Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Temporarily Grounds Boeing 772 (PW Power); returning to service: late May 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Temporarily Grounds Boeing 772 (PW Power); returning to service: late May 2022

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2021, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by littlejt1
Anyone been on these IAH-HNL the last week or this? Scheduled on it Friday 3/5 and a while back they swapped from a 777 to 767, no worries but noticed the flight today was the newer Polaris cabin, as is another later this week. My flight still showing the older style...curious if they’ve been doing swaps in T-48 or later? Have some blocked seats in F as well so likely some overselling.
not understanding why my thread was moved here...my question had nothing to do with the 777 grounding!!??
OP, your IAH-HNL flight was originally showing a 772 as that's the "normal," pre-Covid aircraft assignment they used for the flight. UA's schedules more than one month out are merely a placeholder that is based on the pre-Covid baseline; frequency changes and aircraft swaps (such as yours from a 772 to 763) are typically loaded one month out for domestic flights.

During Covid, they have been running that flight exclusively using 763s, and yours is no different (it should've swapped from a 772 to a 763 sometime in early February, and the swap has nothing to do with the recent groundings). Even though the vast majority of 763s have been reconfigured with the Polaris cabin, for whatever reason UA is still using the seatmap for the old, unrefurbished cabin until they assign a frame to operate your flight, which typically happens around midnight CST two days before departure, which would be tomorrow night (3/2 going into 3/3). At that time, if the assigned frame has Polaris seats, the seatmap will be updated, though it can change back (and forth) until departure--which is especially important these few weeks as the widebody fleet is in a bit of disarray following the 772 groundings.

The seat blocking is normal for long-haul flights to Hawaii from beyond the west coast. I believe the 763 has one blocked seat (1A) for crew rest. If you are seeing more than one or two blocked seats in F, then yes, it seems like an oversell situation in the back of the bus. They don't usually oversell F.

Mods, this belongs in a thread about when Polaris seatmaps are loaded, not in this thread about 772 groundings.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 5:23 pm

Anyone been on these IAH-HNL the last week or this? Scheduled on it Friday 3/5 and a while back they swapped from a 777 to 767, no worries but noticed the flight today was the newer Polaris cabin, as is another later this week. My flight still showing the older style...curious if they’ve been doing swaps in T-48 or later? Have some blocked seats in F as well so likely some overselling.
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Blocking is also done to allow a swap to a smaller aircraft -- alot of that is happening on the Hawaii routes at the moment responding to the grounding of the larger Hawaii 777s
I flew the route last week. For my particular flight, the held seats were due to a 46J 767 being loaded in last minute. 17 seats were held, presumably "in case" the traditional 30J version was subbed back in. Luckily the 46J bird held, 15 held seats were released, and I ended up in 15 L. I'd expect this might happen more often as the 46J fleet is revived for JFK and BOS-LHR routes in the near future.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 7:16 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
My LAX-HNL flight on 3/29 is now showing Polarized 777-200. The return on 4/4 is still showing HD configuration.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Its been quite a mixed bag for Lax-HNL the last few days ...
sat cancelled
sun 752
mon 788
tue 763
wed 777 Polaris

just hope my flight this weekend stays with something decent 😬
evol likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 7:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cbrown5294
Its been quite a mixed bag for Lax-HNL the last few days ...
sat cancelled
sun 752
mon 788
tue 763
wed 777 Polaris

just hope my flight this weekend stays with something decent 😬
The Hawaii schedule is a complete mess for at least the next month. I may have to move my upcoming trip due to work, and the options (and available inventory) are extremely limited. This seems to have impacted demand on other carriers as well, because pickings are slim across carriers. UA is leaving money on the table not having lie flat seats available for sale.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Lots of last minute changes on the transcontinental EWR to SFO and EWR to LAX routes in the last few days. The aircraft on my flight has been changed twice in the last two days before travel. Some of the changes don't make sense either..on my original flight the 772 was swapped to a 752 with only 16 business class seats even though there were 30 people booked originally.
Guate87 likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA1K, AS Gold 75K, HH Diamond, MR Titanium LT Gold, IHG Platinum, HZ PC, CLEAR
Yesterday UA swapped me to a 767-300 DEN to IAH; I loved the 1-1-1 Polaris configuration! Flight recovery had called me about switching flights but their decision to change equipment was even a better idea.
cesco.g and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Has there been any Comms regarding how long the inspections will take? Hoping the full 777 fleet is back ASAP!
Old Mar 3, 2021, 3:35 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Has there been any Comms regarding how long the inspections will take? Hoping the full 777 fleet is back ASAP!
Nothing official yet, but I wouldn’t expect to see the full fleet back for months. Maybe by April or May a gradual return can start, but the inspections are going to take a long time and UA is not rushing to get the airplanes back in service until the matter has been sufficiently investigated. Two catastrophic fan blade failures on a fleet in <36 months is a problem. While both flights landed safely, and everyone walked away unscathed, that outcome is far from assured in a situation like this and the passengers and crew of another one might not be so lucky.

Given the current circumstances, this is something they absolutely can afford to take the time to get right.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 6:55 am

Programs: UA1K, AS Gold 75K, HH Diamond, MR Titanium LT Gold, IHG Platinum, HZ PC, CLEAR
Originally Posted by EWR764
Two catastrophic fan blade failures on a fleet in <36 months is a problem. While both flights landed safely, and everyone walked away unscathed, that outcome is far from assured in a situation like this and the passengers and crew of another one might not be so lucky.
Given the current circumstances, this is something they absolutely can afford to take the time to get right.
Yes, the NTSB, FAA and UA must take the time to fix this.

On January 20, 1989 my sister was flying Piedmont home to North Carolina from Chicago. The engine fell off, the plane made it back to ORD safely but my sister has never flown again. She uses Amtrak.

The engine that fell from her Piedmont 737 flight was also Pratt & Whitney.

The NTSB took its time, a few years, then made conclusions and recommendations.

Interestingly, Piedmont was sold later that same year, 1989, to USAir.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 7:18 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EWR764
Nothing official yet, but I wouldn’t expect to see the full fleet back for months. Maybe by April or May a gradual return can start
UA still has them in the schedule for early April, which sure seemed optimistic to me. Those who buy tickets on the routes they're still assigned to will be buying into a high level of uncertainty.
Guate87 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
UA still has them in the schedule for early April, which sure seemed optimistic to me. Those who buy tickets on the routes they're still assigned to will be buying into a high level of uncertainty.
UA also initially seemed overly optimistic regarding the 737 MAX. (Yes, I know UA has MAX 9 and the two catastrophic crashes were on MAX 8s but still.)

I hope PW will insist on taking the time to make sure these past near-tragedies don't become future total-tragedies.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
You like the HD config with 2-4-2 in J and 3-4-3 in Y? Nt me!
Old Mar 3, 2021, 9:34 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Everything is relative. Compared to a normal, domestic first class seat 2-4-2 is good. OGG-DEN has mostly gone to 752's since the grounding of 772's, but a few nights ago they used a 753. I would have delayed my OGG departure if that had happened to me.
Guate87 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I feel like I am sleeping in a Youth Hostel when I am in United First in the 4 of the 2-4-2 but I like the 4 of the 3-4-3 when I am in Economy and there is no one else on my row. 4 contiguous Economy seats is a poor person's dream bed.

ANA's First for the 772 is 2-3-2, which is a little better but I have also had 4 contiguous seats in their Economy 3-4-3 and I was able to lie down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.