Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Temporarily Grounds Boeing 772 (PW Power); returning to service: late May 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Temporarily Grounds Boeing 772 (PW Power); returning to service: late May 2022

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2021, 11:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by evol
Mahalo for the advice, as of now the SBA leg is still there. I bought the F ticket to travel in a lie-flat and to distance BUT i do want to get where i’m going.
For sure. You don't want to move to another plane without a lie flat in this case.
I just took a look at UA's schedule and you really don't have much option without hotel uncertainty (I mean you can always call UA now and try to figure it out - but they will definitely not let you keep this itinerary if a human looks at it)

A quick look on GF looks like your best bet (while keeping the overwater in lie flat and getting you into SBA the quickest) is AA693 (777) to PHX then AA5935. It'll still get you in the next morning, but at least it's a red eye and you won't need to worry about hotel. I'm assuming rule 240 would work here because from quick glance, there is no UA solution that can get you into SBA before AA does. But I can't tell you what would happen if you ask for that.

Last edited by kevflyer; Feb 22, 2021 at 12:04 am
Old Feb 22, 2021, 12:46 am

Programs: United currently plat
Welp, youʻre right, they just automatically rebooked me on the 773 to LAX.. Iʻm kind of miffed..
Old Feb 22, 2021, 12:48 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Stupid Question - Since the planes in question ( N772UA yesterday and N773UA a few years ago ) are the Non-ER version on the sUA 772 PW Fleet, does the grounding apply to the ER fleet as well?

What is the difference between the ER and the non-ER? I assumed it was a more fuel efficient, thus different engine, the way the GEs have even more range, but now I’m not so sure,
Old Feb 22, 2021, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kevflyer
I'm assuming rule 240 would work here because from quick glance, there is no UA solution that can get you into SBA before AA does. But I can't tell you what would happen if you ask for that.
"Rule 240" hasn't existed in 40 years. There is no positive right of reaccommodation onto another airline's flight. OP can call and ask, but UA is free to say no and offer a refund instead.

Welp, youʻre right, they just automatically rebooked me on the 773 to LAX.. Iʻm kind of miffed..
You don't have to accept the rebooking if it doesn't suit your requirements. Call UA -- but look to see what they have available so that you know what to ask for. (Anything on UA is fair game; anything on another airline is a "maybe; can't hurt to ask" situation).

UA generally would not pay for a hotel for a disruption based on a schedule change that they knew about in advance; they'd rather find a way to improve the itinerary before you depart.
HNLbasedFlyer and kevflyer like this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
"Rule 240" hasn't existed in 40 years. There is no positive right of reaccommodation onto another airline's flight. OP can call and ask, but UA is free to say no and offer a refund instead.

You don't have to accept the rebooking if it doesn't suit your requirements. Call UA -- but look to see what they have available so that you know what to ask for. (Anything on UA is fair game; anything on another airline is a "maybe; can't hurt to ask" situation).
I realize I neglected to mention rule 240 isn't an official thing anymore, and newer / younger agents may not even know what it is. Although if you get lucky, some agents may still accommodate (I've had luck with a AS gate agent). Like you said, it's a "maybe". OP should definitely at least try if there is absolutely nothing on UA that suits him.
jsloan likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 3:04 am

Programs: United currently plat
Originally Posted by jsloan

UA generally would not pay for a hotel for a disruption based on a schedule change that they knew about in advance; they'd rather find a way to improve the itinerary before you depart.
Mahalo for the thoughts!

Upon closer examination they were just listing the LAX as an option (perhaps?) i just logged in again and there were all kinds of flights listed there under my original itinerary (HNL-OGG-SFO-SBA for instance) but this grounding coupled with their barebones frequency into SBA is making it quite the scramble. On top of that all the swapped planes are running a couple hours behind schedule and the reasoning for all the delays are "federally mandated crew rest time"

If they won't put me up iʻll put my self up at SFO i suppose. Iʻm not in the mood to talk to them on the phone tonight, Iʻll just go speak to someone at HNL tomorrow prepared to fly on 372 at itʻs delayed time. Itʻs not a "schedule change" it is a delayed flight, albeit one they know about 12 hours in advance.

Mahalo nui!
Old Feb 22, 2021, 6:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by phkc070408
Stupid Question - Since the planes in question ( N772UA yesterday and N773UA a few years ago ) are the Non-ER version on the sUA 772 PW Fleet, does the grounding apply to the ER fleet as well?

What is the difference between the ER and the non-ER? I assumed it was a more fuel efficient, thus different engine, the way the GEs have even more range, but now I’m not so sure,
Not stupid question - looks like 772s had two different PW engines - 4077 for the non-ER and 4090 for the ER version. This was a 4077 engine (as was previous incident) from what I can tell in the vague news reports. Not sure if the inspection requirement extends to the 4090 version used in the ER.
cesco.g likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 7:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by drewguy
Not stupid question - looks like 772s had two different PW engines - 4077 for the non-ER and 4090 for the ER version. This was a 4077 engine (as was previous incident) from what I can tell in the vague news reports. Not sure if the inspection requirement extends to the 4090 version used in the ER.
Based on the number of UA aircraft reported grounded (24) it would seem to be more than just the non-ER.

Wouldn't mind seeing the HDs permanently grounded and replaced with Polaris aircraft on Hawaii and premium t-con routes.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by drewguy
The fan blades are not shared between the 4077 and the 4090, the AD hasn't come out so it isn't clear whether or not the the sUA772ERs will be impacted.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Upon closer examination they were just listing the LAX as an option (perhaps?) i just logged in again and there were all kinds of flights listed there under my original itinerary (HNL-OGG-SFO-SBA for instance) but this grounding coupled with their barebones frequency into SBA is making it quite the scramble. On top of that all the swapped planes are running a couple hours behind schedule and the reasoning for all the delays are "federally mandated crew rest time"
OK, that's UA's proactive rescheduling system finding backup options for you. You'll be able to sort it out at check-in.

If they won't put me up iʻll put my self up at SFO i suppose. Iʻm not in the mood to talk to them on the phone tonight, Iʻll just go speak to someone at HNL tomorrow prepared to fly on 372 at itʻs delayed time. Itʻs not a "schedule change" it is a delayed flight, albeit one they know about 12 hours in advance.
Upon further review, I agree. If this flight were next week, you'd be SOL, but since it's today, this is a technical delay and thus UA should be willing to provide a hotel if you misconnect in SFO.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by phkc070408

Originally Posted by colpuck
The fan blades are not shared between the 4077 and the 4090, the AD hasn't come out so it isn't clear whether or not the the sUA772ERs will be impacted.
The grounding apply to the ER fleet as well, they did mention 24 of the active fleet are grounded, there are 19 non ER 77G/77M total, 4 of them are still stored, so 15 of the non ER + 9 ER (majority of the ER 77N/77U were still stored since the pandemic begins last year)

Non ER use PW4077, ER use PW4090, they are just the same engine but one is heavier. Range is related to fuel tank and the amount of thrust put out, GE90 has more range as 77W use GE90-115B which is 115,000lbs, sCO 772ER use GE90-94B, so that is 94,000lbs vs PW4090 is 90,000lbs and PW4077 is 77,000lbs.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 9:37 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by Kacee
Wouldn't mind seeing the HDs permanently grounded and replaced with Polaris aircraft on Hawaii and premium t-con routes.
Looks like all 772 HNL routes even GUM have become 773 (like cargo flights are), and nowhere close to 60 people taking those Polaris seats for the next few days. To/from LAX/SFO where CPU is eligible, every last silver companion will get a new bed for something like $199 OW $393 RT, of course plus the cost of a COVID test.
SPN Lifer and Kacee like this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 10:19 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
Originally Posted by truncated
Meanwhile tomorrow's 1273 SFO-OGG looks like it just got swapped from a (Polaris) 772 to 738...
yes my OGG-SFO return tomorrow was also downgraded from a 777 to a 738
Old Feb 22, 2021, 10:40 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Does UA ultimately need these 777-200’s? They were due for retirement soon anyway, weren’t they? With hardly anyone flying seems they could accelerate writing them off - and I do enjoy the -300 on my HNL flight today - I’m in 1L if anyone else on the flight.
SPN Lifer, PHXonUA and Kacee like this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Does UA ultimately need these 777-200’s? They were due for retirement soon anyway, weren’t they? With hardly anyone flying seems they could accelerate writing them off - and I do enjoy the -300 on my HNL flight today - I’m in 1L if anyone else on the flight.
Is UA still scheduled to take delivery on the A359s in 2027? If so, I'd think the 772s still have a few years left, after all UA just finished retrofitting all their 772s (except all domestic configs + 1).
On another note, DL retired their 772s only a couple months after the pandemic started, and they had just completed putting Delta One suites on their 772s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.