Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pajamas in Polaris -- Experiences, How to Request UA PJs, Changing Logistics, ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: narvik
Recent changes to United's policy on pajamas and slippers increased the official availability from flights '12+ hours' to flights '14+ hours'.
There are currently (October/November 2023) mixed reports about actual availability, with some shorter than 14-hour flights still being provisioned with pajamas and slippers.

The printed on-board menu reads:

"Sleep soundly in the sky
Slippers are available by request on all international flights, along with pajamas for flights scheduled 14+ hours.
Ask your flight attendant if you'd like them."

Previous Wiki updated February 22, 2023, left here until final eligible routes can be established:

"On flights longer than 12 hours, we also offer 100% cotton pajamas upon request." (https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...laris-FAQ.aspx )
Pajamas are provisioned for about half of the eligible seats.
Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, TPE , AKL , HKG , CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - TLV, NRT, PEK , DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG, CPT, JNB
ORD - NRT, PEK, PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLWEAAQV7X
New flights have been added, and some flights ended)

Note: United employee shop sells pajamas for $9.99 a pair as of 12/10/20

Print Wikipost

Pajamas in Polaris -- Experiences, How to Request UA PJs, Changing Logistics, ....

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2024, 6:55 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by rolltribe
Anybody have experience on IAD-HND? Block is exactly 14 hrs.
I've gotten them in both directions this year.

Originally Posted by Infinite1K
How prior was this policy? When I flew to Taipei from SFO, outbound was provided, return wasn’t (FA: flight isn’t long enough).
TPE-SFO is supposed to get them.

Originally Posted by Lori_Q
The new pajamas are terrible. They're recycled polyester, the legs on the pants are skinnier, and there is a slight vinegar smell. The first set I wore (definitely not as comfortable as the cotton); the second set I gave back; the third set I washed for SIN-SFO and might wear on the flight home (to keep my street clothes fresh).

Bleech.
I have to agree. I am not a fan.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA Plat (1MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC
How prior was this policy? When I flew to Taipei from SFO, outbound was provided, return wasn’t (FA: flight isn’t long enough).
I had the same experience last fall. ORD-HND had PJs, ORD-HND the FAs said there weren't any on board because the flight was too short (a few minutes short of 12 hrs). As others have pointed out, that may have not been a reflection of policy but of the supplies on that particular flight.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 11:43 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
On long haul flights in business class where pajamas are not provided I always bring my own in my carry on. I usually change after the meal - in the lavatory ofc - and then change back about 40mins before landing. Ive seen others do this and FAs or other passengers do not bat an eyelid at seeing a passenger in pjs on this kind of flight (where pjs are not provided).

I would feel a little weird boarding in PJs but I also wouldn't care if I saw someone else do it.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Are slippers available these days on EWR-LHR and LHR-EWR flights?
Old Mar 11, 2024, 11:33 pm

Read through the thread it seems like the best time to ask is during the PDB service? When the Y passengers are passing through, at least sitting in the rear cabin?
Old Apr 3, 2024, 8:17 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
EWR-TLV-EWR this week had slippers, but no PJs. Crews said to please write into UA to bring back the PJs.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I asked for PJs on HND-SFO the other day but was tld of the 14 hour rule. I asked whether they actually had any and the FA whispered that she'd find me some, and she did.
SPN Lifer and ContinentalFan like this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
I must have pretty bad luck because on all my recent LAX - MEL/SYD flights, not a single pair of PJs has been loaded and trust me I ask the cabin crew right away.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 5:06 pm
Community Director Emerita

We got pjs on our SFO-SYD flight 2 1/2 weeks ago. Mind you, they're such cruddy quality there's no pleasure in having them.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
EWR-TLV-EWR this week had slippers, but no PJs. Crews said to please write into UA to bring back the PJs.
Curious why you’d think there would be PJs? Even with the previous rule of 12 hours, the flight wouldn’t qualify, let alone the new 14 hour rule.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 5:49 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We got pjs on our SFO-SYD flight 2 1/2 weeks ago. Mind you, they're such cruddy quality there's no pleasure in having them.
They are terrible. Supposedly this is a greener product because they used recycled polyester but no one I know will use them twice. So I don't think they are greener than the previous versions of 93% cotton 7% viscose which people would wear a few times.
SanDiego1K and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 7:22 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by erics2356
Read through the thread it seems like the best time to ask is during the PDB service? When the Y passengers are passing through, at least sitting in the rear cabin?
Looks like this wasn't answered, so I'll give it a shot:

Yes, you'd want to ask for PJs fairly early on - it can be a bit delicate though. I.e. if you ask DURING the PDB service, some FAs tend to not be bothered with providing pajamas as they are solely focused on the PDB service. There is also the possibility of them forgetting about your request when asking if they are otherwise busy with another task.

Best practice is to somehow gain the attention of a passing FA and start with a: "When you get a chance, could you please check if you have any pajamas loaded on this flight?" or something like that.
Main cabin FA or purser might come to your seat and greet you personally - that's another good opportunity to ask.
Of course, there is also the chance that they are proactively offered.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 8:00 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Curious why you’d think there would be PJs? Even with the previous rule of 12 hours, the flight wouldn’t qualify, let alone the new 14 hour rule.
Because the route had them from the Polaris launch until the route's suspension in October? I assume because TLV-EWR is just shy of 12 hours.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 8:26 am

Programs: UA, QR, EY, AA, SQ, A6, MH
PJs were offered on my DXB-EWR flight a few days ago. Clocked in at 14hr 39 min.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Originally Posted by uanj
They are terrible. Supposedly this is a greener product because they used recycled polyester but no one I know will use them twice. So I don't think they are greener than the previous versions of 93% cotton 7% viscose which people would wear a few times.
I haven't received UA pajamas in a long time, as I am typically using other carriers for TPAC now and TATL aren't long enough. Are these the ones with "UNITED" emblazoned on the back of the shirt?

I still use, and love, the original versions that were given out at the start of Polaris. I accumulated a bunch of them and they have held up very well with washings, etc. Very comfy PJ Bottoms specifically, with pockets.
iluv2fly likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.