Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Temporarily Grounds Boeing 772 (PW Power); returning to service: late May 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Temporarily Grounds Boeing 772 (PW Power); returning to service: late May 2022

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2021, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
…It looks like the on the PW 772 is going to take a long time and/or UA is retiring some of these birds.
I’m traveling from London to Honolulu December 30th. While not particularly fond of the F sardine can, I can sleep in it. Now I’m stuck on a 753. Was able to nab 1A. No other lie-flats I can connect to.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Besides UA, what other airlines are hoping this gets a fix? I think I’ve read that most P/W 772 operators have decided to retire the aircraft rather than wait for a fix. Seems like a fix would be expensive for an engine in so few aircraft.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Besides UA, what other airlines are hoping this gets a fix? I think I’ve read that most P/W 772 operators have decided to retire the aircraft rather than wait for a fix. Seems like a fix would be expensive for an engine in so few aircraft.
https://www.flightradar24.com/blog/t...here-they-are/

According to this blog post from February, you've got Asiana, Korean Air, and Jin Air from South Korea and Japan Airlines and ANA from Japan. IIRC JAL and ANA said they were retiring theirs for good and the South Korean fleet isn't too large. The combined OZ/KE will have newer aircraft to replace them if that's what they end up doing. UA appears to have the largest exposure. Is this impacting 764's returning? I think I saw one scheduled for EWR-SFO
Old Jul 6, 2021, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
772HDs look like they’re gone from SFO/HNL on a couple of dates I checked in December. Now 753s.
yup, and they took them off of SFO-OGG in the fall - I think they were scheduled for a couple of months from roughly mid-Oct. to mid-Dec. I was looking for early-mid Nov, and finally, a couple of weeks ago, they gave it the boot and replaced it with [another] 738 - so now SFO-OGG in the fall (of course, when we’re going) is now all showing 738. That also drove up the cost of the earlier morning westbound flight and early afternoon eastbound, which is our preferred times. Hoping there’s still time to amend the schedule with a widebody at some point, but we’ll see - I seem to always remember at least one on this route a widebody.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
I’m traveling from London to Honolulu December 30th. While not particularly fond of the F sardine can, I can sleep in it. Now I’m stuck on a 753. Was able to nab 1A. No other lie-flats I can connect to.
Possible there's another schedule/aircraft change or two between now and December.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 3:56 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
I had booked a December 13 trip from KOA-ORD. It looks like they are resuming the non-stop Summer service for the December holiday period, which is great news if it sticks! That said, when we booked it it was 772HD service. A few days later it became 788 service like the Summer service. It looks like the retrofit on the PW 772 is going to take a long time and/or UA is retiring some of these birds.
Somewhere I read the PW 772 fix won’t happen until next year, if then.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 6:45 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by emcampbe
yup, and they took them off of SFO-OGG in the fall - I think they were scheduled for a couple of months from roughly mid-Oct. to mid-Dec. I was looking for early-mid Nov, and finally, a couple of weeks ago, they gave it the boot and replaced it with [another] 738 - so now SFO-OGG in the fall (of course, when we’re going) is now all showing 738. That also drove up the cost of the earlier morning westbound flight and early afternoon eastbound, which is our preferred times. Hoping there’s still time to amend the schedule with a widebody at some point, but we’ll see - I seem to always remember at least one on this route a widebody.
On Oct 2, I am on a 767 going SFO-OGG. But coming home on a 738 on the 14th.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by econ
Possible there's another schedule/aircraft change or two between now and December.
I can actually change to LHR-DEN-OGG for a lie-flat all the way, but a schedule change is exactly what I am afraid of - a change to that DEN-HNL flight timing that'll make the same-day connection impossible (plus I have faint hopes the PL will be open by then at SFO). I guess I'll suffer the 753.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 2MM
I can actually change to LHR-DEN-OGG for a lie-flat all the way, but a schedule change is exactly what I am afraid of - a change to that DEN-HNL flight timing that'll make the same-day connection impossible (plus I have faint hopes the PL will be open by then at SFO). I guess I'll suffer the 753.
I would book the routing via DEN, then if there is a time change you can always change back to a SFO connection with recliner seats. I think it is reasonable to take the risk, UA is really beefing up their DEN-Hawaii schedule (the week you are going they are 3x daily to HNL) trying to keep WN out of the market and highly advertising the Hawaii nonstops in the DEN area.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by N104UA
trying to keep WN out of the market and highly advertising the Hawaii nonstops in the DEN area.
WN doesn't have a plane with enough range for DEN-HNL - maybe it could be attempted with a MAX 7, but between the distance, altitude, headwinds, fuel reserves I don't think it would be possible.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
WN doesn't have a plane with enough range for DEN-HNL - maybe it could be attempted with a MAX 7, but between the distance, altitude, headwinds, fuel reserves I don't think it would be possible.
Some folks are enamored of WN to the extent that they prefer a WN connecting itinerary over a UA nonstop.
N104UA likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by econ
Some folks are enamored of WN to the extent that they prefer a WN connecting itinerary over a UA nonstop.
..UA bag fees can add up for a family of four going on vacation. Rumor of UA providing meals in coach DEN-Hawaii might be something UA can crow about in addition to the non-stops.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2021, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM
Is there any update about a timeline for the PW 772s returning to service? I just did a pretty deep dive and couldn't find anything less than two months old. Thanks
Old Aug 30, 2021, 6:13 am

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by ual1960
Is there any update about a timeline for the PW 772s returning to service? I just did a pretty deep dive and couldn't find anything less than two months old. Thanks
Not until next year, according to a recent WSJ article: https://www.wsj.com/articles/united-...test_headlines.

Subscription may be required to read the full article, but the gist is that Boeing is working on the engine cover modifications, while UA and P&W are developing new testing procedures that can be performed at many maintenance stations, as opposed to the P&W facilities. Exact criteria for the return to service have not yet been decided by the FAA.
ual1960 likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 10:44 pm

I do have to wonder if this unilateral decision to ban all PW 777s for this length of time, or at all, would have taken place in an environment where Covid wasn't occurring - Even in a post 737-Max world.

Imagine the amount of overnight capacity reduction, and associated cancellations across the system in a UA circa 2019 were this to occur. I'm candidly sure what the least-messy contingency plan would be here. And I certainly would expect a different tenor and tone from the company to the FAA behind closed doors and in public.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.