Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

GS Qualifying for 2019 Discussion / Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 22, 2018, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA

GS Qualifying for 2019 Discussion

This will be a discussion thread, for discussing the needed qualifications and timing of notification.
For posing formal notifications (but no discussion), use this thread Global Services 2019 Notifications (ONLY)
2019 GS Timeline
First requal notifications came out on 6 Dec 2018
First-time notifications started about 3 Jan 2019
Numerous reports that all regular notifications will be out by 11 Jan 2019
Initial successful reconsideration appeals reported 15 Jan 2019
First reports of challanges15 Jan 2019
For discussion of GS benefits, please use Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions 2018
For 2017 qualifications, see the 2017 thread and for 2018, see the 2018 thread

To find your PQDs if >than $12K
Go to
MileagePlus activity since my last statement and it is in the "Account summary" table at the top of the page.

Note this is not just the UA operated PQDs (which is commonly believed to be what matters for GS) but rather your total PQDs.

Definitions

BIS is actual scheduled flight distance (Great Circle Mileage Distance -- GCM) between airports with 500 mile minimum for elites. This is the standard used for Lifetime miles also. Those flying mostly sub-500 segments sometimes prefer to not use the minimum rule.

The definition for CPM is a bit vaguer, especially since CPM is used in multiple different situations.

Believe for the purpose of this thread, GS qualification, folks are using

PQD CPM = UA PQDs / UA BIS

Note there is no direct evidence UA uses this CPM number for GS Qualification but it is a number FTers like to use.

As for BIS, UA does not report this number your account and it needs to be manually tracked.

One way is to make use that PQMs are based on BIS but there may be a multiplier / bonus for high end fares. If always in 2x PQMs, you could divide by 2 to get BIS.

rwsteelers had a good method for determining UA BIS -- the change in Lifetime Miles from the first of the year.

Originally Posted by sgopal2
Hello:

To help with collection of qualification metrics for global services, I created a Google Doc. This will be useful for future members. For ease of use, I created a form which feeds into a spreadsheet. The spreadsheet and form does not require a google account and is free to use.

Similar spreadsheets were created in years past, so I'm hoping to continue this tradition. Please take the time to enter your stats into the spreadsheet. Many thanks

LINK to entry form:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1SYm...xRKZ_EUD8/edit

View responses here ( read only ):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Print Wikipost

GS Qualifying for 2019 Discussion / Questions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2018, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by TexasAggie02

Where is your home airport? $42k would likely be on the low end in non-hub cities for a first time qualification especially with $17k the previous year.

If you are in a hub airport it would be a slim chance. Just look at AugustusM (OP) from last year out of EWR with >50k
Home airport is IAD, so hopefully that helps me a little?
Old Dec 15, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA GS/MM, AA Plat/MM, Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Spire
160k BIS
345k PQM
165 PQS
$78k UA metal spend

Does this get me another set of coasters like last year? Or am I now in bottle of wine territory?

Oscar already sent me a Christmas card...
Old Dec 15, 2018, 5:52 pm

The bar is much higher for hubs. For reference, I'm SFO based and was at $43,927 PQD in 2017 (with $35,066 in 2016, and $31,725 in 2015), but have stayed at Premier 1k.
For 2018:
$70,705 PQD (About $60k+ on United Metal, mostly business class tickets)
314,769 PQM
60.5 PQS

I've got one more trip before the year's end, which will add about $4k PQD, but not all on United Metal.

I've never qualified before for GS, but am really hoping that changes. Not sure what my chances are given that I'm SFO based and haven't made the cut before, but I hope they consider that I have decent spend the past few years, and the trend is upward.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: mileage plus
Originally Posted by wxguy
I just logged into mystatus.united.com...

YTD PQD = $72K
YTD PQM = 505K
YTD BIS = 271K

I still have two more paid TPACs to go in 2018. BOS based, this will be my 8th years. I should hit 4MM next summer, so this is the last year of nervousness
I have had 6 years of similar stats - any chance I get in? I had 3 United business round the world trips this year; stats below

YTD PQD 42k
YTD PQM 210k
YTD PQS 100

Originally Posted by Crazygreekflyer
Just got the call, woohoo! (interestingly on the website it still shows "still determining").
PQD: 62k
PQM: 195k
PQS: 128
Last year: PQD: 68k, PQM: 197k, PQS: 125
what website?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 16, 2018 at 12:32 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 16, 2018, 12:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, dan1k TPA
Originally Posted by dan1k TPA
.. I have had 6 years of similar stats - any chance I get in? I had 3 United business round the world trips this year; stats below

YTD PQD 42k
For GS PQDs is the primary determinator. Those presently receiving the GS notice are re-qualifiers -- were GS for 2018. The requaliying threshold can be a bit lower than what it takes to initially qualify. Sort of once you are in there is a little more room for occasionally lower numbers. New qualifications will not happen until the first couple weeks of January -- $42K if all UA will likely be marginal for a first-time qualifier

what website?

mystatus.united.com only present GS will have messages on 2019 GS status

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 16, 2018 at 5:31 pm Reason: username change
Old Dec 16, 2018, 12:53 pm

Thanks - seems to be my story, always around 40 to 50k PQD in spend and 200 to 250 PQM
Old Dec 16, 2018, 1:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Thanks - seems to be my story, always around 40 to 50k PQD in spend and 200 to 250 PQM
Is it all on UA? Are some trips on partners?
UA only looks at the PQDs on UA operated flights.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 16, 2018 at 5:30 pm Reason: username change
Old Dec 16, 2018, 4:11 pm

ALL 016 ticket numbers - but i have to use other star alliance when i go around the world
Old Dec 16, 2018, 4:31 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
ALL 016 ticket numbers - but i have to use other star alliance when i go around the world
All that matters to UA for GS qualification is dollars spent on flights on UA-operated flights. Whether tickets are issued by UA doesn't matter for non-UA-operated flights.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA MM GS, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FTLexMUC
Crossed 250 PQM from LHR to EWR on Friday

now at
258 PQM
71.5 PQS
59.9 PQD
ended the year with 275 PQM and 62k PQD thereof 40k on UA. Chances for GS?
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:35 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by meducate
Every year I wait patiently. Some years I have been in the first wave, others I have been in the last wave, but I have been GS for the last 13 years. I don't stress out and I don't try to figure out any system/algorithm/process. I just fly when and where I have to, and let things happen. Kinda zen-like.
Good attitude!

I'm wondering why United defers decision on a lot of GS. I understand Jan. for new qualifiers, but what does the additional month tell them for most current GS? I would think that either you're in or your not, except for a relatively small % of GS who might be on the cusp and have some booked travel that UA wants to confirm is taken. Or maybe I'm wrong that "a lot" get decisions deferred.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:12 pm
gid

Programs: MileagePlus
IAH
124 PQM
111.5 PQS
32.5 PQD

Have been 1k for the past 3yrs. Any chance at GS?

Last edited by gid; Dec 17, 2018 at 12:13 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by gid
IAH
124 PQM
111.5 PQS
32.5 PQD

Have been 1k for the past 3yrs. Any chance at GS?
I think unlikely. That would be the lowest I've seen qualify if you do. I qualified for 2019 with $39k and I honestly didn't think it was going to happen.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Mariott Platinum Elite
$60.4K UA Metal Spend. UA BIS Miles 270K. 5 Years of GS including 2018. Did not see the requal yet.
However, I got a card from Oscar wishing happy holidays. Curious of that means anything or is it just something all current GS members get.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by meducate
Every year I wait patiently. Some years I have been in the first wave, others I have been in the last wave, but I have been GS for the last 13 years. I don't stress out and I don't try to figure out any system/algorithm/process. I just fly when and where I have to, and let things happen. Kinda zen-like.
I have been in the same boat. Life is too short and also there are many more important things to deal with than GS qualification. I have been in the first wave when spent was low and in the last wave when spent was more than $120K.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.