Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GS Qualifying for 2019 Discussion / Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2018, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

GS Qualifying for 2019 Discussion

This will be a discussion thread, for discussing the needed qualifications and timing of notification.
For posing formal notifications (but no discussion), use this thread Global Services 2019 Notifications (ONLY)
2019 GS Timeline
First requal notifications came out on 6 Dec 2018
First-time notifications started about 3 Jan 2019
Numerous reports that all regular notifications will be out by 11 Jan 2019
Initial successful reconsideration appeals reported 15 Jan 2019
First reports of challanges15 Jan 2019
For discussion of GS benefits, please use Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2018
For 2017 qualifications, see the 2017 thread and for 2018, see the 2018 thread

To find your PQDs if >than $12K
Go to
MileagePlus activity since my last statement and it is in the "Account summary" table at the top of the page.

Note this is not just the UA operated PQDs (which is commonly believed to be what matters for GS) but rather your total PQDs.

Definitions

BIS is actual scheduled flight distance (Great Circle Mileage Distance -- GCM) between airports with 500 mile minimum for elites. This is the standard used for Lifetime miles also. Those flying mostly sub-500 segments sometimes prefer to not use the minimum rule.

The definition for CPM is a bit vaguer, especially since CPM is used in multiple different situations.

Believe for the purpose of this thread, GS qualification, folks are using

PQD CPM = UA PQDs / UA BIS

Note there is no direct evidence UA uses this CPM number for GS Qualification but it is a number FTers like to use.

As for BIS, UA does not report this number your account and it needs to be manually tracked.

One way is to make use that PQMs are based on BIS but there may be a multiplier / bonus for high end fares. If always in 2x PQMs, you could divide by 2 to get BIS.

rwsteelers had a good method for determining UA BIS -- the change in Lifetime Miles from the first of the year.

Originally Posted by sgopal2
Hello:

To help with collection of qualification metrics for global services, I created a Google Doc. This will be useful for future members. For ease of use, I created a form which feeds into a spreadsheet. The spreadsheet and form does not require a google account and is free to use.

Similar spreadsheets were created in years past, so I'm hoping to continue this tradition. Please take the time to enter your stats into the spreadsheet. Many thanks

LINK to entry form:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1SYm...xRKZ_EUD8/edit

View responses here ( read only ):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Print Wikipost

GS Qualifying for 2019 Discussion / Questions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2018, 6:17 pm

Thank you. Sorry if this was improperly posted by me. I’m a novice on this site and trying to figure out how to navigate around here.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by cimay
I’ve seen other posts with acronyms: BIS and CPM. I don’t know what these are? Can someone help me out here. Friends of mine who ARE GS are surprised I did not qualify for 2019. They may have over $50k in PQD, but far fewer PQM and PQS.

Is the fact that I don’t fly internationally the reason I don’t qualify?
If anything, this would help them, not hurt them. The less you fly for the same PQD, the better a customer you are for United. (There is some debate whether PQM/BIS matters at all for GS, but if it were to matter, fewer would be better.)

Amounts less than $50k are rare for first-time qualifiers, and those (re-)qualifying for GS on less than 50k spend typically have significant spend in the two prior years as well.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by cimay
I’ve been 1K for about 5 years. I only fly domestic, and pretty much coach, as required by my corporate travel policy.
In 2018, I reached the following
PQM: 210,000
PQS: 119
PQD: $42,000
I am EWR based, and as stated above, pretty much fly domestic only.

I’ve seen other posts with acronyms: BIS and CPM. I don’t know what these are? Can someone help me out here. Friends of mine who ARE GS are surprised I did not qualify for 2019. They may have over $50k in PQD, but far fewer PQM and PQS.

Is the fact that I don’t fly internationally the reason I don’t qualify?

Thanks for any words of advice.
Also note that 1K -> GS qualification notifications will start going out later this week. This usually starts around Jan 5, and continues through the middle of the month.

$42K is somewhat low, but if you dont hear anything in a week, you can file an appeal and have a second set of eyes put on your stats.
cimay likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 9:36 pm

Programs: United 1K
I doubt I will qualify:

80k BIS miles on United metal
120k BIS miles on *A metal

170k PQM on United metal
250k PQM miles on *A metal

$30k PQD on United metal
​​​​​​$​45k PQD on United ticket stock on *A metal

SFO based
Almost all flights were in paid international F/J.

I also had about $20k spend on other *A carriers. If I concentrated my spend on United metal, I would probably qualify for GS, but I prefer to fly ANA/Lufthansa when possible.

Last edited by Resonant Programmer; Jan 1, 2019 at 8:28 am Reason: typo
Old Jan 1, 2019, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by GG930
Final numbers for the year

PQM: 204,930
PQD: 57.5
PQD: $50,286 (49,200 on United metal, others on shot Lufthansa connecting flights)
these are prettt much my exact same numbers. EWR based. Just under $50k on UA metal about 51.5 PQD total
Old Jan 1, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by Resonant Programmer
I doubt I will qualify:

80k BIS miles on United metal
120k BIS miles on *A metal

170k PQM on United metal
250k PQM miles on United metal

$30k PQD on United metal
​​​​​​$​45k PQD on United ticket stock on *A metal

SFO based
Almost all flights were in paid international F/J.

I also had about $20k spend on other *A carriers. If I concentrated my spend on United metal, I would probably qualify for GS, but I prefer to fly ANA/Lufthansa when possible.
If I would be in your shoes, I would start flying UA metal. With more and more Polaris mods in place, the probability of getting a good J product is higher.

If you have been flying LH to upgrade into their F product, that's another story. From my experience myself and with colleagues, F space is very hit and miss unless you are flying a more unusual route. F upgrades on LH out of SF are probably very hard to come by. It was tricky getting them out of Denver... so I imagine SFO is far more difficult.

GS is really nice from a peace of mind standpoint, and having top priority for upgrades on award tickets and any revenue tickets in Y.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 8:26 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
Is the status updated already for 2019? Mine still says G.S..
Old Jan 1, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ZZYZXROAD
Is the status updated already for 2019? Mine still says G.S..
Your current status remains in effect until January 31 (unless your new status is higher).

That said mystatus.united.com is currently (10:35 am US Eastern on January 1) telling me:

Our site is temporarily unavailable while we review all 2018 activity and update members’ status for 2019. Come back on January 1, 2019 to see any status changes, new benefits, and more. If you need immediate assistance, please contact us.
The fact that as of yesterday there was no info re: my Premier 1K kit shipping gives me some hope that I'm on the bubble.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.2 MM, AA Gold 1MM, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Gold
My status as of today has been downgraded to 1K from GS! It is on the website and on my app. Digital card shows 1K status thru 1/2019. Very strange since my GS status should have been good thru 1/2019.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by IAHMCI
My status as of today has been downgraded to 1K from GS! It is on the website and on my app. Digital card shows 1K status thru 1/2019. Very strange since my GS status should have been good thru 1/2019.
Has that happened to anyone else? Sounds like a bug to me...
Old Jan 1, 2019, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.2 MM, AA Gold 1MM, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Gold
The only thing that is different this year is I crossed 3MM. I guess they are serious about lifetime 1K!
My MM companion was still showing GS on the app.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by IAHMCI
The only thing that is different this year is I crossed 3MM. I guess they are serious about lifetime 1K!
My MM companion was still showing GS on the app.
I suspect an IT glitch there. If you are downgraded to 1K, it will happen on Feb 1. Probably something having to do with the 3MM barrier.... if I saw 1K printed on my boarding pass tomorrow in your case, then I would email GS right away and rectify the situation.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 7:01 pm

194k PQM
39.5 PQS
$21k PQD

I know this has no chance of GS in the US based on spend, but I am based in London and hear the requirements on PQD are different.

Most of my travel is UA metal transatlantic business. For some reason a lot of the spend went through group buys or whatever and the PQD are ineligible so this is where I sit.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by silverpig
194k PQM
39.5 PQS
$21k PQD

I know this has no chance of GS in the US based on spend, but I am based in London and hear the requirements on PQD are different.

Most of my travel is UA metal transatlantic business. For some reason a lot of the spend went through group buys or whatever and the PQD are ineligible so this is where I sit.
the lowest I have ever seen qualify is in the upper $30K PQD range. $21K doesn't have a prayer, especially given that next year's 1K qualification will require $15K.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by jjmoore
Final numbers are finally finally in for the year, and I landed at:

$52,600 PQD
143,000 BIS

2017: $26K PQD
2016: $49K PQD
2015: $68K PQD

Now MCO based, but was DEN based 75% of the year.

Hoping I get the bump back up to GS for 2019 (+ my Mrs. too since I will be 1MM in Jan!!!!)

Good luck in the game, everyone!!
And now for the specifics:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.