Old Oct 29, 2016, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: getagb
Global Services Qualifying Discussion- 2017

Use Global Services 2017 Notifications (ONLY) to report your actual notification. Here is a form for people to fill out once they receive their Global Services qualification notification:

Originally Posted by Global Services Google Form
PLEASE ONLY FILL OUT THE FORM ONCE YOU HAVE QUALIFIED FOR GLOBAL SERVICES!!

Follow the form through and fill out as much as you can. There are a few required fields and a few optional fields. The more data you can provide, the better off we will be for building a prediction model.

You can view the results here:

Originally Posted by Global Services Data 2017
I made the spreadsheet uneditable this year because last year the data became almost unusable. Feel free to copy the data into another spreadsheet to form your own analysis. You will see some nice stats on the "Statistics" tab below.

To help standardize inputs ( and based on reports only UA operated flights are considered for GS), please make reference to
UA PQDs (only PQDs earned in UA operated flights). It takes a little work using the data in Account Summary Details to remove any non-UA operated PQDs.

Likewise UA PQMs, UA BIS and UA CPM.

IF YOU WERE DENIED GLOBAL SERVICES FOR 2017, PLEASE FILL OUT THIS FORM

Originally Posted by Global Services Denial Form
The data from this form will be populated in the same spreadsheet above. There will be indicators on qualifiers and denials within the data (coming soon).

BIS is actual scheduled flight distance (Great Circle Mileage Distance -- GCM) between airports with 500 mile minimum for elites. This is the standard used for Lifetime miles also. Those flying mostly sub-500 segments sometimes prefer to not use the minimum rule.

The definition for CPM is a bit vaguer, especially since CPM is used in multiple different situations.

Believe for the purpose of this thread, GS qualification, folks are using

PQD CPM = UA PQDs / UA BIS

Note there is no direct evidence UA uses this CPM number for GS Qualification but it is a number FTers like to use.

As for BIS, UA does not report this number your account and it needs to be manually tracked.

One way is to make use that PQMs are based on BIS but there may be a multiplier / bonus for high end fares. If always in 2x PQMs, you could divide by 2 to get BIS.

rwsteelers had a good method for determining UA BIS -- the change in Lifetime Miles from the first of the year.

To find your PQDs if >than $12K
Go to MileagePlus activity since my last statement and it is in the "Account summary" table at the top of the page.

Note this is not just the UA operated PQDs (which is commonly believed to be what matters for GS) but rather your total PQDs.

Thread from 2016 - Global Services Qualifications 2016
Print Wikipost

2017 GS Qualifying Discussion

Old Oct 17, 2016, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Global Services, Hilton Diamond, National Executive
2017 GS Qualifying Discussion

Hi there.

I've been a 1K for many years and am a 1 MM.

This year I'm at:

226K PQM
61K PQD - All United Metal
120K Actual Miles Flown

Out of LAX

One trip to HAM in December plus maybe a couple more trips.

Chances?

Thanks!
Old Oct 17, 2016, 9:46 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by CabinChris
Hi there.

I've been a 1K for many years and am a 1 MM.

This year I'm at:

226K PQM
61K PQD - All United Metal
120K Actual Miles Flown

Out of LAX

One trip to HAM in December plus maybe a couple more trips.

Chances?

Thanks!
Looks pretty good! I think your chances are quite high
Old Oct 17, 2016, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
So far this year I have about 225k PQM on 42K PQD (mostly F, D, J, P, Z fares), with about $10k to 15k projected spend the rest of the year (all UA metal). I had been 1K for several years (and a 1 MM) until a transfer within my company 5 years ago took me to Southern Louisiana, where my travel was on WN. Now that I am back in Houston, I am back on UA. I know from the forum there are other factors to consider for GS, such a influence within a company or group. I am a manager for a global company and my team is responsible for major projects around the world. All of my team travel internationally, and some of them travel more than I do. Is this worth bring to UA's attentions and, if so, any suggestions of how I do so? Many thanks, fellow flyers!

Last edited by BeanTownBoy; Oct 17, 2016 at 8:44 pm
Old Oct 17, 2016, 9:21 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Although not GS, but having followed these threads and UA's historic actions, which can change, I'd say that if you are over the $50K mark, together with your other travel patterns you describe, you'll have a very good chance for GS solely on your own travel and spend. (See the spreadsheet in this thread's Wikipost, scroll to those based in IAH and note their numbers.)

The corporate manager/influencer category is a separate way that persons not doing lucrative spend on UA at your level can be awarded GS. Usually, it's as a corporate travel manager who clearly directs high level spend of others to GS levels.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 10:38 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by BeanTownBoy
So far this year I have about 225k PQM on 42K PQD (mostly F, D, J, P, Z fares), with about $10k to 15k projected spend the rest of the year (all UA metal). I had been 1K for several years (and a 1 MM) until a transfer within my company 5 years ago took me to Southern Louisiana, where my travel was on WN. Now that I am back in Houston, I am back on UA. I know from the forum there are other factors to consider for GS, such a influence within a company or group. I am a manager for a global company and my team is responsible for major projects around the world. All of my team travel internationally, and some of them travel more than I do. Is this worth bring to UA's attentions and, if so, any suggestions of how I do so? Many thanks, fellow flyers!
Unless you are a travel manager and can sign a contract with United and commit to a level of spend, I doubt it will matter. I've had jobs with hundreds of employees traveling and watched some of them get GS with lower spend than me while I only made 1K. Although this was under Smisek, United didn't really care.

My spend over the last three years was above $150K and they gave me GS this year for the first time. I suspect it was because I was over 55K last year and had significant spend in past years, but who knows.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
@Ocn Vw 1K,@bldr1K--It is hard to sort through all the posts to distill information and form a view (especially with all those who otherwise would seem to qualify, yet don't). Thank for your clarifications! I am keeping my fingers crossed!

Last edited by BeanTownBoy; Oct 18, 2016 at 8:47 pm
Old Oct 19, 2016, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA GS/MM, MR PPE/LTG, ‎TSA Pre✓, NEXUS, APEC BTC, UKBF RT, CLEAR, DXB E-GATE
Originally Posted by BeanTownBoy
@Ocn Vw 1K,@bldr1K--It is hard to sort through all the posts to distill information and form a view (especially with all those who otherwise would seem to qualify, yet don't). Thank for your clarifications! I am keeping my fingers crossed!
I was GS for 2 years in a row, and had to change gigs, which meant a change in travel patterns, I went from GS to 1K to Gold, and this year I'm back to 1K, with a 40K spend @ 155K PQM, I'll likely end the year between 180K - 200K PQM and likely 48K - 52K in spend. That will put me right at the edge of qualifying. The 2 years that I did make GS, I flew UA almost every week (domestically), and ended up with about 50K - 55K in spend and around 110K - 120K miles flown. I surmise that UA also looks at how much (often) you fly with them on a yearly basis alongside with spend.

Last edited by IAHFlyBoi; Oct 19, 2016 at 6:01 pm
Old Oct 20, 2016, 9:39 pm

I have been flying United for years but never really focused on getting status. Finally decided this year to consolidate on UA to get highest status possible.

Unfortunately for me didn't decide this until Q2 so missed a couple of around the world where I flew other airlines.

Anyway, wondering if I will make GS with the following:

PQM: 190,926
PQD: 50,675 (43,488 on UA metal)
PQS: 49

Based out of SFO.

First post! Love this site and interested in thoughts on my question.

Brian
Old Oct 20, 2016, 9:53 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bslepko
I have been flying United for years but never really focused on getting status. Finally decided this year to consolidate on UA to get highest status possible.

Unfortunately for me didn't decide this until Q2 so missed a couple of around the world where I flew other airlines.

Anyway, wondering if I will make GS with the following:

PQM: 190,926
PQD: 50,675 (43,488 on UA metal)
PQS: 49

Based out of SFO.

First post! Love this site and interested in thoughts on my question.

Brian
$43.5k seems low from SFO (generally regarded as one of the hardest cities to get GS), but if this is just 2 quarters, you seem to have a great chance at it next year with a full year of spend.

Also, welcome to FT bslepko!
Old Oct 20, 2016, 10:35 pm

Thanks for the welcome United747!

Flying my family to Tokyo from SFO in upper deck of 747 over Thanksgiving. Wanted to give my son the experience before it goes away.

We'll see what happens on GS.

Brian
Old Oct 21, 2016, 7:41 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by bslepko
Thanks for the welcome United747!

Flying my family to Tokyo from SFO in upper deck of 747 over Thanksgiving. Wanted to give my son the experience before it goes away.

We'll see what happens on GS.

Brian
that will be a great treat for Thanksgiving!
Old Oct 23, 2016, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
2017 GS Qualifications

Tis the season.... when do we expect the initial 2017 qualifications to go out?

I am completing my 4th year and this is my biggest year so far, just by a hair....

IAH based and will end the year with approximately:
255,000 PQM
$65,000 PQD
77 PQS
70% intl Biz, 30% domestic F.

Last edited by avi8tir; Oct 23, 2016 at 2:59 pm
Old Oct 23, 2016, 2:08 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by avi8tir
Tis the season.... when do we expect the initial 2017 qualifications to go out?

I am completing my 4th year and this is my biggest year so far, just by a hair....

IAH based and will end the year with approximately:
255,000 PQM
$65,000 PQD
77 segments

70% intl Biz, 30% domestic F.
77 actual segments or PQS?
Old Oct 23, 2016, 2:31 pm

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
I would say 'no problem' requalifying, it's all about the money. Somewhere I read recently that 15% of UA flyers generate 50% of the revenue. My guess is UA wants to keep you loyal to the brand. Good luck.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
well its getting to be that time of year where so many of us wonder if we will get the invite or requalify. I'll start, based on my estimates, I am going to finish the year with:

PQD: $47-48k
195,000 miles
140 segments

question 1, out of DEN will I requal? I assume after lasts years lower initial quals and requals, I am in, thoughts?
Question 2. Would it be worth it you as a GS to get to the 200k mark? I am in LIH in late December and could easily come back through NRT to get over the top. are the 2GPU's and 2 RPU's worth it? I am taking the whole week off anyways, so I am not concerned about having to get back to DEN the last week of the year.
manstein58 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.