Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Temporarily Grounds Boeing 772 (PW Power); returning to service: late May 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Temporarily Grounds Boeing 772 (PW Power); returning to service: late May 2022

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2021, 11:04 am

It's entirely possible the burning engine video was posted online before 328 landed. And anyone on the ground could view what the cockpit crew couldn't.

Scary thought.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 11:16 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Does UA ultimately need these 777-200’s? They were due for retirement soon anyway, weren’t they? With hardly anyone flying seems they could accelerate writing them off - and I do enjoy the -300 on my HNL flight today - I’m in 1L if anyone else on the flight.
i would take the 777-200’s over a 737 anyday! Hopefully they continue flying another 10 years!
Old Feb 22, 2021, 11:20 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
i would take the 777-200’s over a 737 anyday! Hopefully they continue flying another 10 years!
I guess I should clarify. Im switched to a 777-300
LASUA1K likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 11:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LegalTender
It's entirely possible the burning engine video was posted online before 328 landed. And anyone on the ground could view what the cockpit crew couldn't.

Scary thought.
Why is that a scary thought?
Old Feb 22, 2021, 11:25 am

I booked the 772 yesterday specifically for the beds on 3/19 and 3/27 IAD-LAX. I hope they're either back in service or equivalent swap is made. A 739 would be a disappointment.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Does UA ultimately need these 777-200’s? They were due for retirement soon anyway, weren’t they? With hardly anyone flying seems they could accelerate writing them off - and I do enjoy the -300 on my HNL flight today - I’m in 1L if anyone else on the flight.
I'd think UAL was already planning a drawdown on the oldest non-ER models, and this has likely accelerated that. I'll be sad to see n777ua go!
Old Feb 22, 2021, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by arjaok
Why is that a scary thought?
Visuals help. I'm not saying extent of the fire might fit into the crew's workflow.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 11:51 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL

Scary thought.
While I'm sure the cockpit crew were busy attending to getting the plane on the ground safely, one of them could have come back to the windows near 2R where the video appears to have been taken from. Or an FA could have taken pics and provided them to the cockpit crew.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 11:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by kevflyer
Is UA still scheduled to take delivery on the A359s in 2027? If so, I'd think the 772s still have a few years left, after all UA just finished retrofitting all their 772s (except all domestic configs + 1).
On another note, DL retired their 772s only a couple months after the pandemic started, and they had just completed putting Delta One suites on their 772s.
They probably have a few years left as they wait for replacements. As a result of COVID and reduced flying they may have some flexibility to retire, or mothball, some of them pending a determination of how quickly demand rebounds. I doubt UA would want to fully retire planes they might need if demand returns more quickly between now and when replacements come on line.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Now I have to wonder whether the WiFi came on at 10 kft AGL or MSL, as the flight was in between.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kevflyer
Is UA still scheduled to take delivery on the A359s in 2027? If so, I'd think the 772s still have a few years left, after all UA just finished retrofitting all their 772s (except all domestic configs + 1).
I'd be fine if they just ditched the HD's (i.e., 77G and 77M).
cesco.g, narvik and kevflyer like this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lem144
I booked the 772 yesterday specifically for the beds on 3/19 and 3/27 IAD-LAX. I hope they're either back in service or equivalent swap is made. A 739 would be a disappointment.
I am in a similar situation. They might plug in the 788/9 which was operating on that city pair a couple months ago. Often it was a 788 coming in from ZRH, proceeding onto LAX and return to IAD next morning.
Guate87 likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 12:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
It's entirely possible the burning engine video was posted online before 328 landed. And anyone on the ground could view what the cockpit crew couldn't. ....
Standard for the pilots to ask for a visual report by the FAs (or possible a deadheading pilot) and if conditions allow (probably not in this case) for a pilot to come a do a visual.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Standard for the pilots to ask for a visual report by the FAs (or possible a deadheading pilot) and if conditions allow (probably not in this case) for a pilot to come a do a visual.
I'll bet the FA would get many volunteers to snap some pics with a tablet and then allow the FA to take the tablet to the flight deck.

I'm wondering if it isn't time to use current technology and install a few rearward-looking cameras on planes to give pilots a visual. The incidents are obviously rare, but the costs must be relatively cheap these days, and the benefits in an incident seem plain.
lowfareair and Guate87 like this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 2:39 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
The incidents are obviously rare, but the costs must be relatively cheap these days, and the benefits in an incident seem plain.
None of the non-normal checklists that would be used depend on the results of a visual inspection of the engine and the results of such an inspection are not going to cause us to change any of our procedures. You would be allocating additional time to preform the inspection with no clear benefit.

The primary checklist that would be accomplished covers engine fire, engine severe damage, and even engine separation situations. With an engine fire. severe damage, separation, or severe vibration the goal is to land as soon as possible. Nothing you see out the window, or on a video monitor, is going to change that.
cesco.g, SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and 9 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.