Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Temporarily Grounds Boeing 772 (PW Power); returning to service: late May 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Temporarily Grounds Boeing 772 (PW Power); returning to service: late May 2022

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2022, 10:05 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
And the flights that just switched 772G to 77W will tend to have lots of discounted front cabin inventory due to the added 32 seats . . . saving nearly $300 by changing to one of these flights!
Depending on the day of the week they often clear the entire upgrade list.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Depending on the day of the week they often clear the entire upgrade list.
Yeah, mid-week is 1K CPU heaven on the current 767s/777s and often for others deep into the waitlist. I'm not looking forward to the return of the sardine can.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 10:47 am

This is a few months earlier than your flight, but in early November 2021 I booked HNL-SFO in a HD 772 late May 2022. Today it was just upgauged to a 77W and offering (Z) space for $350 upgrade from (K), which seemed like a no-brainer to me. .

Edit: Looks like the thread I posted in merged into this one. Had previously selected 48 A & B in the HD 772 as P2 and I would prefer no middle seat over extra legroom. With change to 77W, we always try to nab PP sold as E+ as we do for SFO transcons. Only bulkhead PP was available for $189 ea, compared to First for $350. Although First is wide open right now - six seats occupied - not sure of our chances for a CPU as we are both only Premier Silver and the flight is on a Sunday. Will be curious to see how the cabin fills to see if we would've cleared or not.

Last edited by jdr918; Mar 5, 2022 at 12:21 pm
Old Mar 5, 2022, 11:29 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Thanks everyone for the heads up. My April flight switched to a 777-300 and I was able to grab my preferred seat.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 11:30 am

Programs: Free Agent, Any Status is Accidental
Interesting, all the SFO-HNL flights I was looking at on the HD 772's in March-April-May just a couple of days ago have been mostly switched to 777-300ERs, with the HD 772 not reappearing on the schedule until sometime in the June timeframe. Does anyone know if there has been a delay in reintroducing these birds back into the fleet? My impression from reading this thread (? or somewhere else?) was that they are cleared to fly and should be in the air by now.. has there been a delay in the clearance, or just lack of demand/need to bring them back in right now?

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Yeah, mid-week is 1K CPU heaven on the current 767s/777s and often for others deep into the waitlist. I'm not looking forward to the return of the sardine can.
Indeed some of these flights seem to have 20+ day-of-departure upgrades, which is great for us, but which I presume will unfortunately be the exact reason UA will want to get the 772 HD's back to optimize profit as it seems to indicate a lack of F purchase demand. I will admit this can vary greatly around weekend / holiday days, however.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 5, 2022 at 11:51 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 6, 2022, 7:39 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by UAalltheway
Does anyone know if there has been a delay in reintroducing these birds back into the fleet? My impression from reading this thread (? or somewhere else?) was that they are cleared to fly and should be in the air by now.. has there been a delay in the clearance, or just lack of demand/need to bring them back in right now?
My understanding is that the procedure to inspect and retrofit the engines has been cleared, not the actual airplanes with said engines on them.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 8:03 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
Watching my April DEN-OGG like a hawk and it’s still HD
that flight changed to a Polaris config overnight 👍🏻
Old Mar 6, 2022, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
YES!!! My April 4 SFO-HNL was swapped to 777-300 from P&W

April 12 HNL-LAX also switched from P&W to 777-300 as well as April 20 SFO-HNL
I know what you meant, however the P&W fleet includes many with Polaris and PP. i want them back asap
Old Mar 6, 2022, 8:56 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
I know what you meant, however the P&W fleet includes many with Polaris and PP. i want them back asap
If they were to focus on returning the non-HD aircraft to service, fine.

It's unfortunate UA has not taken advantage of the downtime to upgrade the cabins on those aircraft. The continued existence of the HD configuration is a testament to where this airline is heading.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's unfortunate UA has not taken advantage of the downtime to upgrade the cabins on those aircraft. The continued existence of the HD configuration is a testament to where this airline is heading.
The worst thing about those a/c is lack of PremiumPlus and no upgrade means a seat in 10-across in back. If I was to lose out on an upgrade on the HD, I'd rather be in back on any of UA's mainline narrow bodies.
JimInOhio likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unfortunate indeed, although I suppose might the logistics of getting them to XMN during the grounding have been a little more complicated? Doable I think, but maybe that's part of the calculus, even if there also still exists a "cram aboard as many seats as possible" inclination.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 10:48 am

Programs: UA MM

Don't the HD 772s not have sufficient range to make Polaris truly worthwhile from a return on investment standpoint?
rch4u likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 10:56 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Don't the HD 772s not have sufficient range to make Polaris truly worthwhile from a return on investment standpoint?
Well - if they could fly those planes from ORD to HNL - they'd certainly make it to LHR or even CDG, which are shorter distances. Or, deploy them from EWR or IAD and they could fly anywhere in Europe.
SPN Lifer, rch4u and Kacee like this.
Old Mar 6, 2022, 11:20 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Well - if they could fly those planes from ORD to HNL - they'd certainly make it to LHR or even CDG, which are shorter distances. Or, deploy them from EWR or IAD and they could fly anywhere in Europe.
Plus they were in heavy use on the premium t-cons. A worst-in-class (by far) product on those routes.

I agree with comments upthread that the old IPTE seat is extremely comfortable, but the eight across layout is a nonstarter these days, especially for a solo traveler. Plus the particular configuration of the F cabin on this aircraft means there are only a handful of seats that do not have serious drawbacks due to galley or lav proximity.
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
The worst thing about those a/c is lack of PremiumPlus and no upgrade means a seat in 10-across in back. If I was to lose out on an upgrade on the HD, I'd rather be in back on any of UA's mainline narrow bodies.
Yeah it's not a bad upgrade class, but I would pretty much never risk that for the reasons you describe. For paid J, I'd only consider it at deepest discount P fare, and even then, would only choose it if there were no better alternative on another carrier.

Last edited by Kacee; Mar 6, 2022 at 11:33 am
Old Mar 6, 2022, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... the old IPTE seat is extremely comfortable, but the eight across layout is a nonstarter these days, especially for a solo traveler. Plus the particular configuration of the F cabin on this aircraft means there are only a handful of seats that do not have serious drawbacks due to galley or lav proximity.
The seat between the armrests is fine, but the armrests are extremely narrow (for a F cabin), which allows the sardine-pack of the cabin. The 8-across is really what bothers me, too. My guess is they will return to mainly the Hawaii market.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.