Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pajamas in Polaris -- Experiences, How to Request UA PJs, Changing Logistics, ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: narvik
Recent changes to United's policy on pajamas and slippers increased the official availability from flights '12+ hours' to flights '14+ hours'.
There are currently (October/November 2023) mixed reports about actual availability, with some shorter than 14-hour flights still being provisioned with pajamas and slippers.

The printed on-board menu reads:

"Sleep soundly in the sky
Slippers are available by request on all international flights, along with pajamas for flights scheduled 14+ hours.
Ask your flight attendant if you'd like them."

Previous Wiki updated February 22, 2023, left here until final eligible routes can be established:

"On flights longer than 12 hours, we also offer 100% cotton pajamas upon request." (https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...laris-FAQ.aspx )
Pajamas are provisioned for about half of the eligible seats.
Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, TPE , AKL , HKG , CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - TLV, NRT, PEK , DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG, CPT, JNB
ORD - NRT, PEK, PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLWEAAQV7X
New flights have been added, and some flights ended)

Note: United employee shop sells pajamas for $9.99 a pair as of 12/10/20

Print Wikipost

Pajamas in Polaris -- Experiences, How to Request UA PJs, Changing Logistics, ....

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2023, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uanj
14+ is going to eliminate a lot of routes. Too bad. IAD-HND is 13 hr 55 min for example.
IAD-HND block time changes from 13h55m to 14h25m on 28 Oct. Will they suddenly add PJs that day?

Setting the cuttoff at 14h is incredibly cheap — and incredibly United. Offer a nice product in theory but scratch and claw back as much benefit as possible. 🙄
Doppy, iluv2fly, SPN Lifer and 4 others like this.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by tcdtcd
So basically PJs only on SIN, AUS/NZ, and SAfrica?
Am I missing any?
Except there are several AU/NZ flights under 14 hr.

SFO/LAX-AKL, CHC-SFO, SFO-BNE certain times of year. Likely others.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 3:56 pm

Programs: QF Bronze, UA GM
Originally Posted by econ
Except there are several AU/NZ flights under 14 hr.

SFO/LAX-AKL, CHC-SFO, SFO-BNE certain times of year. Likely others.
SYD-SFO clocks in at 13.45 too (although not SFO-SYD). Annoying, as I'm due to fly that route in December and was looking forward to getting some jammies. Will see how I go though.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
Originally Posted by fumje
IAD-HND block time changes from 13h55m to 14h25m on 28 Oct. Will they suddenly add PJs that day?

Setting the cuttoff at 14h is incredibly cheap — and incredibly United. Offer a nice product in theory but scratch and claw back as much benefit as possible. 🙄
It’s part of the “brand refresh”. PJs “even more exclusive” now! 👎
narvik likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
SFO-TPE and IAD-HND will lose pj's if they follow this exactly while EWR-HND won't. I am surprised the Japan flights will not get slippers, I think that is a miss on UA's part.

EWR-HND is 14:35, but HND-EWR is 12:50. Will report this week if HND-EWR has any pajamas, but I guess they officially won't.
Really cheap on UA's part. What a fail.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 7:21 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by narvik
EWR-HND is 14:35, but HND-EWR is 12:50. Will report this week if HND-EWR has any pajamas, but I guess they officially won't.
Really cheap on UA's part. What a fail.
I just got them, were still the old ones. A colleague did not get them the week before, though. Unclear what exactly the plan is.
narvik and NeuroLogixTech like this.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
I think Weast Coast to Japan was already below the threshold. SFO-TPE and IAD-HND will lose pj's if they follow this exactly while EWR-HND won't. I am surprised the Japan flights will not get slippers, I think that is a miss on UA's part.
Received pj set for 9/30 SFO-TPE
Old Oct 2, 2023, 9:57 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Slippers available as normal (on request) on FRA-EWR today.
Birdsofafeather likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2023, 11:30 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Any recent experience on ZRH-SFO? Flight time is stated as exactly 12 hrs
Old Oct 2, 2023, 1:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
I just got them, were still the old ones. A colleague did not get them the week before, though. Unclear what exactly the plan is.
Or that is part of the plan

Smiseking the PJs is way uncool. That is a top 3 reason I chose UA previously. It certainly wasn’t the alcohol selection.
uanj and tcdtcd like this.
Old Oct 2, 2023, 9:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jasonvr
Any recent experience on ZRH-SFO? Flight time is stated as exactly 12 hrs
Negative for both slippers and mattress pad last week. FA mentioned the new 14 hour rule after I pointed out the 11.5 hour statement on the menu.
SPN Lifer and uanj like this.
Old Oct 2, 2023, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Negative for both slippers and mattress pad last week. FA mentioned the new 14 hour rule after I pointed out the 11.5 hour statement on the menu.
Well I did always think it was only some time between my 12th and 13th hour on board that my feet started needing a cushioned vessel for traversing the cabin. Smart move Kirby.
Old Oct 2, 2023, 10:46 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
I’m going to make it a point to bring (and wear) a pair on any future TATL/TPAC flights regardless of flight length. And encourage my cabin neighbors to ask for them!
SPN Lifer and uanj like this.
Old Oct 2, 2023, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tcdtcd
I’m going to make it a point to bring (and wear) a pair on any future TATL/TPAC flights regardless of flight length. And encourage my cabin neighbors to ask for them!
Good thinking.

For the slipper-needy, perhaps I may suggest a one-minute "nap" or "shower" at the PL before those blighted flights on which they’re not stocked. In so doing, a pair might become available.
tcdtcd likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2023, 11:38 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
it doesn’t make much difference, they had about 5 mattress pads on SFO-SIN.
ll22949 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.