Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Temporarily Grounds Boeing 772 (PW Power); returning to service: late May 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Temporarily Grounds Boeing 772 (PW Power); returning to service: late May 2022

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2021, 11:03 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
UA still has them in the schedule for early April, which sure seemed optimistic to me.
They said on the local news this morning 4 of those planes are still sitting at HNL - they seem to be in no rush to do the inspections.
Guate87 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 11:05 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
UA still has them in the schedule for early April, which sure seemed optimistic to me. Those who buy tickets on the routes they're still assigned to will be buying into a high level of uncertainty.
I believe the April schedule update is due out this week, which will delete the active Pratt-powered 772s (77G/M/O/N/U). UA is also adding another batch of 10 MAX9s, returning the 77F (GE 772 freight haulers) to all-pax 77E and a few 752s will come out of storage for service in April. So, hopefully we'll see greater certainty in aircraft assignment now that UA has had a chance to digest the grounding.
SPN Lifer, Kacee and Guate87 like this.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 6:22 pm

Programs: Former UA GS, demoted to lowly 1K MM
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Everything is relative. Compared to a normal, domestic first class seat 2-4-2 is good. OGG-DEN has mostly gone to 752's since the grounding of 772's, but a few nights ago they used a 753. I would have delayed my OGG departure if that had happened to me.
I've seen the 753 slip into the DEN-HNL/OGG routes several times over the past few months, even before the P&W 777 grounding.

Sure hope they don't get any ideas to start using that aircraft on a regular basis, since the 'slimline' F seats are no bueno on a 7+ hour flight.

Didn't think the 753 had the legs to go that distance, but with the relatively light loads, guess it can get by.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Guate87
...I like the 4 of the 3-4-3 when I am in Economy and there is no one else on my row. 4 contiguous Economy seats is a poor person's dream bed.

ANA's First for the 772 is 2-3-2, which is a little better but I have also had 4 contiguous seats in their Economy 3-4-3 and I was able to lie down.
Sleeping in 4 across Y with nobody else there is great -- but it's a roll of the dice as to whether you actually get that r not.
Guate87 likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Sleeping in 4 across Y with nobody else there is great -- but it's a roll of the dice as to whether you actually get that r not.
Getting to sleep firmly fixed in place by two broad-shouldered passengers on both sides of seat 53F is more likely.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 3:41 am

This week GUM saw the 788, 77W, and GE powered 772s operating 200/201. It was interesting as I did not realize that the GUM inflight base was trained on the Dreamliner. What a treat for pax traveling between GUM and HNL right now.
SPN Lifer and Guate87 like this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 6:54 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by trust77
This week GUM saw the 788, 77W, and GE powered 772s operating 200/201. It was interesting as I did not realize that the GUM inflight base was trained on the Dreamliner. What a treat for pax traveling between GUM and HNL right now.
This must be a crew scheduling nightmare with the Pilots. I’m guessing tomorrow United updates the schedule to be a bit more consistent if they can.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by LarryJ
We'll know a lot more when the results from the inspections of the entire PW4077 fleet come in.
Could you clarify the status of the PW 4090's please. UA has grounded all of those in addition to the 4077's. Do they require the same inspections?
Old Mar 7, 2021, 5:16 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by worldtrav
Could you clarify the status of the PW 4090's please. UA has grounded all of those in addition to the 4077's. Do they require the same inspections?
Yes, both the 4077 and 4090 require inspection. They’re largely the same engine
Old Mar 7, 2021, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
UA still has them in the schedule for early April, which sure seemed optimistic to me. Those who buy tickets on the routes they're still assigned to will be buying into a high level of uncertainty.
Purchased my tickets for mid-April ORD -> OGG / OGG -> HNL -> ORD about a week before the fun flight from DEN grounded all the 777-200s, which was what was shown at the time for my flights.

April schedule update appears to be out, and the flight details still say it's 777-200, but the seating chart is for 767-300, and that's what's been flying at least the ORD <-> OGG route recently.

Required some shenanigans to reticket, despite being paid fares and the flight number not changing, as the return flight was not longer shown in my itinerary.

Waited on hold for >2 hours to talk to an agent. Finally got help via Facebook Messenger of all places, and now I'm back to ticketed status on all flights. *phew*

Only MP-Gold, but no notice ( email or otherwise ) on the flight changes at all, only discovered it by happening to check my trips in the app.
nnn likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 5:27 pm

Programs: GS, 3 MM, Hilton Diamond
Last night three of the 777's were parked across the field at HNL - A fourth was being loaded with cargo.
cesco.g likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nigos
Last night three of the 777's were parked across the field at HNL - A fourth was being loaded with cargo.
No 4 was probably the pmCO 772 then with GE engines in active service - unless it was a 773.
rmadisonwi likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 11:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bikenski
I've seen the 753 slip into the DEN-HNL/OGG routes several times over the past few months, even before the P&W 777 grounding.

Sure hope they don't get any ideas to start using that aircraft on a regular basis, since the 'slimline' F seats are no bueno on a 7+ hour flight.

Didn't think the 753 had the legs to go that distance, but with the relatively light loads, guess it can get by.
I had the 772 with polaris seats booked from OGG-SFO at the beginning of the month. Obviously got switched to the 753 at the last second and I needed to be home that day, so I paid a big premium for a lie flat and got garbage...Full United.

Then to follow it up, my wife's parents got vaccinated so she wanted to go visit them in Indianapolis. United said they were restarting the nonstop SFO-IND flight on April 1. So I booked her April 4-10. This morning I got a notice that the nonstop is pushed back and she will be flying through Houston on a 737 MAX.

I swear United must now actively hate their customers or something. This is nuts. Cancelled the whole route and rebooked her on AA and Delta. If I didn't have a boatload of UA miles I'd be gone. Of course, I never got any sort of apology for any of it.

On the plus side, we're moving to a Delta hub soon and won't have to deal with United any longer.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 11:47 am

I wonder if PW can entice UA with some compensation in the form of a great deal for engines on the A321XLR order.
Guate87 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 11:57 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by arjaok
I had the 772 with polaris seats booked from OGG-SFO at the beginning of the month. Obviously got switched to the 753 at the last second and I needed to be home that day, so I paid a big premium for a lie flat and got garbage...Full United.
From what I can tell there are 2 flights per day OGG-SFO that are lie flat (a 767 and 777) - and they all seem wide open - you get a free change, why not switch to one of those flights.

I also don't see any "premium" for lie flat vs non lie flat
BlueZebra and Guate87 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.