Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pajamas in Polaris -- Experiences, How to Request UA PJs, Changing Logistics, ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: narvik
Recent changes to United's policy on pajamas and slippers increased the official availability from flights '12+ hours' to flights '14+ hours'.
There are currently (October/November 2023) mixed reports about actual availability, with some shorter than 14-hour flights still being provisioned with pajamas and slippers.

The printed on-board menu reads:

"Sleep soundly in the sky
Slippers are available by request on all international flights, along with pajamas for flights scheduled 14+ hours.
Ask your flight attendant if you'd like them."

Previous Wiki updated February 22, 2023, left here until final eligible routes can be established:

"On flights longer than 12 hours, we also offer 100% cotton pajamas upon request." (https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...laris-FAQ.aspx )
Pajamas are provisioned for about half of the eligible seats.
Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, TPE , AKL , HKG , CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - TLV, NRT, PEK , DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG, CPT, JNB
ORD - NRT, PEK, PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLWEAAQV7X
New flights have been added, and some flights ended)

Note: United employee shop sells pajamas for $9.99 a pair as of 12/10/20

Print Wikipost

Pajamas in Polaris -- Experiences, How to Request UA PJs, Changing Logistics, ....

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2023, 9:39 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
CX had them on their 744s for a few years. Few pax used them.
They were a little funky, Shanghai Tang branded. The material was nice but too heavy and too warm for me.

Originally Posted by DELee
Polaris page (United Polaris – Business class reimagined) still says 12+ hours:

David
All mention of Sunday Riley and the pajamas seems to be gone. The page is a mess. Without any earlier mention of ice cream the bottom of the page says:
*Ice cream cups only available on select flights.

Guess there may be some changes coming to the Polaris service.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 6:42 pm

SYD-LAX had pile of PJs stacked upfront for anyone to grab, also a FA came around to let everyone know about them and offered to bring a set to their seat.

Sidebar on Menu also said PJs “..for flights scheduled 11.5 hours or longer”
uanj likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2023, 6:52 am

Programs: UA Plat , HHonors Gold, Marriott Plat, Avis President's Club
SYD-LAX had pile of PJs stacked upfront for anyone to grab, also a FA came around to let everyone know about them and offered to bring a set to their seat.
Were the pajamas the old style or something new?
Warriorconcept likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2023, 3:18 pm

Long Haul Business Class Pajama Etiquette

I am travelling from SFO to Frankfurt next week in Business class. It is a 10-hour overnight flight. I want to be comfortable and be able to sleep. I would like to bring onboard and wear some pajamas for the flight. What is the proper etiquette for this?

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 3, 2023, 3:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by adventures_await
What is the proper etiquette for this?
Just think of what's appropriate in any public setting. You can change in the washroom, or you can wear your sleepwear underneath your other clothes and just remove your outer layer when you want to. Depending on what your sleepwear is like (e.g. T-shirt and sweatpants), you could even just change into them before boarding.
Old Sep 3, 2023, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Personally I would say do what you like, assuming general awareness of decency. I have seen people board in their PJs before. When I use the ones UA supplies on longer routes, I change in the lav. The 77W (aircraft for SFO-FRA) has a larger lav at door 2L, which makes changing easier. The one thing I would say don't do — which I have seen people do — is change in the seat.
adventures_await and FabCW like this.
Old Sep 3, 2023, 3:33 pm

Thanks for the reply. I will have them in my carry on backpack.
Old Sep 3, 2023, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Until United gets doors, change in the lav or beforehand.
There is no etiquette. Wear what you like.
adventures_await likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2023, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by rankourabu
There is no etiquette. Wear what you like.
Huh, well ... I'd say it depends

UA will also have PJs on this flight in case the OP doesn't want to bring one. They are not spectacular, but cotton and Mrs. cfischer likes them when we fly long-haul UA
Old Sep 3, 2023, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by cfischer

UA will also have PJs on this flight in case the OP doesn't want to bring one. They are not spectacular, but cotton and Mrs. cfischer likes them when we fly long-haul UA
As someone who has been burned by this before -- I would say UA "may / should" have them available.... OP if this is very important -- I'd advise you pack your own.... My wife and I have been on many flights to Tokyo where there should have been PJ's but they weren't available....
goodeats21, tcdtcd and Aurelian like this.
Old Sep 3, 2023, 5:17 pm

Location: New to BWI as of 2021; say hi if you're in the area!
Programs: UA GS
Also one other thing on the pajamas -- I always change after take-off as opposed to during boarding, just bc I've had a couple of cases where we boarded and then something happened and we had to de-board, and I didn't want to be wearing pajamas in the terminal (though I realize others may disagree on this...the pajamas I travel with are definitely not couture lol)
Old Sep 3, 2023, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer

I've done SFO-FRA countless times on UA over the past few years and have never once seen UA pajamas, nor had them offered. There is theoretically a policy that they are available on flights longer than a certain threshold (which I believe SFO-FRA fails, if I recall), but also multiple earlier threads stating that they are never actually there.
SFOtoTYO likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2023, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
When I do PJs, I tend to board as early as I can then go to the lav to change while boarding finishes up. And, about 1.5 hours before end of flight I go to the lav and swap back. Nobody has ever raised an eyebrow. I also tend to carry PJs from prior flights, different airlines, nobody cares but every now and then will get a friendly comment about "oh, I love <insert airline here> PJs" or "I have those at home!".
SPN Lifer and jpezaris like this.
Old Sep 3, 2023, 8:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fumje
The one thing I would say don't do — which I have seen people do — is change in the seat.
Exactly. Anything else is fine. Heck some percentage of pax seem always to be flying in pajama-like sweats, honestly no one will even notice if you put them on prior to boarding (though I generally change in the lav prior to takeoff).
Old Sep 4, 2023, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by fumje (Post # 3)
The one thing I would say don't do — which I have seen people do — is change in the seat.
Originally Posted by Kacee (Post # 11)
Exactly. Anything else is fine. Heck some percentage of pax seem always to be flying in pajama-like sweats, honestly no one will even notice if you put them on prior to boarding (though I generally change in the lav prior to takeoff).
There seems to be a resurgence of interest in pajamas on FlyerTalk.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...logistics.html

PJ in overnight flights (Information Desk forum)

When I commented, "Many passengers change into pajamas / pyjamas (PJs) in their seats," (Post # 8), this was countered in the next post by someone who had never seen this happen, an assertion upvoted by FlyerTalk Posting Legend beckoa .

I am glad to see I am not the only person who has noticed people changing in their seats. Yet I am not so judgmental about the practice.

Most people who change into pajamas do so discreetly, which is why some very frequent travellers do not even notice it. A blanket can certainly cover up below-the-waist changes.

Keep in mind that those who use a lavatory as a changing room are diverting a very scarce resource from being used for its intended excretory functions.

As someone who suffers from benign prostate hyperplasia, I would hate to have to urinate into an air sickness bag because so many people were putting on pajamas in the lav, a time-consuming process. And what about fellow passengers with diarrhea?

I myself have donned a pair of UA-issued PJs in my seat, as a point of courtesy and respect for my fellow passengers. There are many ways to be helpful. We should each do what we can, which will be different for each of us.

Fly the Friendly Skies!
Kestrel likes this.

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Sep 4, 2023 at 1:15 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.