Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GS Qualifying for 2019 Discussion / Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2018, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

GS Qualifying for 2019 Discussion

This will be a discussion thread, for discussing the needed qualifications and timing of notification.
For posing formal notifications (but no discussion), use this thread Global Services 2019 Notifications (ONLY)
2019 GS Timeline
First requal notifications came out on 6 Dec 2018
First-time notifications started about 3 Jan 2019
Numerous reports that all regular notifications will be out by 11 Jan 2019
Initial successful reconsideration appeals reported 15 Jan 2019
First reports of challanges15 Jan 2019
For discussion of GS benefits, please use Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2018
For 2017 qualifications, see the 2017 thread and for 2018, see the 2018 thread

To find your PQDs if >than $12K
Go to
MileagePlus activity since my last statement and it is in the "Account summary" table at the top of the page.

Note this is not just the UA operated PQDs (which is commonly believed to be what matters for GS) but rather your total PQDs.

Definitions

BIS is actual scheduled flight distance (Great Circle Mileage Distance -- GCM) between airports with 500 mile minimum for elites. This is the standard used for Lifetime miles also. Those flying mostly sub-500 segments sometimes prefer to not use the minimum rule.

The definition for CPM is a bit vaguer, especially since CPM is used in multiple different situations.

Believe for the purpose of this thread, GS qualification, folks are using

PQD CPM = UA PQDs / UA BIS

Note there is no direct evidence UA uses this CPM number for GS Qualification but it is a number FTers like to use.

As for BIS, UA does not report this number your account and it needs to be manually tracked.

One way is to make use that PQMs are based on BIS but there may be a multiplier / bonus for high end fares. If always in 2x PQMs, you could divide by 2 to get BIS.

rwsteelers had a good method for determining UA BIS -- the change in Lifetime Miles from the first of the year.

Originally Posted by sgopal2
Hello:

To help with collection of qualification metrics for global services, I created a Google Doc. This will be useful for future members. For ease of use, I created a form which feeds into a spreadsheet. The spreadsheet and form does not require a google account and is free to use.

Similar spreadsheets were created in years past, so I'm hoping to continue this tradition. Please take the time to enter your stats into the spreadsheet. Many thanks

LINK to entry form:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1SYm...xRKZ_EUD8/edit

View responses here ( read only ):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Print Wikipost

GS Qualifying for 2019 Discussion / Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Originally Posted by nomad420
It sounds like the PQD of $61K is blended UA and *A metal right? I have never seen someone with greater than a $60K spend not get the invite, this would clearly be a case of appealing to MP. I have had PQD's of $90+K and not make it because much/most travel was *A and complained about not getting the GS invite multiple times here over the years. I think my line was "why do they call it GLOBAL service if they don't consider the *A flights". Check your actually UA metal spend and good luck.
I think he/she is saying that of the $61K PQD, $13K was with *A. If true that takes us to $48K PQD and I think the last two years this poster had decent spend. UA GS Team Agent said review looked good, although this poster is not a re-qualifier but a potentially new GS member. Usually $50k UA PQD is the bar for the minimum to initiate GS membership, but hopefully unitedflyer91 will get the invite. Imagine we will find out on 15th!
Old Jan 12, 2019, 4:53 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by unitedflyer91
I did not qualify after remarkable stats..pretty heartbroken I get to appeal to the United "judge".

231k PQMs (United Metal Intl with 95% of booking in Polaris Domestic/Intl)
61k PQD
87 PQS

If you are close with the airline or can nudge a 21 year old flying 400k miles in 2019, a team of 9 exclusively flying United and realistically make that an easier travel experience without going to JetSuiteX, please continue the Holiday season and PM me.

Update: I called the 1K desk and they appealed me. I'll know by the 15th with an email. If I'm still not accepted, there's a 2nd round of appeals where I proudly get to say I'm a large social media influencer (100m YouTube views monthly with over 4 billion views/20 million subscribers produced since my company's existence). If that doesn't work, I don't know what to do and they said my only large flight of 2018 ($13k in partner PQMs via Lufthansa - couldn't force client to book anything else, I always try to have them follow the United regime but travel agencies you know?) was a possible deterrent, however Dawn (United 1K Team Services) said things are looking good.
I'm a little confused. You're saying that of your $61K PQD, $48K were on United aircraft, and $13K were on Lufthansa?
Old Jan 12, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Alaska Gold 75k, Marriott Amb
dumb q - i was just going through the gs benefits - i noticed the Polaris lounge "benefit" - "United Global Services members are welcome to enter whenever traveling in United Polaris. "

How is this a benefit? anyone traveling in Polaris, regardless of status, can use the lounge...
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by iainmc
dumb q - i was just going through the gs benefits - i noticed the Polaris lounge "benefit" - "United Global Services members are welcome to enter whenever traveling in United Polaris. "

How is this a benefit? anyone traveling in Polaris, regardless of status, can use the lounge...
Exactly. It’s nothing. The advent of Polaris is actually a cutback for GS, with the elimination of GFL access when flying business.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj

Exactly. It’s nothing. The advent of Polaris is actually a cutback for GS, with the elimination of GFL access when flying business.
Agree with you in a strict sense, but I find the Polaris lounges to blow away the GFL lounges in almost every aspect but one: privacy. The old GFL lounges were/are so much more quiet. And I will miss LHR GFL when/if it goes away.
manstein58 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by katan
Agree with you in a strict sense, but I find the Polaris lounges to blow away the GFL lounges in almost every aspect but one: privacy. The old GFL lounges were/are so much more quiet. And I will miss LHR GFL when/if it goes away.
I certainly mean LHR GFL above all others. At least we finally have more than one PL.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:53 am

Programs: Marriot LT Titanium/Hertz PC/UA 1MM 1K
Originally Posted by riphamilton
i'm half watching the lakers-jazz game right now on ESPN (national broadcast), and i swear i hear van gundy talk about GS. i rewind, and indeed he was. his rant is as follows (1st, 2:30):

ETA: i found a clip posted to twitter. no idea if twitter video embeds properly, but here's the tweet:

https://twitter.com/FullCourtPres19/...31815478546432
That's awesome.. Now I don't feel so bad as I'm not alone!! Ugh it was a fun year.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 9:46 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
Global Services Reconsideration

Will United offer Global Services reconsideration for 2019? I have $47K PQD and 234K PQM. Thought it would have been a shoe in, but the only mail I got was the 1K package.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 14, 2019 at 10:00 pm Reason: Moved to thread where query is being discussed
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:04 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, banshee0911

Originally Posted by banshee0911
Will United offer Global Services reconsideration for 2019? I have $47K PQD and 234K PQM. Thought it would have been a shoe in, but the only mail I got was the 1K package.
Was all the $47K on UA? Even still there are other sub-$50K folks posted upthread that were disappointed.

The "word" is a formal reconsideration is possible once the GS invitation process ends on 15th January 2019
Old Jan 14, 2019, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
Originally Posted by riphamilton
i'm half watching the lakers-jazz game right now on ESPN (national broadcast), and i swear i hear van gundy talk about GS. i rewind, and indeed he was. his rant is as follows (1st, 2:30):

ETA: i found a clip posted to twitter. no idea if twitter video embeds properly, but here's the tweet:

https://twitter.com/FullCourtPres19/...31815478546432
Kind of hilarious and shocking.That kind of water cooler talk is typically had with colleagues of the same ilk. Not sure it resonates with the average NBA viewer, or even others working the broadcast/network.

And quite a run at a totally unrelated topic. I wonder if United took the bait?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:58 am

Programs: 1K, Mariott Ambassador
I put in for reconsideration on Saturday Jan 12th. On mystatus.united.com it was updated today that I was denied.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:08 am

Programs: UA 1MM GS, Delta Skymiles Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Put in reconsideration on Friday, this morning found a 3 month, 15000$ challenge on mystatus.united.com. Delighted- I already have in excess of this planned from 2/1 to 5/1
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by RAPUAFlyer
My Stats (for UA metal only)...
BIS --- 87,452
PQD --- $ 41,890
PQM --- 144,992
$/BIS --- $ 0.48
$/PQM --- $ 0.29
Upgrades $4,100

GS for last 3 or 4 years, requal initially denied. I sent the stats to the GS desk and Mystatus was changed to a 2019 GS invitation last night.
Originally Posted by rp540
Was GS for 2016 and 2017 years with large spends the previous years. 2018 was lower due to job change. Denied GS this year but asked for reconsideration. My status was changed to 2019 GS invitation.

2018 Totals

Premier Qualifying Miles - 121,401Premier Qualifying Segment - 66

Premier Qualifying Dollars - $35,846

EWR Base
Wow that's two relatively quick and successful appeals.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
do you get to pick the months, or do they specify 1/1-3/30?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by villox
Wow that's two relatively quick and successful appeals.
And pretty low PQDs! I had $36K and I didn't even consider it nor did I get the invite. I have had years in the low $40K range and never got an invitation. My nephew got declined with $48K and has applied for reconsideration but still pending. Both of us out of SFO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.