER) and fly them until they have replacements. UA will also shortly need even more aircraft for widebody replacement, out of the 74 772s UA has only 10 are under 20 years old (with only 4 under 15 years old). This leads me to think that UA will take the A350s, which I have been skeptical of for a long time.
UA_Flyer likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2021, 5:33 pm

Some of the PW fleet are in or heading to heavy checks in XMN, I seriously doubt UA would invest the cost of that check if they planned to retire them. Not saying that some of them won't be retired, just not all of them.
UA_Flyer and N104UA like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.