FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Temporarily Grounds Boeing 772 (PW Power); returning to service: late May 2022
Old Mar 1, 2021, 4:05 pm
dkc192

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by littlejt1
Anyone been on these IAH-HNL the last week or this? Scheduled on it Friday 3/5 and a while back they swapped from a 777 to 767, no worries but noticed the flight today was the newer Polaris cabin, as is another later this week. My flight still showing the older style...curious if they’ve been doing swaps in T-48 or later? Have some blocked seats in F as well so likely some overselling.
Originally Posted by littlejt1
not understanding why my thread was moved here...my question had nothing to do with the 777 grounding!!??
OP, your IAH-HNL flight was originally showing a 772 as that's the "normal," pre-Covid aircraft assignment they used for the flight. UA's schedules more than one month out are merely a placeholder that is based on the pre-Covid baseline; frequency changes and aircraft swaps (such as yours from a 772 to 763) are typically loaded one month out for domestic flights.

During Covid, they have been running that flight exclusively using 763s, and yours is no different (it should've swapped from a 772 to a 763 sometime in early February, and the swap has nothing to do with the recent groundings). Even though the vast majority of 763s have been reconfigured with the Polaris cabin, for whatever reason UA is still using the seatmap for the old, unrefurbished cabin until they assign a frame to operate your flight, which typically happens around midnight CST two days before departure, which would be tomorrow night (3/2 going into 3/3). At that time, if the assigned frame has Polaris seats, the seatmap will be updated, though it can change back (and forth) until departure--which is especially important these few weeks as the widebody fleet is in a bit of disarray following the 772 groundings.

The seat blocking is normal for long-haul flights to Hawaii from beyond the west coast. I believe the 763 has one blocked seat (1A) for crew rest. If you are seeing more than one or two blocked seats in F, then yes, it seems like an oversell situation in the back of the bus. They don't usually oversell F.

Mods, this belongs in a thread about when Polaris seatmaps are loaded, not in this thread about 772 groundings.