Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pajamas in Polaris -- Experiences, How to Request UA PJs, Changing Logistics, ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: narvik
Recent changes to United's policy on pajamas and slippers increased the official availability from flights '12+ hours' to flights '14+ hours'.
There are currently (October/November 2023) mixed reports about actual availability, with some shorter than 14-hour flights still being provisioned with pajamas and slippers.

The printed on-board menu reads:

"Sleep soundly in the sky
Slippers are available by request on all international flights, along with pajamas for flights scheduled 14+ hours.
Ask your flight attendant if you'd like them."

Previous Wiki updated February 22, 2023, left here until final eligible routes can be established:

"On flights longer than 12 hours, we also offer 100% cotton pajamas upon request." (https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...laris-FAQ.aspx )
Pajamas are provisioned for about half of the eligible seats.
Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, TPE , AKL , HKG , CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - TLV, NRT, PEK , DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG, CPT, JNB
ORD - NRT, PEK, PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLWEAAQV7X
New flights have been added, and some flights ended)

Note: United employee shop sells pajamas for $9.99 a pair as of 12/10/20

Print Wikipost

Pajamas in Polaris -- Experiences, How to Request UA PJs, Changing Logistics, ....

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2023, 12:40 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
I am glad to see I am not the only person who has noticed people changing in their seats. Yet I am not so judgmental about the practice.
I frequently change into a pajama top at my seat, especially when in an odd-numbered window Polaris seat (which are a little more private than most others). I'm male, so worst case someone walking past sees a little bit of topless skin - not exactly a good business-class look, but hardly an issue on either side.

I don't use the pajama bottoms, but I do change into shorts during boarding (and back before landing). I wouldn't consider doing this at my seat - especially as I change during boarding when there are people everywhere. However I don't disagree that if you were to take suitable precautions (such as covering up with a blanket) and do it at a quiter time then I can't see any real issue with doing it at your seat.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 7:02 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
We’re missing some passenger specific context here. If you model for Calvin Klein or Abercrombie & Fitch, feel free to change standing up at your seat, or even in the aisle (particularly if I’m onboard). If you look like me, then do as I do and always in the lavs! 😁😁
Old Sep 4, 2023, 7:33 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by fumje
The one thing I would say don't do — which I have seen people do — is change in the seat.
The only times I have done this ( twice) is when I was the only passenger in the F compartment.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by krispy84
We’re missing some passenger specific context here. If you model for Calvin Klein or Abercrombie & Fitch, feel free to change standing up at your seat, or even in the aisle (particularly if I’m onboard). If you look like me, then do as I do and always in the lavs! 😁😁
I second this sentiment. 😋
krispy84 and npretnar like this.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 9:51 am

Programs: AA EXP; SQ Gold
Yoga shorts and a tank top. Loose fitting, with comfortable fabric that is meant to keep cool. My go to on long haul.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 10:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Personally, I find this all very humorous. I only wear comfortable clothes, so I never have to worry about changing. I don't really understand why people would wear something uncomfortable to begin with.
sczcardfan likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 11:03 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Personally, I find this all very humorous. I only wear comfortable clothes, so I never have to worry about changing. I don't really understand why people would wear something uncomfortable to begin with.
Well, the OP's question was about the etiquette of doing it -- not what's your preference. I find lots of other people's personal preferences odd too, but make no apologies for this preference for me... And, yes, this is is all truly a first world problem. Comfort matters but for me it is more about keeping clothes fresh.

For me? Depending what I need to do when I land, I prefer to keep my street clothes fresh as I rarely have access to an arrivals lounge. Flying 10+ hours, then layover, connecting flight is a long time in the same clothes, particularly slept in. If the rest of my day after landing is to a meeting (business or friends/family), prefer to land and have fresh clothes. If the rest of my day after landing is getting into a car or train or touring a city because I've landed in the morning, prefer fresh clothes. There are lots of reasons why I just prefer it. If I have enough time connecting after a 10+ hour flight and have access, I'll utilize the lounge shower even. I could bring spare clothes and change when I land, sure, but wearing PJs on the plane just is easier for me and saves me opening my main carry-on bag as PJs fit in my small pack.

As an aside, I've also spent enough time on planes and in airports near people who have clearly been traveling in the same clothes for 24+ hours who I wish had changed... :-)

As they say, YMMV.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 11:10 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by abaheti
And, yes, this is is all truly a first world problem. Comfort matters but for me it is more about keeping clothes fresh.

For me? Depending what I need to do when I land, I prefer to keep my street clothes fresh as I rarely have access to an arrivals lounge. Flying 10+ hours, then layover, connecting flight is a long time in the same clothes, particularly slept in. If the rest of my day after landing is to a meeting (business or friends/family), prefer to land and have fresh clothes. If the rest of my day after landing is getting into a car or train or touring a city because I've landed in the morning, prefer fresh clothes. There are lots of reasons why I just prefer it. If I have enough time connecting after a 10+ hour flight and have access, I'll utilize the lounge shower even. I could bring spare clothes and change when I land, sure, but wearing PJs on the plane just is easier for me and saves me opening my main carry-on bag as PJs fit in my small pack.

As an aside, I've also spent enough time on planes and in airports near people who have clearly been traveling in the same clothes for 24+ hours who I wish had changed... :-)

As they say, YMMV.
Years ago when there were more PJ's available on planes (and for some reason slept way better on planes) I was flying ORD - FRA and they literally woke me up with only a few minutes to landing -- with no chance to change into my street clothes. Of course we came in to a bus gate -- and of course for once the bus was waiting and the stairs were on the plane just as the seatbelt sign turned off.... So I put on my dress shoes and had to wear the PJ's and my winter coat all the way to the terminal -- the walk of shame....

I was surprised that no one seemed to care -- I guess everyone was quite tired... Thankfully there was a mens room post bus trip -- but boy that was embarrassing and I re-evaluated the "Should I wake you for breakfast" standard response of no.... As you can tell I am not a change in the seat person -- and IIRC this was pre-Polaris so much less privacy....
abaheti and tcdtcd like this.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 11:27 am

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Sometimes people travel for work and need to maintain a professional look upon arrival.

Hence Business class.
SPN Lifer, abaheti and esc2476 like this.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Keep in mind that those who use a lavatory as a changing room are diverting a very scarce resource from being used for its intended excretory functions.
Changing during boarding generally does not impact lav use. I don't recall ever waiting for a free lav during boarding, as people are concerned more with getting settled (and rightly so) ... I generally board early to give me time to change.

Changing back is more challenging. I try to do it before the meal carts come out, and definitely avoid the last-minute rush prior to landing. I have been known (once) to wear my non-couture PJs into the terminal, and changed there.
SPN Lifer, abaheti, tcdtcd and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 7, 2023, 12:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Another report
SFO-ICN today, FA says no PJs. Discontinued. Only on SIN and AUS flights now.

The purser said they are changing over suppliers so they don't have enough but expect to have them next month

Whether the FAs are just making up stories or not, the result is the same

Last edited by eng3; Sep 7, 2023 at 12:41 am
Old Sep 7, 2023, 12:30 am

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
Originally Posted by MatthewT
Were the pajamas the old style or something new?
SFO->SYD had them on 2 September. Same scenario as above… pjs in the galley for the taking.

Style seemed to be a mix of old & new… old style pants (dark grey with pockets), newer top/shirt with Polaris “branding” on the back.
Old Sep 7, 2023, 10:33 am

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
No PJ's TPE-SFO 9/3. Scheduled flight time is 11 hours 40 minutes. Purser said they will no longer be loaded for this route even after the supply shortage is over. She said they'd be loaded on SFO-TPE though.
Old Sep 7, 2023, 11:02 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by kevino
No PJ's TPE-SFO 9/3. Scheduled flight time is 11 hours 40 minutes. Purser said they will no longer be loaded for this route even after the supply shortage is over. She said they'd be loaded on SFO-TPE though.
Huh? TPE-SFO no PJs but PJs on SFO-TPE?

Maybe the FA means they will be loaded at SFO with (hopefully) enough stock for the round-trip.
Old Sep 7, 2023, 12:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
A parallel thread suggests all new soft products introduced 9/20. Hopefully that is why PJs are in short supply - new design of course, not cut altogether.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.