Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pajamas in Polaris -- Experiences, How to Request UA PJs, Changing Logistics, ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: narvik
Recent changes to United's policy on pajamas and slippers increased the official availability from flights '12+ hours' to flights '14+ hours'.
There are currently (October/November 2023) mixed reports about actual availability, with some shorter than 14-hour flights still being provisioned with pajamas and slippers.

The printed on-board menu reads:

"Sleep soundly in the sky
Slippers are available by request on all international flights, along with pajamas for flights scheduled 14+ hours.
Ask your flight attendant if you'd like them."

Previous Wiki updated February 22, 2023, left here until final eligible routes can be established:

"On flights longer than 12 hours, we also offer 100% cotton pajamas upon request." (https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...laris-FAQ.aspx )
Pajamas are provisioned for about half of the eligible seats.
Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, TPE , AKL , HKG , CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - TLV, NRT, PEK , DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG, CPT, JNB
ORD - NRT, PEK, PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLWEAAQV7X
New flights have been added, and some flights ended)

Note: United employee shop sells pajamas for $9.99 a pair as of 12/10/20

Print Wikipost

Pajamas in Polaris -- Experiences, How to Request UA PJs, Changing Logistics, ....

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2023, 4:31 am

Just boarded NRT-EWR and FA said “United no longer offers PJ’s on flights beneath 14 hours but just this month”. The inbound was from DEN but that shouldn’t matter since this route is a route that UA says offers PJs.

i didn’t want to argue but that seems either wrong, FA wanting to avoid a rush on PJs, or some stupid corporate policy that for July 2023 we will increase the limit from 12 hours to 14. This is a 12 hr 40 min flight.

oh well.

anyone have any recent PJ experiences?

Last edited by sternmd; Jul 31, 2023 at 4:42 am
Old Jul 31, 2023, 4:41 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sternmd
Just board NRT-EWR and FA said “United no longer offers PJ’s on flights beneath 14 hours but just this month”

i didn’t want to argue but that seems either wrong, FA wanting to avoid a rush on PJs, or some stupid corporate policy that for July 2023 we will increase the limit from 12 hours to 14. This is a 12 hr 40 min flight.

oh well.

anyone have any recent PJ experiences?
TLV-EWR just under 12 hours but they always had pajamas. Early July they didn’t have. I was told there was a shortage.
Old Jul 31, 2023, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by Noanker1
TLV-EWR just under 12 hours but they always had pajamas. Early July they didn’t have. I was told there was a shortage.
the PJs supply chain? More like quiet cost cuts.
rhwbullhead likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2023, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
None offered on my IAD-HND (13.5 hrs) and HND-IAD (12.5 hours) this month. Both times the FA allegedly went to look for them and came back empty handed and just shrugged.

-RM
Old Jul 31, 2023, 5:11 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
EWR-HND on July 26 had pajamas. FA went down the isle offering them to everyone, and also did the same for MATTRESS PADS!
SPN Lifer and Warriorconcept like this.
Old Jul 31, 2023, 8:52 am

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
This has been well documented the past two months. Allegedly supply chain issues with pj provider so they are strategically deploying them on only the longest flights (like SFO-SIN). I had 4 12 hours flights in past two months, none of which had pajamas (but qualify under the original “rule”).

Maybe new PJs are coming with the rumored new amenity kit?
Old Jul 31, 2023, 9:30 am

Imagine how easy it'd be for them to source a batch of generic PJ's to fill this temporary supply gap
goodeats21 likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2023, 9:40 am

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
Originally Posted by FlyingHighlander
Imagine how easy it'd be for them to source a batch of generic PJ's to fill this temporary supply gap
I had read somewhere that the company the provisioned from went bankrupt/ out of business (not confirmed); so that may have taken UA off guard.
Old Jul 31, 2023, 10:31 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
SFO-SYD late last month had none.

SYD-SFO earlier this month had them, but they were not proactively offered. By the time I asked (a few hours after takeoff), the FA told me she thought they were out of my size but she would go check. She came back to me about an hour before landing, said they did indeed have some but she had forgotten to bring them to me, and offered to give me a pair to take with me...
Old Jul 31, 2023, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by FoxFlyer
I had read somewhere that the company the provisioned from went bankrupt/ out of business (not confirmed); so that may have taken UA off guard.
If true, they could maybe go back to the original design then (presuming they were from a different supplier); the original ones were nicer, IMO.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2023, 3:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
The latest grey pants are thicker and have pockets. Dare we say UA upgraded the quality v the thin no-pocket/string pants circa 2020-2022

The OG dark PJs are still my favorite, but the latest pants are pretty good!
SPN Lifer and miamiflyer8 like this.
Old Aug 1, 2023, 1:16 am

Programs: UA MM 1K/*G & Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
On FRA-SFO last week, on July 24, the FA mentioned that they sometimes have a limited supply of PJs as this is 11.5 hr flight but he didn’t find any that day…
Old Aug 1, 2023, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Both times the FA allegedly went to look for them and came back empty handed and just shrugged.
Should have pushed them for that $20 ETC.
Old Aug 1, 2023, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by FoxFlyer (Post # 413)
Sometimes it really is the supply chain.
uanj likes this.
Old Aug 1, 2023, 7:19 am

Programs: MileagePlus GS
I had two flights from AMS-SFO-SYD back in May/June and only had PJ's on one of the four transpacific flights. I was told they were changing the supplier and it should take one month and the new PJ's would be back. Apparently the process is taking longer. Another great example of poor UA communication. Why not pro-actively inform all Polaris passengers that there is an issue so we can then decide to bring our own change of clothes or PJ's onboard. Make a small gesture of points or anything to those disappointed by the lack of amenities on board. How hard is it to communicate this? If this takes as long as the ordinal supply issues with the Polaris Sundae Bowls, we are in for a good year and half without PJ's at least :-)
narvik and Warriorconcept like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.