Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pajamas in Polaris -- Experiences, How to Request UA PJs, Changing Logistics, ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: narvik
Recent changes to United's policy on pajamas and slippers increased the official availability from flights '12+ hours' to flights '14+ hours'.
There are currently (October/November 2023) mixed reports about actual availability, with some shorter than 14-hour flights still being provisioned with pajamas and slippers.

The printed on-board menu reads:

"Sleep soundly in the sky
Slippers are available by request on all international flights, along with pajamas for flights scheduled 14+ hours.
Ask your flight attendant if you'd like them."

Previous Wiki updated February 22, 2023, left here until final eligible routes can be established:

"On flights longer than 12 hours, we also offer 100% cotton pajamas upon request." (https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...laris-FAQ.aspx )
Pajamas are provisioned for about half of the eligible seats.
Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, TPE , AKL , HKG , CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - TLV, NRT, PEK , DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG, CPT, JNB
ORD - NRT, PEK, PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLWEAAQV7X
New flights have been added, and some flights ended)

Note: United employee shop sells pajamas for $9.99 a pair as of 12/10/20

Print Wikipost

Pajamas in Polaris -- Experiences, How to Request UA PJs, Changing Logistics, ....

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2022, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by sweetsleep
What about LAX>SYD? it is scheduled as a 16+hour flight on UA 839.
Yes, that route should have pajamas available...
Old Sep 9, 2022, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
TY mioptrow
Old Sep 9, 2022, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by eng3
No PJs on IAD-AMM? I asked the FA when placing my dinner order. She said she didn't think so but would check.
I know the average is about 30min under 12hrs but I read a review blog about the flight and they reported getting them. Maybe it was just for the bloggers on the first flight
Update, after dinner I asked for slippers. I was like "you said 'I don't think we have pajamas but we do have slippers' can I get a pair". She was like "oh yeah, I forgot to look" later she came by and said "I'm told we have both, I'll keep looking" Finally, I did get both, though they only had large.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
There were pajamas on my seat when I boarded EWR-JNB a couple of weeks ago. The FA pointed it out as I arrived at my seat. I inferred from her tone that there were not enough PJ’s loaded. I was traveling with 2 other 1K’s, and we surmised that the GS and 1K’s were proactively provided PJ’s, but everyone else had to ask. (On the other hand, the FA told me that no slippers were provisioned, and added that this is typical for EWR departures.)

On my return flight the other day, the FA walked through the cabin offering PJ’s.

This was my first Polaris flight since pre-Covid. I was glad to see that pockets and drawstring have found their way back to the pajama bottoms!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 8:27 am

Programs: United Premier 1K , Marriot Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Maybe a general question but when did United stop offering the pajamas in Polaris international flights?
I was on ORD - HND in August and was dismayed that no pajamas were offered. I was really looking forward to getting a new set of united pajamas too. They still gave out the slippers and toiletry bag but that was it...
Old Dec 28, 2022, 8:41 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by EpsilonZer0
Maybe a general question but when did United stop offering the pajamas in Polaris international flights?
I was on ORD - HND in August and was dismayed that no pajamas were offered. I was really looking forward to getting a new set of united pajamas too. They still gave out the slippers and toiletry bag but that was it...
I think that all flights over 12 hours get the PJs...
Old Dec 28, 2022, 2:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
DId you ask? ORD-HND should have had PJs available, Others have gotten PJs on qualified flights recently.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 12:16 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
You need to ask nicely.
artvandalay likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Flew EWR to JNB last month. No PJ's. SAD!
dwugson likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Even on the JNB-EWR flight and reverse have never been offered pyjamas - the Polaris service remains a disgrace in all respects.
\
Old Dec 29, 2022, 7:01 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Had them on both SFO SIN and Sin SFO last week..one crew offered them when taking meal orders, other crew you had to ask and they had to look around for them. The usual how no two United flights are the same....
Old Dec 30, 2022, 3:36 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by evol
See photo of menu below USA OUTBOUND-EUROPE offering the full suite of sleep extras

PJ was not mentioned on the menu of IAH-SYD.

Originally Posted by 1KChinito
You need to ask nicely.
I did ask it and got it, but not sure that I asked nicely. 😄
Old Dec 30, 2022, 4:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
I was on ORD - HND in August and was dismayed that no pajamas were offered.<snip>...
Originally Posted by dwugson
Even on the JNB-EWR flight and reverse have never been offered pyjamas - the Polaris service remains a disgrace in all respects.
(bolding mine)

Some clarification might be in order here.
The 'official United pajama rule' is: "On flights longer than 12 hours, we also offer pajamas upon request."
Following are possible scenarios:

1) Your flight is under 12 hours, so no pajamas are loaded
2) Your flight is over 12 hours but no pajamas are loaded for some reason
3) Your flight is over 12 hours and pajamas are loaded but NOT OFFERED: you will need to ask for them, and then an FA will get a pair for you
4) Your flight is over 12 hours and FA will proactively hand out pajamas: this has the disadvantage that they hand them out to some passengers who wouldn't
otherwise have wanted/needed them, and carries a huge potential for them to run out before reaching the end of the cabin. I'd like to think that the FA takes inventory
of the pajamas on board and compares that to the actual Polaris passenger-count before they start handing them out to everyone. I've never witnessed a shortage when
the proactive handout happens, so this might mean that the FA indeed do their due diligence beforehand.

Summary: if your flight is pajama eligible, and you are not offered pajamas, you should ASK FOR THEM.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 9:55 am

Programs: United Premier 1K , Marriot Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by narvik
(bolding mine)

Some clarification might be in order here.
The 'official United pajama rule' is: "On flights longer than 12 hours, we also offer pajamas upon request."
Following are possible scenarios:

1) Your flight is under 12 hours, so no pajamas are loaded
2) Your flight is over 12 hours but no pajamas are loaded for some reason
3) Your flight is over 12 hours and pajamas are loaded but NOT OFFERED: you will need to ask for them, and then an FA will get a pair for you
4) Your flight is over 12 hours and FA will proactively hand out pajamas: this has the disadvantage that they hand them out to some passengers who wouldn't
otherwise have wanted/needed them, and carries a huge potential for them to run out before reaching the end of the cabin. I'd like to think that the FA takes inventory
of the pajamas on board and compares that to the actual Polaris passenger-count before they start handing them out to everyone. I've never witnessed a shortage when
the proactive handout happens, so this might mean that the FA indeed do their due diligence beforehand.

Summary: if your flight is pajama eligible, and you are not offered pajamas, you should ASK FOR THEM.
Well then. Next time I will ask the FA at boarding.
My previous experience (precovid Dec 2019) was they were on the seat waiting for me when I boarded, so natrually when I boarded my Aug 2022 flight I thought they cut back on it.
mikeyf likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
My experience with this since Polaris rolled out is that they are proactively offered about 10% of the time. But I don't recall not getting one (on eligible flights) when I've asked.
SPN Lifer and Kmxu like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.