Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GS Qualifying for 2019 Discussion / Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2018, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

GS Qualifying for 2019 Discussion

This will be a discussion thread, for discussing the needed qualifications and timing of notification.
For posing formal notifications (but no discussion), use this thread Global Services 2019 Notifications (ONLY)
2019 GS Timeline
First requal notifications came out on 6 Dec 2018
First-time notifications started about 3 Jan 2019
Numerous reports that all regular notifications will be out by 11 Jan 2019
Initial successful reconsideration appeals reported 15 Jan 2019
First reports of challanges15 Jan 2019
For discussion of GS benefits, please use Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2018
For 2017 qualifications, see the 2017 thread and for 2018, see the 2018 thread

To find your PQDs if >than $12K
Go to
MileagePlus activity since my last statement and it is in the "Account summary" table at the top of the page.

Note this is not just the UA operated PQDs (which is commonly believed to be what matters for GS) but rather your total PQDs.

Definitions

BIS is actual scheduled flight distance (Great Circle Mileage Distance -- GCM) between airports with 500 mile minimum for elites. This is the standard used for Lifetime miles also. Those flying mostly sub-500 segments sometimes prefer to not use the minimum rule.

The definition for CPM is a bit vaguer, especially since CPM is used in multiple different situations.

Believe for the purpose of this thread, GS qualification, folks are using

PQD CPM = UA PQDs / UA BIS

Note there is no direct evidence UA uses this CPM number for GS Qualification but it is a number FTers like to use.

As for BIS, UA does not report this number your account and it needs to be manually tracked.

One way is to make use that PQMs are based on BIS but there may be a multiplier / bonus for high end fares. If always in 2x PQMs, you could divide by 2 to get BIS.

rwsteelers had a good method for determining UA BIS -- the change in Lifetime Miles from the first of the year.

Originally Posted by sgopal2
Hello:

To help with collection of qualification metrics for global services, I created a Google Doc. This will be useful for future members. For ease of use, I created a form which feeds into a spreadsheet. The spreadsheet and form does not require a google account and is free to use.

Similar spreadsheets were created in years past, so I'm hoping to continue this tradition. Please take the time to enter your stats into the spreadsheet. Many thanks

LINK to entry form:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1SYm...xRKZ_EUD8/edit

View responses here ( read only ):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Print Wikipost

GS Qualifying for 2019 Discussion / Questions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2018, 4:42 am

Programs: United GS 3 MM LT, Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium, HH LT Diamond
Does anyone have a senses for the cut-off points?

I saw that someone requalified at $39k spend? Did anyone make it with less than that or not requalify with more than $39k? Is the requalify point more like $35k this year? I know there are slight differences depending on home airport. Thoughts?
Old Dec 29, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by JB123
I saw that someone requalified at $39k spend? Did anyone make it with less than that or not requalify with more than $39k? Is the requalify point more like $35k this year? I know there are slight differences depending on home airport. Thoughts?
It probably has a lot more to do with previous years' spend than home airport. One who has many years as a much >>$50K+ spender and then one year at $39K may have a shot. Just a hunch, no one really knows.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: Global Services UA 1MM , Ambassador Elite Marriott
Congrats. I passed today (december 30th) over 50k PQD, 225,180 PQM, 56 PQS.. don't know if that would help getting GS status...
Also, my only question is : I have seen on many of the discussion that "metal" thing... for as long as i have passed 50 PQD on metal, i should be fine.... that i know of, i get those PQD by flying with united and affiliates.. it's confusing....

any who... should i call united and ask for a review to maybe be considered to GS?
ps: SFO based.

thanks,

CB

what is united metal means?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 30, 2018 at 2:06 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cbono
what is united metal means?
You are on an actual United or United Express plane.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: UA LT GS 4.2 MM, AA Gold 1MM, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Gold
My final numbers out of IAH
PQM 471,823
PQS 138
PQD 50,676
BIS 351,540
GS for 3 years and no notification yet. I have always had to wait until January though in the past.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 9:39 am

Is it possible to get GS with only one year on UA

Hi

I started flying on UA in Jan 2018 with a status match from Delta Diamond to 1K. This was mainly due to moving to Austin, TX which is not a hub for Delta.

Does anyone think GS is a possibility for me this year out of Austin with the following stats as they can't take into account my previous years of Delta spend.

PQM 313,000
PQD $64,588

I've only ever flown in business or first.

Thanks

Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Princemark
Hi

I started flying on UA in Jan 2018 with a status match from Delta Diamond to 1K. This was mainly due to moving to Austin, TX which is not a hub for Delta.

Does anyone think GS is a possibility for me this year out of Austin with the following stats as they can't take into account my previous years of Delta spend.

PQM 313,000
PQD $64,588

I've only ever flown in business or first.

Thanks

I'd say there's a good chance with those numbers. Was all of that spend on UA metal?
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by TexasTea
I'd say there's a good chance with those numbers. Was all of that spend on UA metal?
Yes all on UA metal. Mainly A, C and D, with some J.
manstein58 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: United GS & 1MM, Delta Silver, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Ended up with just north of $65,000 PQD and 257,000 PQMs, with another 10k of J class travel booked in January, I really hope I make it this year, missed it last year with $48,000 in spend.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: United GS & 1MM, Delta Silver, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rmmcdaniel
It just occurred to me that it is Dec 31 and I have not received the renewal e-mail yet, which I have always received first wave in Dec for last seven years. I just checked thru the online tool and am re-qualified for 2019. Here are my 2018 stats:

265,464 PQM
123 PQS
$54,727 PQD
ORD based
Almost all flights domestic (ORD-LAX/SFO)

My original invite was Nov 2010 (they sent me an e-mail in Oct that year stating that if I spent a certain $ by EOY I would get it as soon as I incurred the flights)
Wow.. I wonder what triggered that invite. I was hoping to get something like that, but keep hearing it never happens.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum Elite
Final numbers for the year

PQM: 204,930
PQD: 57.5
PQD: $50,286 (49,200 on United metal, others on shot Lufthansa connecting flights)
Old Dec 31, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by CMHBIZTraveler
Wow.. I wonder what triggered that invite. I was hoping to get something like that, but keep hearing it never happens.
That was from the olden days when there was a hard number target. No more of that.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: United Lifetime 1K, Global Service, Marriott LTTE, Hyatt GLobalist, AA MM,Hertz PC, Global Entry
Final numbers

total spend $64,237
United Metal $53,892

prior year 2017 $30,987

2016 $19,780

manstein58 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:47 pm

Guess I did NOT make it to GS

I’ve been 1K for about 5 years. I only fly domestic, and pretty much coach, as required by my corporate travel policy.
In 2018, I reached the following
PQM: 210,000
PQS: 119
PQD: $42,000
I am EWR based, and as stated above, pretty much fly domestic only.

I’ve seen other posts with acronyms: BIS and CPM. I don’t know what these are? Can someone help me out here. Friends of mine who ARE GS are surprised I did not qualify for 2019. They may have over $50k in PQD, but far fewer PQM and PQS.

Is the fact that I don’t fly internationally the reason I don’t qualify?

Thanks for any words of advice.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 31, 2018 at 6:00 pm Reason: moved to discussion thread
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cimay
What do the acronyms BIS and CPM stand for?
BIS: Butt in seat miles (miles actually flown).
CPM: Cost/Cents per mile -- cost in USD$ * 100 / miles. It is used as a mileage normalized measure of value / cost.
Many of the FT acronyms can be found in
FT Glossary
or
United Airlines Forum Glossary

Additionally, this thread's wiki has more on these particular items.

Definitions

BIS is actual scheduled flight distance (Great Circle Mileage Distance -- GCM) between airports with 500 mile minimum for elites. This is the standard used for Lifetime miles also. Those flying mostly sub-500 segments sometimes prefer to not use the minimum rule.

The definition for CPM is a bit vaguer, especially since CPM is used in multiple different situations.

Believe for the purpose of this thread, GS qualification, folks are using

PQD CPM = UA PQDs / UA BIS

Note there is no direct evidence UA uses this CPM number for GS Qualification but it is a number FTers like to use.

As for BIS, UA does not report this number your account and it needs to be manually tracked.

One way is to make use that PQMs are based on BIS but there may be a multiplier / bonus for high end fares. If always in 2x PQMs, you could divide by 2 to get BIS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.