Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Temporarily Grounds Boeing 772 (PW Power); returning to service: late May 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Temporarily Grounds Boeing 772 (PW Power); returning to service: late May 2022

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2021, 4:35 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by legalalien
" In an unusual move, the work is being done ahead of an U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) airworthiness directive, posing some risk of the final mandate not matching the the work undertaken by United."
That seems like a bit of a risky move by UA. Since when are UA so gutsy?
Old Oct 13, 2021, 4:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by narvik
That seems like a bit of a risky move by UA. Since when are UA so gutsy?
I'm betting that Boeing already has an informal go-ahead from the FAA on the modification, and UA wants to get the aircraft back into service ASAP.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 6:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by halls120
I'm betting that Boeing already has an informal go-ahead from the FAA on the modification, and UA wants to get the aircraft back into service ASAP.
50+ wide bodies will be crucial to address the pent up demand coming out of COVID-19. Smart move to proactively prepare for it
Old Oct 13, 2021, 7:16 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by halls120
Rumor is April.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Rumor is April.
Given todays announcements of new and reestablished routes UA must be fairly confident that those PW planes will be back by spring.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 9:58 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Aviation Week -- Boeing Proposes Phase-In Of 777 Nacelle Modifications
Boeing is developing a series of nacelle improvements for grounded Pratt & Whitney PW4000-powered 777s and wants FAA’s blessing to phase them in as they are finalized, instead of delivering a complete, compliant nacelle structure as required by the agency’s certification rules.

The agency has formally acknowledged receipt of the petition and plans to publish it on Oct. 14. The public will have 20 days to comment.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 14, 2021 at 10:37 am Reason: repaired quote
Old Dec 22, 2021, 2:28 am

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Domestic 777s are back to Hawaii in March

The domestic 777s seem to be back on the schedule in March for the HNL-SFO flights I was looking at
it was nice to have the Polaris planes while it lasted 😪
Old Dec 22, 2021, 5:56 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by cbrown5294
The domestic 777s seem to be back on the schedule in March for the HNL-SFO flights I was looking at
it was nice to have the Polaris planes while it lasted 😪
The schedule is probably just a placeholder for March. United only finalize the schedule 6-8 weeks in advance.
We will see!
Old Dec 22, 2021, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cbrown5294
The domestic 777s seem to be back on the schedule in March for the HNL-SFO flights...
UA never removed them from the March schedule, so they really didn't go anywhere to be "back" from. What you're seeing is the a/c originally scheduled 11 months prior. As UA firms a/c for next couple of months (and it is certain the 772PW aren't going to fly), there might be a change.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
UA never removed them from the March schedule, so they really didn't go anywhere to be "back" from. What you're seeing is the a/c originally scheduled 11 months prior. As UA firms a/c for next couple of months (and it is certain the 772PW aren't going to fly), there might be a change.
yup.

saw this on a EWR-SFO in March, but hadn’t seen any indication that these birds would be flying again by then (is it possible they might not fly again at all?).

I assumed it’s still that placeholder schedule and will be updated at some point.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 10:32 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by emcampbe
yup.

saw this on a EWR-SFO in March, but hadn’t seen any indication that these birds would be flying again by then (is it possible they might not fly again at all?).

I assumed it’s still that placeholder schedule and will be updated at some point.
Old info but I think UA is targeting April for the PW 772s. Obviously much has to happen with Boeing and the FAA beforehand.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by emcampbe
(is it possible they might not fly again at all?)
Anything is possible, but every single indication I've seen is United intends to return all PW 777s to service (including and especially the high-density birds) as soon as the FAA approves a fix and the work is completed.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Crap, I knew I should have followed thru with a fam trip to HI in Feb/March, instead of going to FL again! There goes the hard product.....
Old Dec 22, 2021, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy silver
Send the HD 777 on hub to hub and west coast to Hawaii

Still think they are terrible on long haul Hawaii since the 2 premium cabins are selling fine now. Don't need to drop from 70+ premium seats to 28. This coming from someone who PREFERS the IPTE seat to the Polaris seat (found the IPTE easier to sleep in as I am a side sleeper and the footwell makes it hard to turn over)
Old Dec 22, 2021, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Unitedloyalflyer
Send the HD 777 on hub to hub and west coast to Hawaii

Still think they are terrible on long haul Hawaii since the 2 premium cabins are selling fine now. Don't need to drop from 70+ premium seats to 28. This coming from someone who PREFERS the IPTE seat to the Polaris seat (found the IPTE easier to sleep in as I am a side sleeper and the footwell makes it hard to turn over)
I sometimes see over 30+ upgrades and going out with empty F seats from LAX and SFO to HNL and vice versa. A short term bump for the holidays but this is hardly a route that sells well in F on polarized planes.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.