Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GS Qualifying for 2019 Discussion / Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2018, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

GS Qualifying for 2019 Discussion

This will be a discussion thread, for discussing the needed qualifications and timing of notification.
For posing formal notifications (but no discussion), use this thread Global Services 2019 Notifications (ONLY)
2019 GS Timeline
First requal notifications came out on 6 Dec 2018
First-time notifications started about 3 Jan 2019
Numerous reports that all regular notifications will be out by 11 Jan 2019
Initial successful reconsideration appeals reported 15 Jan 2019
First reports of challanges15 Jan 2019
For discussion of GS benefits, please use Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2018
For 2017 qualifications, see the 2017 thread and for 2018, see the 2018 thread

To find your PQDs if >than $12K
Go to
MileagePlus activity since my last statement and it is in the "Account summary" table at the top of the page.

Note this is not just the UA operated PQDs (which is commonly believed to be what matters for GS) but rather your total PQDs.

Definitions

BIS is actual scheduled flight distance (Great Circle Mileage Distance -- GCM) between airports with 500 mile minimum for elites. This is the standard used for Lifetime miles also. Those flying mostly sub-500 segments sometimes prefer to not use the minimum rule.

The definition for CPM is a bit vaguer, especially since CPM is used in multiple different situations.

Believe for the purpose of this thread, GS qualification, folks are using

PQD CPM = UA PQDs / UA BIS

Note there is no direct evidence UA uses this CPM number for GS Qualification but it is a number FTers like to use.

As for BIS, UA does not report this number your account and it needs to be manually tracked.

One way is to make use that PQMs are based on BIS but there may be a multiplier / bonus for high end fares. If always in 2x PQMs, you could divide by 2 to get BIS.

rwsteelers had a good method for determining UA BIS -- the change in Lifetime Miles from the first of the year.

Originally Posted by sgopal2
Hello:

To help with collection of qualification metrics for global services, I created a Google Doc. This will be useful for future members. For ease of use, I created a form which feeds into a spreadsheet. The spreadsheet and form does not require a google account and is free to use.

Similar spreadsheets were created in years past, so I'm hoping to continue this tradition. Please take the time to enter your stats into the spreadsheet. Many thanks

LINK to entry form:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1SYm...xRKZ_EUD8/edit

View responses here ( read only ):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Print Wikipost

GS Qualifying for 2019 Discussion / Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 3 MM, CLEAR
Originally Posted by nomad420
And pretty low PQDs! I had $36K and I didn't even consider it nor did I get the invite. I have had years in the low $40K range and never got an invitation. My nephew got declined with $48K and has applied for reconsideration but still pending. Both of us out of SFO.
Of course, we do not know what the "magic formula" might be that United uses - and we often merely look at PQD. However, in my case (above), I contributed to United's coffers - $41,890 via PQD and $4,100 via paid upgrades - all to fly 87,452 BIS miles. I would think that $0.53/BIS miles must come into play in some manner (apart from lowering my bank account).
Old Jan 15, 2019, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Jeez they’re just giving GS away based on stats from the other thread
Old Jan 15, 2019, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RAPUAFlyer
...and $4,100 via paid upgrades...
I'm assuming these were all used on yourself, correct?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by RAPUAFlyer
Of course, we do not know what the "magic formula" might be that United uses - and we often merely look at PQD. However, in my case (above), I contributed to United's coffers - $41,890 via PQD and $4,100 via paid upgrades - all to fly 87,452 BIS miles. I would think that $0.53/BIS miles must come into play in some manner (apart from lowering my bank account).
I also think RAP has something to do with it but at this point who knows anymore.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by BayAreaTrvler
Notified today that I didn't make it this year, after several years as GS. SFO based, PQM of 270 (UA BIS 207), and PQD of $59k (UA BIS $43k), nearly identical to last year, and the year before. Already a million miler, on the way to 2.
Are you saying actual United metal was $43k?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 3 MM, CLEAR
Originally Posted by AugustusM
I'm assuming these were all used on yourself, correct?
Correct. My consulting contracts typically allow up to "M Fare", so I often pay the upgrade myself.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott, AMEX
Boo. No GS re-qualification for 2019 despite 175k PQM > 48k PQD (DEN based) and a 30+ year MileagePlus Member. Numbers for 2017 were almost identical and I qualified for 2018. Those *A flights in Europe, Middle East and Asia kill my UA metal miles but don't have any choice (UA doesn't go where I need to go). Emirates is looking better this year. Initially, I saw the challenge offer, but now that's gone...interesting.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 1:08 am

Programs: UA 1MM GS, Delta Skymiles Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Same here. The challenge offer that was there before is now gone and replaced with a decline. Come on, United, what’s up here ?!

Edit: called GS line and agent looked up, saw the reconsideration history and then said that on her system she could see that I had an active challenge with the exact conditions I had seen previously. Hopefully just a glitch in mystatus.united.com....

Last edited by rieuwa; Jan 17, 2019 at 1:21 am
Old Jan 17, 2019, 5:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by rieuwa
Same here. The challenge offer that was there before is now gone and replaced with a decline. Come on, United, what’s up here ?!

Edit: called GS line and agent looked up, saw the reconsideration history and then said that on her system she could see that I had an active challenge with the exact conditions I had seen previously. Hopefully just a glitch in mystatus.united.com....
Mystatus is a bit awry in January (traditionally).... once we get through the month, everything should look normal and accurate.

You will drop to 1K while you are in the challenge phase, and if you satisfy the requirements, your GS status will reinstate immediately upon the stats posting to your account.

Good luck! .... and I wish you better luck than I had with my challenge last year (fail).
Old Jan 17, 2019, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Mystatus is a bit awry in January (traditionally).... once we get through the month, everything should look normal and accurate.
So as of right now if you still show GS but have not gotten the 2019 invite would it be save to assume you also have also not been definitely denied the invite for 2019? Others above who failed to re qualify had stated that there status flip to 1K (or whatever level) in Mystatus. In previous years it seemed like by the end of Jan everyone knew where they stood.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA 1MM GS, Delta Skymiles Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jjmoore

You will drop to 1K while you are in the challenge phase, and if you satisfy the requirements, your GS status will reinstate immediately upon the stats posting to your account.

Good luck! .... and I wish you better luck than I had with my challenge last year (fail).
Thanks! Yes indeed- mystatus reverted back to the offered Challenge today and got the email notification. Look forward, if all goes well, to being back in in April
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:48 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by nomad420
So as of right now if you still show GS but have not gotten the 2019 invite would it be save to assume you also have also not been definitely denied the invite for 2019? Others above who failed to re qualify had stated that there status flip to 1K (or whatever level) in Mystatus. In previous years it seemed like by the end of Jan everyone knew where they stood.
I still don't think everything is straightened out. On my app, I show my electronic GS card that expires 01/2019, which is incorrect. The Mystatus page, however, does appear to be up to date, and it shows my kit pending 4-6 weeks.

If I were you, I would file an appeal if you have not been reinvited.... and I would simply send an email to GS to get that done.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: UA Global Services -- Marriott Ambassador Elite - AA Gold
For what it's worth I qualified for GS the first time on the 11th this year and the card in the app also shows Valid Thru 01/2019. I assume it's a glitch.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tmo454
For what it's worth I qualified for GS the first time on the 11th this year and the card in the app also shows Valid Thru 01/2019. I assume it's a glitch.
It should update soon, January is wonky on the United site.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 7:10 pm

I emailed GS and received the challenge (15K spend on UA metal in a 3 month span), but to be frank, I probably won’t meet it.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 20, 2019 at 9:56 pm Reason: Inappropriate request removed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.