Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Temporarily Grounds Boeing 772 (PW Power); returning to service: late May 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Temporarily Grounds Boeing 772 (PW Power); returning to service: late May 2022

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2021, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
United plans to return the P&W 777's back to service - selfishly disappointed in this news as I've enjoyed the mix of polarized 777-200's and the 777-300 substitution.

United Airlines plans to resume operations of grounded 777 planes | Reuters

United Airlines Holdings Inc (UAL.O) said Tuesday it plans to resume operations of its grounded Boeing 777-200 planes with Pratt & Whitney engines at some point in the future.

United's 52 777 planes with the PW4000 engines were grounded in February after an engine failure on a United flight to Honolulu from Denver. The Federal Aviation Administration ordered immediate inspections of those planes before further flights. United said there had been progress. "We look forward to getting that aircraft back to safe operations in the future," United chief operations officer Jon Roitman said.
They definitely will return them to service (in other words, won't retire) but my understanding is we are still months away, and the company won't commit to a timeline even internally. That's why Roitman was careful to say "in the future" during the call today... I'd go so far as to say the Polaris 777s to Hawaii are going to be safe for most, if not all of the summer.
selo and Kacee like this.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 10:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by EWR764
They definitely will return them to service (in other words, won't retire) but my understanding is we are still months away, and the company won't commit to a timeline even internally. That's why Roitman was careful to say "in the future" during the call today... I'd go so far as to say the Polaris 777s to Hawaii are going to be safe for most, if not all of the summer.
They better come back. The alternative down the road is a 737, not a Polaris aircraft.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 6:57 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
They better come back. The alternative down the road is a 737, not a Polaris aircraft.
UA needs widebodies to Hawaii for cargo.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
I am hopeful that the allocation of Polaris/PE aircraft to Hawaii stimulates a previously-untapped premium economy market to Hawaii, that might prompt United to either retrofit such a cabin to existing domestic ships (77G) and/or continue to schedule internationally-configured aircraft to Hawaii as longhaul demand slowly recovers. In theory, PE is a great product for Hawaii.
tuolumne, Say Vandelay and Kacee like this.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 10:01 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by EWR764
I am hopeful that the allocation of Polaris/PE aircraft to Hawaii stimulates a previously-untapped premium economy market to Hawaii, that might prompt United to either retrofit such a cabin to existing domestic ships (77G) and/or continue to schedule internationally-configured aircraft to Hawaii as longhaul demand slowly recovers. In theory, PE is a great product for Hawaii.
I hope so also - although this evening HNL-SFO red-eye doesn't bode well for that demand. Looks like everyone including silvers have cleared upgrades and still 3 seats available. Only folks left on the upgrade list are non-rev.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 10:32 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I hope so also - although this evening HNL-SFO red-eye doesn't bode well for that demand. Looks like everyone including silvers have cleared upgrades and still 3 seats available. Only folks left on the upgrade list are non-rev.
Our HNL-SFO redeye last week was booked only 33/60 in J at T-24. Entire families CPU'ed. OGG seems the better market for paid premium cabin fares.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
Our HNL-SFO redeye last week was booked only 33/60 in J at T-24. Entire families CPU'ed. OGG seems the better market for paid premium cabin fares.
Tomorrow's 9am SFO-OGG is 34/46 in front and I haven't seen PZ for a month. Waitlist at T-26ish is only 8 people - I'm number 2 and CPU looks like a cinch. My guess is the plane is full of non-Premiers (E+ is virtually empty). Even most of the PE seats are empty - I think some Premiers who get free E+ don't realize what that weird seat arrangement on the 773ER map means

So, yes - I think Maui is getting more paid first. If UA can get more of the blue seat fliers back in the air, they'll be happy.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Apr 21, 2021 at 12:26 pm
Old Apr 21, 2021, 11:00 am

Theres not currently a product on sale that would fill that market, though. Flight-by-flight anecdotal evidence probably wouldn’t be indicative of such a trend, either.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 11:02 am

It will be interesting to see how long AA leaves its widebodies on the Hawaii routes. If UA goes back to the 772 HD, that is a seriously inferior product.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 11:16 am

It will be interesting to see how long AA leaves its widebodies on the Hawaii routes. If UA goes back to the 772 HD, that is a seriously inferior product.
Hasn't AA always flown the 777 with PE to Hawaii since like 2018?
Old Apr 21, 2021, 11:29 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I'd actually give AA or DL a try with lie-flat if they flew HNL-SFO to see if the grass is greener. AS doesn't have lie-flat and I don't like the HA lie-flat seat.

Now that I've been flying the polarized 777-200 or 777-300 it will be a huge setback to revert back to the 772 HD which I didn't mind before - but probably will in the future.
EWR764 and Kacee like this.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...Now that I've been flying the polarized 777-200 or 777-300 it will be a huge setback to revert back to the 772 HD....
Yeah, in terms of F cabin and CPUs, it's been a fantastic 3/4 year (excluding onboard catering) since UA started flying back to Maui. When things get better for UA, it probably means things get worse for us....

And I've never been a fan of the sardine can....It's better than a narrow-body in F (except 752), but that's about it for me. Just personal preference....
Old Apr 21, 2021, 1:19 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Yeah, in terms of F cabin and CPUs, it's been a fantastic 3/4 year (excluding onboard catering) since UA started flying back to Maui. When things get better for UA, it probably means things get worse for us....

And I've never been a fan of the sardine can....It's better than a narrow-body in F (except 752), but that's about it for me. Just personal preference....
Beginning 3 June 2021, SFO-OGG and OGG-SFO are 737-800 5x daily, no 777.
nnn likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
Looks like a similar situation from LAX to OGG in June - 3 flights per day, two 7M9 and one 738. LAX will still have one 777 to HNL each day but other than that a 753 and a 739. For now.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1KChinito
Easy CPUs, meet the toilet....

It's been a good run....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.