Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Temporarily Grounds Boeing 772 (PW Power); returning to service: late May 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Temporarily Grounds Boeing 772 (PW Power); returning to service: late May 2022

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2021, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy silver
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I sometimes see over 30+ upgrades and going out with empty F seats from LAX and SFO to HNL and vice versa. A short term bump for the holidays but this is hardly a route that sells well in F on polarized planes.
West Coast to Hawaii does not seem to have the same premium demand that long haul does. 28 premium seats for SFO/HNL (or OGG) LAX/HNL should be fine
Old Dec 22, 2021, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Another step closer...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/faa-see...ce-11640214804

Reportedly, the FAA is satisfied with a modification regime and inspection protocol developed by United, Boeing and Pratt & Whitney, and has proposed several airworthiness directives (ADs) that, once approved and implemented, should allow the fleet to return to service.

Originally Posted by Unitedloyalflyer
West Coast to Hawaii does not seem to have the same premium demand that long haul does. 28 premium seats for SFO/HNL (or OGG) LAX/HNL should be fine
At minimum, I really hope United adds PE to the domestic 777 fleet.
SPN Lifer and trust77 like this.
Old Dec 23, 2021, 5:29 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/faa-i...164228570.html

The most relevant information is copied below.

The FAA issued three proposed airworthiness directives, a move that will allow Boeing 777-200 airplanes equipped with PW4000 engines to return to service as soon as early 2022.

The FAA said it was calling for strengthening engine cowlings, enhanced engine fan-blade inspection and inspection of other systems and components. The directives will require corrective action based on inspection results.

United said the proposed directives "are a good outcome for our industry and United customers." It added "many of the affected engines have already undergone these proposed inspections. We expect these aircraft to safely rejoin our fleet early next year."
Old Dec 23, 2021, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy silver
Originally Posted by EWR764

At minimum, I really hope United adds PE to the domestic 777 fleet.
Go with 32 POLARIS and 40 PP seats (maybe increase the pitch even to 40-42 inch and give standard domestic F service) to keep 70+ premium cabin seats for the long haul HI flights. That should be a good premium seat count and economy density for long haul Hawaii
SPN Lifer, trust77 and EWR764 like this.
Old Dec 24, 2021, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by Kmxu
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/faa-i...164228570.html

United said the proposed directives "are a good outcome for our industry and United customers." It added "many of the affected engines have already undergone these proposed inspections. We expect these aircraft to safely rejoin our fleet early next year."

What customer is United speaking about? What customer has enjoyed the domestic configured 772 in the main cabin, or even in the premium cabin!? United on many levels is so out of touch with their entire customer base it is often disappointing.

Originally Posted by Unitedloyalflyer
Go with 32 POLARIS and 40 PP seats (maybe increase the pitch even to 40-42 inch and give standard domestic F service) to keep 70+ premium cabin seats for the long haul HI flights. That should be a good premium seat count and economy density for long haul Hawaii
I started adding this to my commentaries in the surveys for my flights between GUM and HNL as of late. This is a fair compromise. I hope United is exploring this option. Customers between GUM and HNL are already paying premium economy equivalent fares for main cabin seats.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2021, 5:46 am
DEN

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by trust77
What customer is United speaking about? What customer has enjoyed the domestic configured 772 in the main cabin, or even in the premium cabin!? United on many levels is so out of touch with their entire customer base it is often disappointing.

I started adding this to my commentaries in the surveys for my flights between GUM and HNL as of late. This is a fair compromise. I hope United is exploring this option. Customers between GUM and HNL are already paying premium economy equivalent fares for main cabin seats.
Hawaii is a highly competitive leisure route and United will move to the most economical wide body they can use until competition forces them to move to Polaris equipped planes. This means United will likely be last to upgrade service on this route.

HNL-GUM will surely be the same aircraft used for Hawaii service to properly utilize available aircraft in HNL and since the GUM route is non competitive, there is no reason for United to offer anything else.

DEN
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Any insight when the Pratt-powered 772s are coming back to Hawaii routes? I have a high density 772 SFO-HNL flight end March that I hope converts to Polaris…
Old Jan 11, 2022, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Originally Posted by djmp
Any insight when the Pratt-powered 772s are coming back to Hawaii routes? I have a high density 772 SFO-HNL flight end March that I hope converts to Polaris…
hopefully never... lol. 2-4-2 in J? no thanks! spent too much time in that config IAD-DXB back in the day. PTSD!
Old Jan 11, 2022, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by avi8tir
hopefully never... lol. 2-4-2 in J? no thanks! spent too much time in that config IAD-DXB back in the day. PTSD!
In my opinion those seats are far more comfortable than the 777-200 or -300 Polaris pods for sleeping. You can't beat the privacy in those - but for sleeping, it is a tight fit. I don't mind the roomier 2-4-2 seats at all.

I don't want them back for other reasons - namely a huge reduction in F seats.
StuMcIlwain and AirbusFan2B like this.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
In my opinion those seats are far more comfortable than the 777-200 or -300 Polaris pods for sleeping. You can't beat the privacy in those - but for sleeping, it is a tight fit. I don't mind the roomier 2-4-2 seats at all.

I think that view ("far more comfortable for sleeping") qualifies as a considerable outlier. The IPTE 777 seat has few redeeming qualities and I, for one, will not be upset to see it go.

IMO the 777 Polaris seats are the best. 787s are a touch narrow, 767 a bit short. 777 are "just right" for me .
Old Jan 11, 2022, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by EWR764
I think that view ("far more comfortable for sleeping") qualifies as a considerable outlier. The IPTE 777 seat has few redeeming qualities and I, for one, will not be upset to see it go.
Me either. I've gotten whacked in the head by Hemispheres more than enough in those rear-facing IPTEs. They can't disappear quick enough.
trust77, wxguy and bluedemon211 like this.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 4:41 pm

They need to go because not all seats have direct aisle access, now uncompetitive. They are a true 6’6” without being pencil shaped in the footwell (the legacy Continental flatbeds are pencil shaped except in bulkhead.) So HNLbasedFlyer is right to cite the sleeping comfort for those of us that are 6’3” or whatnot. Polaris beds come close if not fully to 6’6” and only moderately pencil shaped in the footwell. UA has landed on a good hard product with Polaris.
trust77 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
They need to go because not all seats have direct aisle access, now uncompetitive....
On HI routes it is heavily used on, it is normally competitive w/ exception against AA out of DFW (compared to an 772HD out of IAH) or out of ORD. It isn't normally used to Europe or SA, so that's not what it's competing against. That being said, I wouldn't mind if they go away. UA, w/ it's 772HDs, 752s , and a few other a/c were, by far, providing the most lie-flats to Hawaii. The 772s provided most of them. I don't know what the average count is among carriers, but I bet if one is on a lie-flat to Hawaii, there's probably a 70% chance you're on a UA plane. Loss of the 772s would probably knock back the number of UA lie-flats to Hawaii once int'l travel picks up again and the Polaris-equipped planes are put back on higher revenue routes..

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jan 11, 2022 at 5:02 pm
Old Jan 11, 2022, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
On HI routes it is heavily used on, it is normally competitive w/ exception against AA out of DFW (compared to an 772HD out of IAH) or out of ORD. It isn't normally used to Europe or SA, so that's not what it's competing against. That being said, I wouldn't mind if they go away. UA, w/ it's 772HDs, 752s , and a few other a/c were, by far, providing the most lie-flats to Hawaii. The 772s provided most of them. I don't know what the average count is among carriers, but I bet if one is on a lie-flat to Hawaii, there's probably a 70% chance you're on a UA plane. Loss of the 772s would probably knock back the number of UA lie-flats to Hawaii once int'l travel picks up again and the Polaris-equipped planes are put back on higher revenue routes..
Are the HA A332 lie-flats superior to the 772HD? I wouldn’t know, haven’t flown on them.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Totally agree on the privacy and competitive comments raised, but just want to give a shout to the rearing sitting experience in the IPTF cabin which has been truly enjoyable and I have slept like a baby in those rear seats over the years.
SFO 1K likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.