Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Temporarily Grounds Boeing 772 (PW Power); returning to service: late May 2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Temporarily Grounds Boeing 772 (PW Power); returning to service: late May 2022

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2021, 11:35 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
For a multitude of reasons, I am glad I cancelled my UA booking to OGG and went with AA mid-March through DFW on their 777.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by EWR764
My best guess is at least a week or two total grounding, with some aircraft gradually returning to service thereafter as their inspections are completed. The fact that P&W has to do the inspections at their shop in Connecticut makes the process more time-consuming. Full return to service could take a month or more.
Is P&W the only place that these inspections can be done? The AD says this:
...perators must conduct a thermal acoustic image (TAI) inspection of the large titanium fan blades located at the front of each engine. TAI technology can detect cracks on the interior surfaces of the hollow fan blades, or in areas that cannot be seen during a visual inspection.
I've been in UA hangers where they were performing similar tests on 737 fan blades (during a 2018 737-NG grounding IIRC) and I know that fan blade inspections can generally be done in MX hangars.

Last edited by Xyzzy; Feb 24, 2021 at 12:52 pm
Old Feb 24, 2021, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I've been in UA hangers where they were performing similar tests on 737 fan blades (during a 2018 737-NG grounding IIRC) and I know that fan blade inspections can generally be done in MX hangars.

Under the AD, P&W will perform the tests at its facility in Connecticut, and released a statement saying that it is requesting all affected parts be sent to their facility to comply with the AD. The issue is that only P&W technicians have the training to identify the potential failures using the TAI technology... although that training (specifically the insufficiency thereof) was also the subject of March 2019 AD in the wake of the last UA PW4000 failure SFO-HNL in 2018. If it can be demonstrated that other repair stations have the capability and training to performt this inspection, it's possible that the AD may be revised, but for now everything is going to Connecticut.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and Kacee like this.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 1:34 pm

Programs: Former UA GS, demoted to lowly 1K MM
Originally Posted by EWR764
Under the AD, P&W will perform the tests at its facility in Connecticut, and released a statement saying that it is requesting all affected parts be sent to their facility to comply with the AD. The issue is that only P&W technicians have the training to identify the potential failures using the TAI technology... although that training (specifically the insufficiency thereof) was also the subject of March 2019 AD in the wake of the last UA PW4000 failure SFO-HNL in 2018. If it can be demonstrated that other repair stations have the capability and training to performt this inspection, it's possible that the AD may be revised, but for now everything is going to Connecticut.
As a layperson, it sure seems like disassembling the blades from every engine, packaging and shipping them to CT, waiting for an available technician/bench time slot, and then doing everything again in reverse would take a significant amount of time. And that's assuming no further issues are discovered during the examinations.

Have to assume the P&W 777 flight I'm supposed to be on in under three weeks will not actually be operated by that aircraft type.
EWR764 likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
My flight to IAD next Thursday is still showing a 777-200, but zero’ s out in F. My Magic 8 Ball said “Ask again later” to my question of “Upgauge or downgauge?”
Old Feb 24, 2021, 2:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cesco.g
'

Per current AD:

"This AD requires performing a TAI inspection for cracks in certain 1st-stage LPC blades and removal of those blades that fail inspection"

It will be interesting to learn what timelines that requires, and if other ADs will follow.
The FAA answers that in the same AD
The FAA considers this AD to be an interim action. The FAA anticipates that further AD action will follow
Originally Posted by chicago747
Currently have an ORD-MCO flight for late next week supposedly being operated by a 777-200. We are in first, and don't really care if we get swapped to a non-lie flat seat if they change to a single aisle bird. What we do care about is being downgraded into a completely packed coach cabin. At this point do you think UA would allow us to change to the earlier flight with NO fare difference? I have no UA status and never seem to have much luck with the non-US bases agents at UA....so hate calling them unless i absolutely have to.
While you can try, likely until "something happens" -- until UA actully makes a change, you will get nowhere. The downgrade to coach is a most unlikely occurrence (are you paided or award or upgraded).

Originally Posted by SS255
My flight to IAD next Thursday is still showing a 777-200, but zero’ s out in F. My Magic 8 Ball said “Ask again later” to my question of “Upgauge or downgauge?”
Your Magic 8 Ball is pretty accurate.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 24, 2021 at 2:42 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 24, 2021, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
MX hangars strongly preferred.

Old Feb 24, 2021, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by chicago747
Currently have an ORD-MCO flight for late next week supposedly being operated by a 777-200. We are in first (paid,) and don't really care if we get swapped to a non-lie flat seat if they change to a single aisle bird. What we do care about is being downgraded into a completely packed coach cabin. At this point do you think UA would allow us to change to the earlier flight with NO fare difference? I have no UA status and never seem to have much luck with the non-US bases agents at UA....so hate calling them unless i absolutely have to.
If you are on the March 6 flight, we are on the same flight. Really liked the 777 option so we could sit 4 across in economy and not sit with unknown passengers. They have stopped listing the flight for sale, which tells me it is very unlikely to remain a 777-2.

I looked at the seat maps tonight and looks like there are 210 seats full in economy. Plus unknown number in first.

I can see this playing out many ways:

Switch to a 787-8, which would be great.
Switch to a 767-3, which would be ok.
Switch to a 757-3, which would stink in seating configuration but be cool because it’s a rarer bird.
Switch to a 757-2, which would be kind of ok.
Switch to a 737-9, which would suck in every way imaginable.

Any of you experts see any of these as impossible or more likely?
Old Feb 24, 2021, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Dan_Krz

I looked at the seat maps tonight and looks like there are 210 seats full in economy. Plus unknown number in first.

I can see this playing out many ways:

Switch to a 737-9, which would suck in every way imaginable.
For a 2 hour flight - that bad? My LAS-SFO flight last Monday was a 737-900, I thought it was perfectly fine - I enjoyed the DirecTV
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
For a 2 hour flight - that bad? My LAS-SFO flight last Monday was a 737-900, I thought it was perfectly fine - I enjoyed the DirecTV
Got switched to a 757-3 so question is moot. Thanks

Last edited by Dan_Krz; Feb 24, 2021 at 5:27 pm
Old Feb 24, 2021, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
UA has now zeroed inventory on my March 6 flight SFO-OGG, which is supposed to be on a Polarized 772, and has basically pulled the 772 flight (1273) off the market in subsequent weeks as well.

Given the slack in UA's long-haul fleet, I will be unbelievably pissed if they cancel or downgrade us.
It seems like UA could be planning to shift a number of pmCO GE-powered 772s onto the Hawaii routes that were served by pmUA PW-powered 772s. I see a number of flights on the same date that are normally scheduled for 777HDs now showing Polaris seatmaps (e.g., 1158 LAX-HNL or 1736 DEN-OGG); however, they remain zeroed out in J even with half the seats unassigned. This seat map movement on other 777HD flights, combined with the booked load on your SFO-OGG flight (every J seat is assigned), suggests that it will remain a Polaris 772 (albeit a pmCO version without individual air vents) or get upgauged to a 77W. Still too early to tell, but if I had to make a call today on what equipment will operate that flight, pmCO 772 or 77W would be the call.
Kacee likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Originally Posted by Dan_Krz
If you are on the March 6 flight, we are on the same flight. Really liked the 777 option so we could sit 4 across in economy and not sit with unknown passengers. They have stopped listing the flight for sale, which tells me it is very unlikely to remain a 777-2.
You may just be the nly person who likes the UA 4-across section on the HD configured 777.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by roadman3313
Novice here. What is the best way to try to see what type of plane is assigned for a given trip knowing that it is always subject to change up until departure? I have a flight from EWR-SFO that is coming up over the weekend that was scheduled for a 772. From what I can tell the seat map was always showing 18 rows in J so a swap to a 77W was always possible. Not sure if that is what they are most likely to use given the circumstances or if the 777-200ER are also being used on the route. I know it is all a toss up but just curious. Booked row 9 which I assume is pretty much the same in either variant.
Even before the UA328 incident, they have been showing 772 for EWR/SFO flights but assigning 773 instead. Especially given current circumstances, I think it's almost certain that you'll get 773.
roadman3313 likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Is there any chance at all that UA decides to permanently retire all the PW-powered 772s, even though quite a few of them underwent Polaris retrofits not too long ago?
Old Feb 24, 2021, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Is there any chance at all that UA decides to permanently retire all the PW-powered 772s, even though quite a few of them underwent Polaris retrofits not too long ago?
There is certainly a chance, but I'd doubt it. Most airlines like UA buy "power by the hour" so I'd bet that P&W or some bank that owns the engines is likely picking up the tab for at least some of the costs ...ciated with the grounding.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.