Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Temporarily Grounds Boeing 772 (PW Power); returning to service: late May 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Temporarily Grounds Boeing 772 (PW Power); returning to service: late May 2022

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2021, 9:04 pm

Programs: DL-Plat, UA-Plat 2MM, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic 3, AY-Plat, HY-Globalist, MR-LT Plat, HH-Gold
Wow, I'm headed EWR-SFO-OGG on Tues and BOTH of my flights were impacted, fortunately with no downsides (if it holds). EWR-SFO goes from 777 Polaris to 767 Polaris and SFO-OGG gets the 777 Polaris that is being ferried out to Maui tomorrow (no change in aircraft type, but lucked out in timing that it will be on rotation in time for my flight). Fingers crossed.
Guate87 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
What's your point ? Those on A321NEO are PW1100G, completely different than 772's PW4077 and a completely different problem.

Yes UA was the launch customer for 777 and PW was the launch engines.
And this engine has been one of the safest engines ever. One might assume that the fact that there was another similar engine incident on the same day (in EU) with the similar engine type surely influenced the FAA decision.
ExplorerWannabe and Guate87 like this.

Last edited by artvandalay; Feb 21, 2021 at 9:44 pm
Old Feb 21, 2021, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by chicago747
How long do we think these planes will be grounded?
If it's something that an inspection can turn up, probably a matter of weeks, if that. If a fix requires any real changes that would need to be designed, fabricated, and tested, I'd expect PW, Boeing, and/or insurance to just pay out the fair market value (prior to yesterday, of course ) for the remaining airframes and the planes wouldn't fly revenue service again.

These planes are mostly 20+ years old. With only 69 in service at the moment and what will likely be a depressed 2nd hand market due to COVID removing demand for the foreseeable future, I'd expect those could be bought in total for a billion USD or so. The 59 stored probably even less per frame. I don't think there are a ton of ER models in there, but if they make up more than I'm thinking, probably a bit more, but not considerably more.
SPN Lifer, Milwaukee and Guate87 like this.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K
You can see the entire 772 fleet here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...et=true#gid=12
cesco.g likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 9:46 pm

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, National EE, Lots of Stupid CCs&The I Am Crazy Enough To Actually Pay For F
what database are you all using to see what airline has what engines on each airframe?
Old Feb 21, 2021, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
First flight 1994 but didn't deliver not til a year later in 1995, this is LN 5, probably was used for testing and do tours
Correct. I seem to recall that the first UA revenue flights were in April 1995 in/out of LAX.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 10:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Some of the PW’s are Polaris and PP so I hope it is just stepped up inspection and not a permanent grounding. The more PP/Polaris options the better.
Guate87 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 10:42 pm
Suspended

Ugh, flying OGG-SFO on Thursday and had a sweet bulkhead polaris seat booked. Now the United app seems to think we will be on a 752.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by arjaok
Ugh, flying OGG-SFO on Thursday and had a sweet bulkhead polaris seat booked. Now the United app seems to think we will be on a 752.
Focus on the positive, you had a nice visit on Maui. This isn't an Ugh moment, but a when do I come back to Maui moment. I barely sleep on this flight, and while true Polaris would be great, the 752's aren't that bad IMO.
cur and Dublin_rfk like this.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arjaok
I am also booked on 772 in a few days; if it is at least still a lie-flat I am fine - not a 737 as reported above!
Old Feb 21, 2021, 11:25 pm

Programs: United currently plat
hmmmm what to do

I’m booked on tomorrow’s HNL-SFO 372 (in F) which has been swapped to a 788 Polaris and delayed by 2 hours.

Now scheduled to land and have me miss my connection to SBA by 10 mins...

With UA’s leaned back schedule into SBA and tomorrow nights HNL-SFO red eye cancelled in not sure what to do...

The soonest i can get into SBA if i reschedule will be Wednesday midday.

If i fly on 372 tomorrow will they put me up when I misconnect? There is always the good chance we catch tailwind and get in with just enough time for me to catch the SBA leg...?
Old Feb 21, 2021, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by evol
I’m booked on tomorrow’s HNL-SFO 372 (in F) which has been swapped to a 788 Polaris and delayed by 2 hours.

With UA’s leaned back schedule into SBA and tomorrow nights HNL-SFO red eye cancelled in not sure what to do...

If i fly on 372 tomorrow will they put me up when I misconnect? There is always the good chance we catch tailwind and get in with just enough time for me to catch the SBA leg...?
Ask to be rerouted to LAX and take the bus to Santa Barbara.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 11:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by evol

Since your itin already says miss connection by 10 minutes then it's an illegal connection. I think UA will reschedule you automatically or when you check in, either way I think it's highly unlikely you will still have the original SFO-SBA on your ticket by the time you leave HNL. I doubt they'll put you up in a hotel in that case.

If your plane is fast, you could try your luck with SDC once you're at SFO. But assuming you want to get into SBA the quickest, your best bet is to reroute, or if no UA options are good for you, could try to invoke rule 240.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 11:42 pm

Programs: United currently plat
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Ask to be rerouted to LAX and take the bus to Santa Barbara.
mhmm tomorrow nights LAX bound red-eye is is a 773 which would be nice but i’d still get to SBA at the same time as if i go via SFO and overnight.

trying to steer clear of the L.A. area, although the covid intensity has cooled considerably. Also trying to steer clear of a bus.. >_>

Originally Posted by kevflyer
Since your itin already says miss connection by 10 minutes then it's an illegal connection. I think UA will reschedule you automatically or when you check in, either way I think it's highly unlikely you will still have the original SFO-SBA on your ticket by the time you leave HNL. I doubt they'll put you up in a hotel in that case.

If your plane is fast, you could try your luck with SDC once you're at SFO. But assuming you want to get into SBA the quickest, your best bet is to reroute, or if no UA options are good for you, could try to invoke rule 240.
Mahalo for the advice, as of now the SBA leg is still there. I bought the F ticket to travel in a lie-flat and to distance BUT i do want to get where i’m going.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 22, 2021 at 12:12 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 21, 2021, 11:47 pm

Programs: DL-Plat, UA-Plat 2MM, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic 3, AY-Plat, HY-Globalist, MR-LT Plat, HH-Gold
Originally Posted by truncated
Interestingly if the app is correct it looks like N78001 (sCO 772) is ferrying EWR-OGG tomorrow to operate the 772 return UA1580 OGG-SFO (although EWR-OGG is only scheduled to land at 1.54pm, so no chance OGG-SFO goes out at 10am but there's no delay posted yet).
UA 1580 OGG-SFO now delayed to 2:50p departure - 5 hour delay, but at least they keep the 772!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.