Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pajamas in Polaris -- Experiences, How to Request UA PJs, Changing Logistics, ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: narvik
Recent changes to United's policy on pajamas and slippers increased the official availability from flights '12+ hours' to flights '14+ hours'.
There are currently (October/November 2023) mixed reports about actual availability, with some shorter than 14-hour flights still being provisioned with pajamas and slippers.

The printed on-board menu reads:

"Sleep soundly in the sky
Slippers are available by request on all international flights, along with pajamas for flights scheduled 14+ hours.
Ask your flight attendant if you'd like them."

Previous Wiki updated February 22, 2023, left here until final eligible routes can be established:

"On flights longer than 12 hours, we also offer 100% cotton pajamas upon request." (https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...laris-FAQ.aspx )
Pajamas are provisioned for about half of the eligible seats.
Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, TPE , AKL , HKG , CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - TLV, NRT, PEK , DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG, CPT, JNB
ORD - NRT, PEK, PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLWEAAQV7X
New flights have been added, and some flights ended)

Note: United employee shop sells pajamas for $9.99 a pair as of 12/10/20

Print Wikipost

Pajamas in Polaris -- Experiences, How to Request UA PJs, Changing Logistics, ....

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2023, 7:02 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by EpsilonZer0
Well then. Next time I will ask the FA at boarding.
My tactic is to ask them "When is the best time to ask for pajamas/mattress pad/whatever?" during the boarding process. They get the message, and I always got them, although not always immediately.
SPN Lifer, uanj, djsflynn and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 8:26 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by EpsilonZer0
Maybe a general question but when did United stop offering the pajamas in Polaris international flights?
In general, you need to ask. And, unless the FA was the actual one that placed the mattress pads/pyjamas in an overhead, I find that any FA you ask doesn't know where they are, acts confused like you are from Mars, and then (hopefully) tries to find them. It is too much work for UA crews to brief each other on amenity locations (and the wine list) prior to boarding; they always need to figure it out on the fly...
ZenFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 8:47 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by seanp7
In general, you need to ask. And, unless the FA was the actual one that placed the mattress pads/pyjamas in an overhead, I find that any FA you ask doesn't know where they are, acts confused like you are from Mars, and then (hopefully) tries to find them. It is too much work for UA crews to brief each other on amenity locations (and the wine list) prior to boarding; they always need to figure it out on the fly...
DEL-EWR - had to ask for PJs & mattress...it appeared that most in the biz cabin had no idea of amenities - I think that the crew prefers this...(ex-COn crew don't, but they have to align themselves with the current layabouts...)

First time in my life on any airline I heard this: "As we are trying to depart quickly, we request all passengers to close the overhead compartments..."

I don't think even Air India would stoop so low....

Is United striving to be a LCC now??

Originally Posted by seanp7
That's true - when flying the 77w ex-BOM, I used to always have to show them where they were...
Old Jan 2, 2023, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
DEL-EWR - had to ask for PJs & mattress...it appeared that most in the biz cabin had no idea of amenities - I think that the crew prefers this...
If what the Wiki says is true (PJs only provisioned for 50% of the Polaris cabin), then I'd say that I prefer this as well.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 10:10 am

Programs: AA Gold
Polaris pajamas on Capetown flight given out?

I have award tix on flight UA 2223 CPT-IAD nonstop in business coming up in May. It is almost 16 hours long. Is UA back to handing out the Polaris pajamas?
Old Feb 21, 2023, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by susiesan
I have award tix on flight UA 2223 CPT-IAD nonstop in business coming up in May. It is almost 16 hours long. Is UA back to handing out the Polaris pajamas?
They are stocked, but depends on crew for whether they'll offer proactively or only give out on request. Usually pretty easy to get a set during the boarding period.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 10:39 am

Talking

Originally Posted by fumje
They are stocked, but depends on crew for whether they'll offer proactively or only give out on request. Usually pretty easy to get a set during the boarding period.
Thanks, I'll be sure to ask for them. Just in case someone forgets to stock the plane I'll bring some with me from a previous Polaris flight. I'll use them on the flight over to Africa which is on ET. I know they do not have pajamas onboard. I like these pj's, they are quite comfortable.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by susiesan
Thanks, I'll be sure to ask for them. Just in case someone forgets to stock the plane I'll bring some with me from a previous Polaris flight. I'll use them on the flight over to Africa which is on ET. I know they do not have pajamas onboard. I like these pj's, they are quite comfortable.
Yep, credit where it's due, the PJ offering is nice. I don't remember how I could deal with these long flights before they had them! Enjoy.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 11:14 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Unless you are over 6 feet be sure to ask for the medium/small.
mechteach, mikeyf and Nagasaki Joe like this.
Old Feb 21, 2023, 12:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
From EWR they were already on the seat
From CPT I had to ask
Old Feb 21, 2023, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K3MM
Originally Posted by Cthunder86
From EWR they were already on the seat
From CPT I had to ask
I flew IAD-CPT-IAD - offered on outbound, needed to request on return. Don't forget to also ask for a mattress pad.
susiesan and Cthunder86 like this.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Hi all: There's been a lot of recent posts about requesting (and finding) mattress pads but my question is about logistics. I've only bothered to ask for these once or twice before, and it definitely enhanced the sleep experience, but standing in the aisle and wrestling it on the seat felt awkward. But I have a 17-hour flight tonight (IAH to SYD), so awkwardness be damned, lol.

At what point of the flight do you usually put these on the seats? It seems the logical choices are either just prior to the meal service (and risk the dinner crumbs) or after the FAs have finished meal service for the whole cabin. And assuming one has requested and obtained one at the beginning of the flight, where do you store it in the meantime -- will it fit with the other bedding in the footwell or do you stash it overhead?
Old Mar 4, 2023, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond, Starwood Platinum Preferred
I usually put it in the footwell with the blanket. After the first meal service, I put the bed in full recline and then make the bed with the mattress pad, blanket, 2 pillows. After that, I change into pjs and go to sleep. I never take the mattress pad off after I put it on. If I sit up, I just sit on it.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 4:24 pm

Does anyone have a picture of what the pajamas look like now, has UA changed the style? The ones I have are a light gray t shirt top, pullover , and elastic waist bottom loose pants. They are around 4 years old.
Old Mar 4, 2023, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Originally Posted by ll22949
I usually put it in the footwell with the blanket. After the first meal service, I put the bed in full recline and then make the bed with the mattress pad, blanket, 2 pillows. After that, I change into pjs and go to sleep. I never take the mattress pad off after I put it on. If I sit up, I just sit on it.
Thank you for the tips, it helps to have a game plan!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.