Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Temporarily Grounds Boeing 772 (PW Power); returning to service: late May 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Temporarily Grounds Boeing 772 (PW Power); returning to service: late May 2022

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2021, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
I'll bet the FA would get many volunteers to snap some pics with a tablet and then allow the FA to take the tablet to the flight deck.
Good point about rear-facing cams.

Chaos and drama are bad enough without asking for volunteers to take pictures for the pilot. And an FAs ill-timed questions on the flight deck is a distraction. I tend to think UA 328s door never opened.
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 3:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Celebrity Cruises Elite Plus
After a 4-week stay I was booked to fly 352 HNL-SFO on Thursday. Had booked 2 seats in row 49 in both directions for Covid reasons and the fact the rear 4 rows narrow to 2-4-2 config from 3-4-3. 90 minutes before the flight left SFO on Jan 24, I cancelled the 2nd extra seat when it was obvious I wasn’t going to need it. Closest person to me was 4 rows forward on that flight.

Have now switched Thursdays 352, which looks like it *may* operate with a 757 to Tuesday’s 352 which is a 777-300ER. Have cancelled the 2nd seat in Y and replaced with Polaris F.

After a month’s stay, I’ll go home 2 days early to avoid the 757 in Y for 777ER in Polaris. 👍

UA 2380 24JAN

UA 2380 24JAN
Old Feb 22, 2021, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by LegalTender
Good point about rear-facing cams.

Chaos and drama are bad enough without asking for volunteers to take pictures for the pilot. And an FAs ill-timed questions on the flight deck is a distraction. I tend to think UA 328s door never opened.
Yep, I should have prefaced with "If the captain asked..."
Old Feb 22, 2021, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Just landed HNL. 3 777-200’s parked here side by side.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 5:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Just landed HNL. 3 777-200’s parked here side by side.
I expect I'll see a few at SFO tomorrow . . . .
Old Feb 22, 2021, 9:43 pm

Programs: United currently plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
OK, that's UA's proactive rescheduling system finding backup options for you. You'll be able to sort it out at check-in.

Upon further review, I agree. If this flight were next week, you'd be SOL, but since it's today, this is a technical delay and thus UA should be willing to provide a hotel if you misconnect in SFO.
They did put me up at the Hyatt Regency without any trouble, where i sit now.

It seems like they are only swapping aircraft a few days ahead of time. Looking for my return ticket i’m seeing the 772 high density still on the schedule next week.

I hope they take their time with the inspections..
cesco.g, SPN Lifer, BEAV and 3 others like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 22, 2021 at 10:29 pm Reason: undid merge
Old Feb 23, 2021, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any ideas what timeframes UA is looking at to inspect and perform needed repairs on those engines/planes?
Old Feb 23, 2021, 12:00 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Any ideas what timeframes UA is looking at to inspect and perform needed repairs on those engines/planes?
That will depend on the results of the inspections and what is found from the analysis of fan blades that failed.

The solution could be as simple as more frequent fan blade inspections or as complex as redesigned fan blades. That would cover anything from 'not very long' to 'quite some time'.
cesco.g and Xyzzy like this.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA1K, AS Gold 75K, HH Diamond, MR Titanium LT Gold, IHG Platinum, HZ PC, CLEAR
What would pilots have done if this had happened over the Pacific, halfway between SFO and HNL?
Old Feb 23, 2021, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Guate87
What would pilots have done if this had happened over the Pacific, halfway between SFO and HNL?
Attempt to continue to HNL if over halfway or return to SFO/other suitable landing airport. Simplified explanation: in order for a plane to go out of range of a landing airport, it needs it to meet a certain ETOPS standard that indicate they can get to the nearest suitable airport on a single engine.
SPN Lifer, wxguy, rch4u and 4 others like this.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Guate87
Return to SFO or go on to HNL depending on fuel/range/wind, etc
SPN Lifer and Guate87 like this.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Attempt to continue to HNL if over halfway or return to SFO/other suitable landing airport. Simplified explanation: in order for a plane to go out of range of a landing airport, it needs it to meet a certain ETOPS standard that indicate they can get to the nearest suitable airport on a single engine.
Exactly -- they would have just kept flying to the nearest suitable airport, which in this case is going to be in Hawaii or California. ETOPS planes on that route are designed and fueled to fly on one engine for 3 hours, including at higher fuel burn levels if they had a decompression and had to fly at 10,000 feet. There are even rules about different mechanics working on each engine to avoid a mistake being duplicated.

While 4 engines can feel safer, that can be a false sense of security. There have been cases where an inner 747 engine failed and took out the outer engine on that side also, and 747s are not necessarily able to maintain flying safely on 2 engines, especially on one side.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by cesco.g
Until the FAA publishes an AD that defines the scope of the inspections and any potential repairs nobody knows.
cesco.g and ajGoes like this.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
I am starting to think my SFO-OGG for next weekend might be downgraded from the original Polaris 777. All of a sudden this morning its all zeroed out in all classes
The original schedule was (2) 737s and (1) 757-200 plus the 777

Most definitely not worth the trip up from LA to get stuck on a 737
Old Feb 23, 2021, 9:53 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Executive, Hertz PC, National EE, IC Diamond Ambassador, ALL Gold, Hyatt Disc
Novice here. What is the best way to try to see what type of plane is assigned for a given trip knowing that it is always subject to change up until departure? I have a flight from EWR-SFO that is coming up over the weekend that was scheduled for a 772. From what I can tell the seat map was always showing 18 rows in J so a swap to a 77W was always possible. Not sure if that is what they are most likely to use given the circumstances or if the 777-200ER are also being used on the route. I know it is all a toss up but just curious. Booked row 9 which I assume is pretty much the same in either variant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.