Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pajamas in Polaris -- Experiences, How to Request UA PJs, Changing Logistics, ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: narvik
Recent changes to United's policy on pajamas and slippers increased the official availability from flights '12+ hours' to flights '14+ hours'.
There are currently (October/November 2023) mixed reports about actual availability, with some shorter than 14-hour flights still being provisioned with pajamas and slippers.

The printed on-board menu reads:

"Sleep soundly in the sky
Slippers are available by request on all international flights, along with pajamas for flights scheduled 14+ hours.
Ask your flight attendant if you'd like them."

Previous Wiki updated February 22, 2023, left here until final eligible routes can be established:

"On flights longer than 12 hours, we also offer 100% cotton pajamas upon request." (https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...laris-FAQ.aspx )
Pajamas are provisioned for about half of the eligible seats.
Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, TPE , AKL , HKG , CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - TLV, NRT, PEK , DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG, CPT, JNB
ORD - NRT, PEK, PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLWEAAQV7X
New flights have been added, and some flights ended)

Note: United employee shop sells pajamas for $9.99 a pair as of 12/10/20

Print Wikipost

Pajamas in Polaris -- Experiences, How to Request UA PJs, Changing Logistics, ....

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2023, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by uanj
Huh? TPE-SFO no PJs but PJs on SFO-TPE?

Maybe the FA means they will be loaded at SFO with (hopefully) enough stock for the round-trip.
SFO to TPE takes 1-2 hours longer or more depending on winds. TPE to SFO is typically under 12 hours and sometimes under 11. I got PJs on SFO - TPE early this year but not TPE - SFO even before the shortages.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2023, 7:54 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by Clemson
SFO to TPE takes 1-2 hours longer or more depending on winds. TPE to SFO is typically under 12 hours and sometimes under 11. I got PJs on SFO - TPE early this year but not TPE - SFO even before the shortages.
I've gotten PJs at least 3 times on TPE-SFO in the last year. So far they have never been out.
kevino likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2023, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
SYD-LAX (8 Set 2023)

PJs available; old design (Polaris Logo on back of shirt)

Oddly, very few people choose to use them - maybe because it seems like a day flight since it leaves at 9:30a?
jjschonhoff likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2023, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
Originally Posted by Clemson
In the past, if one leg/block time of a route qualified for Pjs, then the return trip of that route also had PJ's. I would think UA would continue this policy as opposed to taking winds into effect.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 3:53 am

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Huh? TPE-SFO no PJs but PJs on SFO-TPE?

Maybe the FA means they will be loaded at SFO with (hopefully) enough stock for the round-trip.
It would be nice if she meant that, but I don't think so. She seemed certain. I hope she is wrong though.

She was the purser and a very active one. She wrote notes to all the 1k's and gave her own unique boarding and landing announcements.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2023, 3:17 pm

Programs: United, Marriott, National
Smile Post Sept 20

Any updates on the new pajamas? Or will this be announced Oct 3?
Old Oct 1, 2023, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The new October 2023 Polaris menus now say "Slippers are available on request on all international flights, along with pajamas for flights scheduled 14+ hours"

So a downgrade on a few routes to no pajamas.

Pajamas now only on flights >14 hours according to the October 2023 Polaris menus. Hopefully they don't plan to announce other downgrades on October 3.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 1, 2023 at 12:30 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Oct 1, 2023, 6:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Slippers “on request” is itself a downgrade. Should be automatically provided. The PJ downgrade is lousy too
drewguy likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by Doppy
The new October 2023 Polaris menus now say "Slippers are available on request on all international flights, along with pajamas for flights scheduled 14+ hours"

So a downgrade on a few routes to no pajamas.
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Slippers “on request” is itself a downgrade. Should be automatically provided. The PJ downgrade is lousy too
14+ is going to eliminate a lot of routes. Too bad. IAD-HND is 13 hr 55 min for example.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 7:16 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Doppy
Pajamas now only on flights >14 hours according to the October 2023 Polaris menus. Hopefully they don't plan to announce other downgrades on October 3.
Based on that cutoff, which markets lose PJs? West Coast to Japan?
Old Oct 1, 2023, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by EWR764
ORD-HND would lose it.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 7:43 am

Programs: UA LT 1K 3MM (former 12 yr GS), Bonvoy Amb/LT Plat
So basically PJs only on SIN, AUS/NZ, and SAfrica?
Am I missing any?
Old Oct 1, 2023, 8:07 am

Programs: United, Marriott, National
14+ is going to eliminate a lot of routes. Too bad. IAD-HND is 13 hr 55 min for example.
So is SFO to TVL…. I’d be curious if those flights have them?
Old Oct 1, 2023, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by NeuroLogixTech
So is SFO to TVL…. I’d be curious if those flights have them?
They should. TLV-SFO clocks in just over 15 hours. Hopefully United will provide a firm list.
Old Oct 1, 2023, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by EWR764
I think Weast Coast to Japan was already below the threshold. SFO-TPE and IAD-HND will lose pj's if they follow this exactly while EWR-HND won't. I am surprised the Japan flights will not get slippers, I think that is a miss on UA's part.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 1, 2023 at 12:27 pm Reason: split post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.